Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youradhere4222

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
So... I had my iPod Touch in my backpack with a gatorade which I was sure I sealed up, but apparently I didn't.

So, a bit of Gatorade got on it, but it was only there for a couple of minutes.

At first, the screen turned black with white lines scratching across it, and now the Apple logo is frozen on it.........

Any suggestions?

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
So... I had my iPod Touch in my backpack with a gatorade which I was sure I sealed up, but apparently I didn't.

So, a bit of Gatorade got on it, but it was only there for a couple of minutes.

At first, the screen turned black with white lines scratching across it, and now the Apple logo is frozen on it.........

Any suggestions?

The problem with Gatorade is that it isn't water and therefore won't evaporate without leaving residue, like the simple sugars in it. You might want to try giving it a nice "massage" to try and get the liquid out, but it may have dried up, so leave it next to a window where there is sunlight and let it all get out (if it hasn't been a while).

Check the infamous "headphone water indicator" and see if it changed color (look inside the headphone jack with a light and see if you see a color change from "black"). If it hasn't changed color, you could chance taking it to an apple store and having it replaced for free.

skir0987

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
You could try restoring it if somehow by coincedence there was a firmware malfunction when the gatorade spilled... but I doubt that would work.

Shep

gbross

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
A year ago I packed some Hot Sour Soup in my backpack next to my Palm TX. When I got to work I discovered the TX covered in a garlicky soupy slime. I let it dry out for a few days.

It booted up fine but the WIFI capabilities were lost forever. :confused::eek::confused:

Is Gatorade made in China? Hot Sour soup is.

ydb1914

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
the swamp
A year ago I packed some Hot Sour Soup in my backpack next to my Palm TX. When I got to work I discovered the TX covered in a garlicky soupy slime. I let it dry out for a few days.

It booted up fine but the WIFI capabilities were lost forever. :confused::eek::confused:

Is Gatorade made in China? Hot Sour soup is.

you did not LOL :D...

my advice is do not place all your eggs in one basket :cool:

youradhere4222

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Okay, so I'm to look down the headphone jack with a light, what exactly am I looking for, again?

delude

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2007
UK
Okay, so I'm to look down the headphone jack with a light, what exactly am I looking for, again?

If it's black then take it back,
if it's red it might be dead.

There are people who have had a similar problem but have turned the red indicator back to black somehow. Its worth searching around, but I'm pretty sure they didn't use paint.

bnizzy

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
NYC
i've heard of this method for cell phones when dropped in water... maybe it could work.

get some alcohol, the kind thats close to upper double digit percentage... do a quick search. ppl use it for cleaning chipsets and other electrical devices. i forgot what its called tho.

I've heard you dip the cell phone (submerge) and when you pull it out, the alcohol will eliminate all water.

Actually, as i was typing this i realized why this wouldnt work. you cant disconnect the battery.........

hmmm....

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Yeah because you can press out the water by kinda massaging the back a little. Seriously I tried this with my old iPod and it worked to get some water in the inside out.

do you still have that pod? Does it still work? Has it reciprocated? :D

davidy

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
not that hard to open up the touch case.

what do you have to lose?

do a google search on how to do it.

What you have to lose is any service that Apple might have otherwise provided. They won't touch a tampered-with unit.

FWIW

I had a cell phone that spent two weeks in a snowbank and was completely soaked and dead when I found it. I put it in the oven at 100 degrees for a half hour and then in front of a fan for a day. After that, it worked again.

pianoman04

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2008
Hope you don't open it. I got my ipod wet, so I simply took it to the Apple store and they replaced it. No questions asked. I didn't even explain to them what happened. I just told him that it wouldn't charge. I'm assuming yours is still within warranty...

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Hope you don't open it. I got my ipod wet, so I simply took it to the Apple store and they replaced it. No questions asked. I didn't even explain to them what happened. I just told him that it wouldn't charge. I'm assuming yours is still within warranty...
A guy I work with forgot to take his 8gb nano out of his pants before washing them. The nano had a wonderful time at the water park, came out, dried off and worked. It did have water droplets inside the screen but the dissipated after a while.

