Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeff Hall

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Visited the Irvine Spectrum store today at lunch; they've got Take 2 installed on their demo unit, but they still have the 1.0 boxes on the shelf.

I know apple has stated there is no hardware revision, but being that we're a year later since the original boards were spun, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the low level components have been updated (think capacitors, resistors, etc).

Usually boards get updated to reduce costs, but sometimes they bring additional benefits, such as more reliable components, less heat, etc.

Has anyone seen units in the Take 2 boxes on the shelf yet? Is apple still shipping out old stock with the 1.0 software?

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i guess it's possible that minor parts have been upgraded, but users of the original appletv had reported that their atvs seems to be lower in temperature so i think it's just a software revision.

dont' forget to check out apple's refurb section of their store....cheaper than the stores if you don't mind refurbs.

cheers,
keebler

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
I ordered mine on Valentines day and it arrived this morning. Take 2 box, version 2.0 inside.

It's sitting over there on my shelf heating the room....uh....I mean...downloading my first HD movie!!:D

aviddk

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
SW Oregon
I ordered mine on Valentines day and it arrived this morning. Take 2 box, version 2.0 inside.

It's sitting over there on my shelf heating the room....uh....I mean...downloading my first HD movie!!:D

Jimmy,

I thought you were going to take it apart and tell us if the hardware was upgraded? ;)

colinmack

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
First official new box as far as I can tell - great!

Does anyone know how to tell what has/hasn't changed with the hardware?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
i guess it's possible that minor parts have been upgraded, but users of the original appletv had reported that their atvs seems to be lower in temperature so i think it's just a software revision.

Yes, I forgot to turn mine off, so it was running really hot. I did the software update and after it rebooted, I heard the fan become louder. It does run cooler when sleeping or doing regular stuff.

Playing back stuff that requires more CPU work (like HD or H.264 encoded movies) it still runs hot though...

They probably had to up the cooling in order to play HD stuff...

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
I bought a second ATV this week, from an Apple store. It included Take 2.

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Jimmy,

I thought you were going to take it apart and tell us if the hardware was upgraded? ;)

I asked how I was supposed to tell the difference between one drive and the other....no one said anything!:D If I'm supposed to take 'er apart....well, I might have to answer the question with "beats me!":rolleyes:

Sadly, I had to go to work after only about an hour of playing with it. Can't wait to get home!!:p

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
If it has a different model number then it should have different parts.
Same number no new parts.
Is that right?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
If it has a different model number then it should have different parts.
Same number no new parts.
Is that right?

It's like the new iPod Touch with the new apps - different software load = different model number.

A factory restore on the old AppleTV brings you back to 1.0. On the new ones, it brings you back to 2.0.

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
It's like the new iPod Touch with the new apps - different software load = different model number.

A factory restore on the old AppleTV brings you back to 1.0. On the new ones, it brings you back to 2.0.

Well so much for that idea.
Guess ya got to open it :)

Jeff Hall

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Just an update.... I went back to the store at lunch today. I still saw only the old Apple TV boxes on the shelf. There were two additional boxes next to the live demo unit. The first box was the old 1.0 design. The second box was the new repackaged 2.0 box. It was the only one I saw in the store and grabbed it!

(It was a 40GB model too which is all I really need).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.