Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vikingen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
I am trying to use multiple page numbering formats in iWork Pages 08 but I cannot figure out how to do this, or if it is at all possible. I am placing my page numbers in the footer but I am requiring a rather complex system. I am writing my university thesis paper, and this makes page numbering a headache. First off, my Cover page and Abstract page cannot have page numbers on them, then the Table of Contents and Preface must use the Roman numberal page numbering Format. Finally, when I reach the Introduction down to the reference pages, those will require the Arabic page numbering format. Is it at all possible to have these mulitple page numbering Schemes present in a single document? Or am I forced to write every section as a separate document (which completely renders the Table of Contents application useless). Please help becuase I have tried everything I can think of and I do not know why this feature is unavailable. furthermore, the steps for ensuring your coverpage is without a number is just rediculously long. Thanks in advance.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
I am trying to use multiple page numbering formats in iWork Pages 08 but I cannot figure out how to do this, or if it is at all possible. I am placing my page numbers in the footer but I am requiring a rather complex system. I am writing my university thesis paper, and this makes page numbering a headache. First off, my Cover page and Abstract page cannot have page numbers on them, then the Table of Contents and Preface must use the Roman numberal page numbering Format. Finally, when I reach the Introduction down to the reference pages, those will require the Arabic page numbering format. Is it at all possible to have these mulitple page numbering Schemes present in a single document? Or am I forced to write every section as a separate document (which completely renders the Table of Contents application useless). Please help becuase I have tried everything I can think of and I do not know why this feature is unavailable. furthermore, the steps for ensuring your coverpage is without a number is just rediculously long. Thanks in advance.

You can use different numbering in different sections (Insert > Section Break). Just in the section you're in (you can't be in the footer, keep the cursor in the main page), open the inspector and go over to the "Layout" tab, then click "Section" and you'll see the option "Use previous headers and footers." Simply uncheck this box and you can use different numbering systems for each section.

Vikingen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Thanks

Thank you, Yea, I see now how to do it, it still took me awhile to figure out how to get my sections working the way I wanted, but I think I finally got the hang of it... Just hope I remember what I did for the future. I have been so use to using Page Break, now I have to get use to using Section break.

Thanks for the help, this was turning into a nightmare for me, I knew there had to be way.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
Thank you, Yea, I see now how to do it, it still took me awhile to figure out how to get my sections working the way I wanted, but I think I finally got the hang of it... Just hope I remember what I did for the future. I have been so use to using Page Break, now I have to get use to using Section break.

Thanks for the help, this was turning into a nightmare for me, I knew there had to be way.

Remember, you can still have page breaks within a section break if you need them. And no problem. I actually had no idea how to do this until you asked either. Then I tried to think the Mac way and thought "what would make the most sen? Hmm...it makes sense to me that a new section should allow me to use a new page numbering system. I'll try that. But how do I find the option to turn this on? Oh! The inspector under 'Section'..." :D I'm sure there's a way to do it in Word, too, but, not knowing how already, I know it would take a lot longer for me to figure out...

Vikingen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Table of Contents

Ok, so now that the section breaks are properly reporting their different styles of page numbering, how can I get the TOC to adjust by using the Roman numerals and Arabic number schemes which are present in my document? Is this one possible, because it is only producing the Arabic numerals.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Ok, so now that the section breaks are properly reporting their different styles of page numbering, how can I get the TOC to adjust by using the Roman numerals and Arabic number schemes which are present in my document? Is this one possible, because it is only producing the Arabic numerals.

I've never actually tried what you are doing, but I do know that the TOC doesn't update until you click on its text box. Have you tried that?

Vikingen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Toc

Yea, I have updated it and tried to change different settings, but I can't figure out if there is some special thing I have to do.

Vikingen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Toc

So you're saying TOC shows no page numbers at all for the Roman numeral numbered pages?

The TOC only lists the page numbers in the Arabic format, but I want it to list the Roman numerals as Roman numerals, and the Arabic's as Arabic's. hope that makes sense. Basically, I want the TOC to list the page numbers in the format they are in within the document. but it is reverting back to only one style and that is the Arabic format.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Turns out "this is not a bug, it's a feature." From Pages Help:

Pages: Table of contents uses Arabic numerals only

When you create a document in Pages, you can add page numbers to your pages, and even choose a numbering format (such as 1, 2, 3; A, B, C; or I, II, III). If you create a table of contents (TOC) for your document, the TOC will always display page numbers as Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3), even if you selected a different format for your page numbers (such as if you chose the letter scheme A, B, C).

If your page numbers are not Arabic numerals, your document may be difficult to navigate since the TOC and page numbers won't match. As a general rule, you should use Arabic numerals to number your pages if you plan on including a TOC so that the TOC will reference page numbers correctly.

If you've used a different numbering format, you can edit your TOC using this workaround:

Export your document as an RTF (Rich Text Format) document (from the File menu, choose Export, then select the RTF radio button in the resulting dialog).
Open the RTF in Pages (from the File menu, choose Open or drag the RTF file onto the Pages icon in the Dock).
Manually change the numbers in the Table of Contents section so that they match your page number scheme.
Please note that some of your formatting may change during this process and may need to be corrected.

