Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Yeah, I can rent whatever I like, but what about buying a movie (not that I'm inclined to buy < DVD quality)?

I guess we would purchase through iTunes on our computers?

This seems like an interesting decision on Apple's part, perhaps to avoid the many "I didn't mean to buy it, I just wanted to rent it!" complaints?

Could they have positioned this any stronger as a rent-only box?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
It was an odd choice. If you can sync back music that you purchased, likewise you should be able to sync back movies. Personally I would like to see if a movie is "Purchasable" when I am browsing the Apple TV. To know what my options are.

The problem lies in the fact that many more movies are rentals than available to buy and some movies that you can buy are not rentals though that is less common. I think most purchase movies can be rented as well.

The other problem is that Apple would have to separate the search for rentals and purchases otherwise people would search for a movie to find it not available as a rental. I can see how this would get too complicated and confusing. As far as a rental box, besides the fact that it has so many other features with music, photos, podcasts, youtube, etc., I think Apple found out that people like to own music and tv shows, but would rather rent movies, even as much as well love to buy DVDs. That and I guess the studios really don't like the purchase model.

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I agree. The movie selection on iTunes before rental was real slim. Too slim. I don't understand why the studios will let you rent the move and not purchase it even though you can go to the store and purchase the DVD. Its like the studios are not happy with Apple's DRM but I think its solid enough. After all, you could just go to the store and buy the DVD and rip as many copies as you want.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
The other problem is that Apple would have to separate the search for rentals and purchases otherwise people would search for a movie to find it not available as a rental. I can see how this would get too complicated and confusing. As far as a rental box, besides the fact that it has so many other features with music, photos, podcasts, youtube, etc., I think Apple found out that people like to own music and tv shows, but would rather rent movies, even as much as well love to buy DVDs. That and I guess the studios really don't like the purchase model.

That's an interesting take that I hadn't considered.

And BTW, I was truly happy with my Take 1.1 Apple TV, so I have no complaints about Take 2. And in another thread, I describe how painless purchasing music and syncing to my iMac was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.