Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benhg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Hello

I have a G5 with an Nvidia 7800GT graphics card. what are my options if i need to have 3 monitors running at the same time (currently i can only have 2).

Thank you

Ben

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
1) Add a second video card. This will have to be a Mac card compatible with your particular machine

2) Accept the compromises and go with one of the Matrox Dual or TripleHead2Go products

benhg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
1) Add a second video card. This will have to be a Mac card compatible with your particular machine

2) Accept the compromises and go with one of the Matrox Dual or TripleHead2Go products

I have a Dual 2.3Ghz PowerPC G5
2Gig Ram
Nvidia 7800GT

what other graphics card will i need to get? will putting in an additional Nvidia 7800GT do the job, or will i need to purchase 2 new graphic cards?

Thanks

Ben

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I have run 3 monitors for the past 12 years on all my Macs. I just retired a Dual 2.0-Gig G5 that had 3 monitors connected for the past 4 years. I now have a new Mac Pro running 3 Sony 23" CRTs.

What I always do is hook my Main monitor to the card in the fastest (lowest) slot and then buy a second PCI card, put it in slot 2 and hook up the other two monitors to it. That gives me full speed to the main monitor that may be used for video often. I had an ATI 1900 in my latest G5 as a second card, but you will just need to see what is compatible with your particular machine.

smogsy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2008
if i was you ive just get a good 24ich LCD might have lower resolution but you will love the extra space heck if you got space for 3 23ich crts you could fit 6 LCDS :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.