This document will be updated as more information becomes available.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I suppose there is no hope for an update on this, to let us choose how WE want our document to look like?

I don't know. I never gave this any thought until you asked the question but I wouldn't be satisfied with the suggested work-around either. I suppose since they have provided a way around this limitation, it might actually be seen as a deficiency to be corrected, not a "feature." Also, when I started looking at this problem I discovered the method for setting page numbers to Roman numerals -- very non-obvious!

Vikingen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
I don't know. I never gave this any thought until you asked the question but I wouldn't be satisfied with the suggested work-around either. I suppose since they have provided a way around this limitation, it might actually be seen as a deficiency to be corrected, not a "feature." Also, when I started looking at this problem I discovered the method for setting page numbers to Roman numerals -- very non-obvious!

And converting to RTF is not a viable workaroud because those who would actually need multiple number formats would most likley also use a very sophisticated document formatting which would be severely damaged during the conversion process. It would take too long to try and fix all those issues. Also I doubt RTF formatting would keep any tables, pictures, graphs etc... Is is possible to just export the TOC, make the changes then import it back into the original document? This would be atleast a final step taken just before printing or converstion to PDF or whatever format one would choose. As it sits right now, my TOC looks rediculous and inconsistent with the number formats.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
And converting to RTF is not a viable workaroud because those who would actually need multiple number formats would most likley also use a very sophisticated document formatting which would be severely damaged during the conversion process. It would take too long to try and fix all those issues. Also I doubt RTF formatting would keep any tables, pictures, graphs etc... Is is possible to just export the TOC, make the changes then import it back into the original document? This would be atleast a final step taken just before printing or converstion to PDF or whatever format one would choose. As it sits right now, my TOC looks rediculous and inconsistent with the number formats.

If I understand it right, Apple's suggestion was to use RTF conversion to paste the TOC back into into the original document. Essentially, this turns the automatic TOC into a manual TOC, so it would have to be your very last step. This is an extremely inelegant solution, to say the least.

Snookaroo

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
Roman Numerals?

Can you enlighten me because I'm still looking for how to set Roman Numerals as page numbers in a Section!

solveig

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
Guys, I must say, you saved my life! I have had the same problems, handing in my thesis and requiring Roman as well as Arabic numbers, including an introductory section without page numbers at all. Reading this I understood it all! So, thanks to you for having this conversation! :)

Macishman

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2009
Is it at all possible to edit the TOC page manually and just insert a roman numeral somewhere? I tried it, but couldn't find a way to make it happen. I'm hoping I missed something.

Molnies

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
Sweden
I know this thread is old, and that the original poster has handed in the thesis a while ago (I'm assuming)... but I thought it was a good idea to just let everybody that finds this post via searches that Pages '09 actually has a working TOC.

I just did a quick try, and I used both Roman numerals, Arabic numerals as well as a, b, c numbering. It worked perfectly, showed up in the TOC without any editing etc, so the "feature" has been fixed in the latest version of Pages.

Happy writing everybody!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Is it at all possible to edit the TOC page manually and just insert a roman numeral somewhere? I tried it, but couldn't find a way to make it happen. I'm hoping I missed something.

You can't add arbitrary text to a TOC, but you can change the source text, and you can add text above, below, or alongside the TOC box. You can also define the list styles within the TOC for different numbering styles, but that won't help if the sections are already numbered within the body of the document.

I know this thread is old, and that the original poster has handed in the thesis a while ago (I'm assuming)... but I thought it was a good idea to just let everybody that finds this post via searches that Pages '09 actually has a working TOC.

I just did a quick try, and I used both Roman numerals, Arabic numerals as well as a, b, c numbering. It worked perfectly, showed up in the TOC without any editing etc, so the "feature" has been fixed in the latest version of Pages.

Happy writing everybody!

I don't think the TOC feature has changed very much.

Molnies

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
Sweden
I don't think the TOC feature has changed very much.

Like I said, I just tried it out and it works just like the thread starter was asking for. I'll attach an image of a very simple TOC that uses different numbering techniques.

Attachments

• Pages09TOC.png
    Pages09TOC.png
    45 KB · Views: 123

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Like I said, I just tried it out and it works just like the thread starter was asking for. I'll attach an image of a very simple TOC that uses different numbering techniques.

So you are saying that the work-around referenced in post #10 is no longer necessary?

Molnies

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
Sweden
So you are saying that the work-around referenced in post #10 is no longer necessary?

Exactly. What I did was to divide the documents in different sections (section break), uncheck the "use previous headers & footers" box under Section, and added a Page number to the footer. Right-click on the page number to select style and select "Start at:" under Section to have it always start at the first number no matter what style (i.e. a, i, 1). Then insert a TOC and it uses the correct numbering styles that you see in the footer.

So nothing weird at all, everything that is already described in this thread, only difference is that it works out of the box now with Pages '09. So if you save it as a pdf-document the page numbers in the TOC will be linked to their page, even when they use Roman numerals or a, b, c.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.