Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

will.i.am

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Hello, I just received a iBook (1.2 30GB 512mb) no cd include, but I have a macbook tiger cd.

I wanted to do a fresh installation of tiger or even leopard but when I have the macbook tiger cd and press "C" it just goes start to the desktop without loading the CD.

When I load any CD/DVD i am about to view the content of the CD/DVD within tiger, but I just can't boot it to do a fresh installation.

Also when I click on Option, it doesn't give me the option to set the boot devise.

Is there any other way to do a fresh installation of Tiger onto this laptop?

Thanks in advance. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You cannot use a disc from another machine to install OSX onto this machine, especially since one is a PowerPC machine and one is an Intel one. You'll need to purchase a retail version of Tiger, or another version of OSX released after the iBook's build date. :)

will.i.am

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
You cannot use a disc from another machine to install OSX onto this machine, especially since one is a PowerPC machine and one is an Intel one. You'll need to purchase a retail version of Tiger, or another version of OSX released after the iBook's build date. :)

Thanks for the reply, so I will need to find a copy of Apple osX Tiger for PPC?

Any more input would be great!

ssmithonline

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Hello, I just received a iBook (1.2 30GB 512mb) no cd include, but I have a macbook tiger cd.

I wanted to do a fresh installation of tiger or even leopard but when I have the macbook tiger cd and press "C" it just goes start to the desktop without loading the CD.

When I load any CD/DVD i am about to view the content of the CD/DVD within tiger, but I just can't boot it to do a fresh installation.

Also when I click on Option, it doesn't give me the option to set the boot devise.

Is there any other way to do a fresh installation of Tiger onto this laptop?

Thanks in advance. :)

My ibook G4 uses the "option/alt" key to boot from the cd. Don't know anything about the compatibility issues, I'll leave that to the guru's here.:D

will.i.am

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
My ibook G4 uses the "option/alt" key to boot from the cd. Don't know anything about the compatibility issues, I'll leave that to the guru's here.:D

Thank you, I will try OPTION/ALT later today. :)

PS, would I be able to install Leopard on this system? Would I just boot the CD from the Drive? Thanks in advance.

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006
press "C"
click on Option

Just checking - you do know you have to hold it down, right? Your choice of words make it sounds like you just pushed the button once and let go.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just wanted to make sure it isnt something simple :). Using option should give you a boot menu regardless of wether or not there is a bootable cd or drive available - it should just list solely your hard drive.

will.i.am

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Just checking - you do know you have to hold it down, right? Your choice of words make it sounds like you just pushed the button once and let go.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just wanted to make sure it isnt something simple :). Using option should give you a boot menu regardless of wether or not there is a bootable cd or drive available - it should just list solely your hard drive.

Yea thanks for the input. I held down "C and Option" (I tried together and separately), but to no avail. I even tried holding down "T" to enter TDM but also it doesnt boot to TDM.

Any extra help? Seem to be stressing me out.

ssmithonline

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Yea thanks for the input. I held down "C and Option" (I tried together and separately), but to no avail. I even tried holding down "T" to enter TDM but also it doesnt boot to TDM.

Any extra help? Seem to be stressing me out.

It sounds like there's no system folder on the disk you're trying to boot from, or its a dvd install disk and your Ibook only has a cd rom drive, and thats why it wont pick it up. I could be wrong but that's what it sound like to me.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
First, the iBook G4 1.2 has either a combo drive or a SuperDrive so it is not the disc. You cannot boot off of a disc made for an Intel Mac, regardless of what you try. I would suggest buying Leopard and installing it. Also, you have to wait until after the startup chime before holding down 'c' or 'option', otherwise the computer just thinks the key is stuck.

will.i.am - A fan of B.E.P.?

TEG

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
I have the same problem with quite a few boot CDs including Diskwarrior, Techtool and my retail Leapord disc on my MBP. Sometimes it will boot, sometimes not. It also has the problem of failing to write quite a few of my ISOs with Toast. I just have to call Apple once I buy my extended Applecare. Luckily I have a spare external Lacie DVD drive which I use for most of my disc boot problems.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I have the same problem with quite a few boot CDs including Diskwarrior, Techtool and my retail Leapord disc on my MBP. Sometimes it will boot, sometimes not. It also has the problem of failing to write quite a few of my ISOs with Toast. I just have to call Apple once I buy my extended Applecare. Luckily I have a spare external Lacie DVD drive which I use for most of my disc boot problems.

You may need to clean the drive. I had a problem playing burned CDs and DVDs in my PowerBook's combo drive. I used my aunts CD/DVD player cleaner (with brushes on the disc) and now I can use them both.

TEG

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
Maybe, but my MBP is only 5 months old, and I keep it wrapped like a newborn baby;-) Ive experienced quite a few mac cd/dvd drives that don't boot being that Im a computer consultant, but its just the position I am in, always fixing broken computers for people, not using ones that work correctly. Its just frustrating that MY personal laptop superdrive does not work as well as it should.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Holding C at startup boots from the CD or DVD drive. Holding OPTION at startup gives you a panel to choose your startup volume. Neither of these options will let you boot a PowerPC Mac from an Intel Mac's disc. :)

neyser0

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011
try going to your desktop, click on Preferences , open start up disk and highlight your bootable disc, Click restart and your MAC Will try to boot from your disc before it tries your Hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.