Quasiportnoy

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
I've heard you dip the cell phone (submerge) and when you pull it out, the alcohol will eliminate all water.

DO NOT try this. In this video of Andy Ihnatko, he tries several methods of reviving a soaked cell phone, and alcohol completely destroys it. And I wouldn't recommend putting it in the oven either, since the oven doesn't heat perfectly evenly and this could crack the screen or melt connections if your luck is bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wCNiSFfm6w

youradhere4222

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Okay, it's fully dried, still working, etc.

One problem I'm having is that the battery isn't lasting as it should. I checked the indicator, and it's white. :D

I didn't buy the extra warranty, how long does it last? Will they replace it, no charge.

Also, I bought it from Best Buy. Do I take it back to Best Buy, or the Apple store?

bnizzy

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
NYC
DO NOT try this. In this video of Andy Ihnatko, he tries several methods of reviving a soaked cell phone, and alcohol completely destroys it. And I wouldn't recommend putting it in the oven either, since the oven doesn't heat perfectly evenly and this could crack the screen or melt connections if your luck is bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wCNiSFfm6w

thats freakin VODKA.

I was referring to denatured or isopropyl alcohol for cleaning electronics.
I said UPPER DOUBLE DIGITS PERCENTAGE ALCOHOL.

Vodka is not 90-100% alcohol.

I personally have never tried this, but all i'm saying is that it MIGHT work.

Here are a few websites that has this method, many websites claim this works:

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Laptop-from-Liquid-Damage

http://www.catalogs.com/info/electronics/how-to-save-a-wet-cell-phone.html

Alternative Drying Methods
There is an alternative way to save a wet cell phone that includes an alcohol soak. Alcohol is hygroscopic which means that it attracts water. Soaking your phone in denatured alcohol, or a 95% alcohol solution (regular rubbing alcohol is about 75%), soaks up all the water in the phone. When the liquid is dumped out, only alcohol, which will evaporate, remains. Make sure that the alcohol you use is denatured with only methanol as the chemicals found in other types can be damaging. This kind of alcohol can be purchased at your local hardware store. The alcohol soak may work best for phones that have been damaged by salt water or other liquids such as coffee.

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
Drying method I used was putting it in front of a fridge or deep freeze over night. the vent at the bottom blows out fairly warm air. Worked on all my cell phones.

Who knew.

Fimo

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2007
Toronto, ON
A guy I work with forgot to take his 8gb nano out of his pants before washing them. The nano had a wonderful time at the water park, came out, dried off and worked. It did have water droplets inside the screen but the dissipated after a while.

I managed to do this last night to my 2G Ipod Nano, forgot to take it out of my jacket pocket, it went through a 15 minute wash cycle( detergent and all) and a 5 minute rinse cycle, didn't look too good last night, would not turn on, let it dry over night and through the day today, just connected it to my powerbook and lo and behold its back up again, syncing to iTunes as we speak! woo hoo!

pianoman04

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2008
Okay, it's fully dried, still working, etc.

One problem I'm having is that the battery isn't lasting as it should. I checked the indicator, and it's white. :D

I didn't buy the extra warranty, how long does it last? Will they replace it, no charge.

Also, I bought it from Best Buy. Do I take it back to Best Buy, or the Apple store?

I had the exact same problem with my Ipod. After I got mine wet, the battery wouldn't charge unless it was connected to a computer. I took it to an apple store and they replaced it with a brand new one. If it's still within the year, you should take it to an apple store if you have one in your area.

Vanderville

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
Wet iPod Touch

Yesterday my iPod touch got wet.. i thought it was dead but after it dry i left it connected in the computer.. and suddenly it turn on.. some parts of the touch screen do not work.. sometimes i cant unlock it.. and i think i dont have wi fi anymore.. it still got the warranty.. my question is..can i take it to an apple store with the warranty even if i bought it in another store?:confused: im from mexico

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.