Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddk121

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Wales, UK
Would you recommend doing an SMC reset on a MBA? If so, how do I do it? I'm having problems with battery charge times...:(

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
How long do I hold them down for? Is something suppose to happen with the machine?

The computer will eventually startup, once it starts up you should be fine.

That sounds misleading, as if you hold them until the machine starts up.

The correct procedure according to Apple™ is you press them down together once with the power button and let go. You then Wait 5-10 seconds and then press the power button again as normal to start up your computer.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
That sounds misleading, as if you hold them until the machine starts up.

The correct procedure according to Apple™ is you press them down together once with the power button and let go. You then Wait 5-10 seconds and then press the power button again as normal to start up your computer.

I was going with my experience with other machines, coupled with the fact that the battery was built it. I just assumed that you would hold it down, the PMU would reset/cycle, then the computer would activate.

TEG

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I was going with my experience with other machines, coupled with the fact that the battery was built it. I just assumed that you would hold it down, the PMU would reset/cycle, then the computer would activate.

TEG

Yeah they changed it for the macbook air. Normal pmu/smc reset on the macbook and macbook pro is take the battery out, press power button
Put battery back in and then power up as normal. Obviously they had to change this for the MBA.

VS007

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2008
My MBA did not restart, no display, no keyboard light and pressing the power button for long did not help either. In the end saw the link above and followed these three steps mentioned in the link and my MBA came to life and is working now. :)

Force Quit (Option-Command-Escape)
Restart (Control-Command-Power)
Force Shut Down (press the power button for 10 seconds)

Any issues in running the above commands?

This line in the link concerns me, how come SMC becomes unstable?
Over time, the settings in the System Management Controller may become unusable, which can result in operational anomalies with the computer.

Regards

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
It is a PMU reset, with the computer off, hold down Command+Option+Power+Shift.

TEG

I don't think it has been PMU (Power Management Unit) since the PowerPC days. The first intel computers had SMU (System Management Unit) chips and the newer ones have SMC (System Management Controller)

...to the best of my knowledge.

EDIT: I guess the later Power Mac G5s were the ones with the SMU, not the first intel machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.