Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
I've installed OS X Server Leopard and all seems well.

Basically I want to use this machine to host a few websites (web, FTP, MySQL, mail, and DNS). I have a static IP. I need to know how to create name servers for this machine so it can manage DNS. Also, when I add a site in the Server Admin application, will it automatically add the entries to the DNS for me? Any tips for a beginner?

Thanks

MacPomme

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2007
I've installed OS X Server Leopard and all seems well.

Basically I want to use this machine to host a few websites (web, FTP, MySQL, mail, and DNS). I have a static IP. I need to know how to create name servers for this machine so it can manage DNS. Also, when I add a site in the Server Admin application, will it automatically add the entries to the DNS for me? Any tips for a beginner?

Thanks

As a thought have a look at the video tutorials available here. I found the $25 great value and my OS X Server Mac Mini is running as clean as a whistle thanks to me being able to "look over someone's shoulder" while I set it up.

As they say, if you get the DNS correct everything works like a charm, but if you don't ...

Hope this helps.
Cheers
MacP

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Hi, I'm not exactly sure about the DNS but there are some great free video tutorials here that I have been watching to learn about using a Mac server:

It is a series, scroll down the page to view each section.

http://www.freemacblog.com/category/server-video-series/

There is also an episode telling you how to set up a dynamic IP address with a domain name for those interested.

thanks for the link. i'll check it out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.