Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shlauncha

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Shortly after the release of 10.5.2 I tried to do a clean install and was disappointed to see that time machine would no longer recognize my previous backup archive. I'm sure I'm overlooking something but is there a way to do clean install and maintain my current time machine archive? :confused:

Thanks for any advice!

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
You should be able to boot from your Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" installation disc and select Utilities > Time Machine and restore from there.

shlauncha

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
You should be able to boot from your Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" installation disc and select Utilities > Time Machine and restore from there.

Right, I was able to successfully restore from time machine. My question is if I wanted to do a completely clean install, is there some way to maintain my current time machine archive in order to restore only certain files on my new clean install?

Thanks again.

shlauncha

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Err.. anyone have any insight to this? Am I not being descriptive enough? :D

DropKick

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
This is sort of a question I had. If one does the "restore" option from a time machine backup because you want a clean install, because lets say you're having issues.... wouldn't a mirror image just restore those issues you were having, along with all your files?

Or does time machine just restore user settings, files and etc... ?

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
i think time machine is there to restore your files, if a hard drive crash ever happens.

i don't believe it will create a clean install. a clean install would be, using your original discs and install without apps etc.

shlauncha

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
i think time machine is there to restore your files, if a hard drive crash ever happens.

i don't believe it will create a clean install. a clean install would be, using your original discs and install without apps etc.

What I want is to do a clean install, from scratch.. but maintain the ability to access my old files through time machine. I'm just wondering if this is possible. :cool:

friedymeister69

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
For some reason, I restarted my computer and it just refused to boot into OSX, not even in safe mode. The mouse would have the spinning thing and would not boot up. However, windows was fully functional.

I booted off the Leopard install DVD and restored via time machine. For some strange reason, random programs either stopped working or disappeared completely. The built-in dictionary has vanished, somehow there's no program file for dashboard but it still works, adium, firefox, and camino stopped working and disappeared from the programs folder. After reinstalling them, however, they retained all the data.

Does anyone know if there is a way to correct this (Note: these applications disappeared from the Time Machine folders as well) or where to download dictionary? Thanks.

shlauncha

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, so this is the answer I was looking for. :rolleyes:

"With the new menu bar icon for Time Machine introduced in 10.5.2, there comes a very easy way to browse through non-default Time Machine archives. Just click the new Time Machine menu bar icon, and hold down Option. When you do, the Enter Time Machine menu item will change to Browse Other Time Machine Disks."

tray

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2006
Yeah, so this is the answer I was looking for. :rolleyes:

"With the new menu bar icon for Time Machine introduced in 10.5.2, there comes a very easy way to browse through non-default Time Machine archives. Just click the new Time Machine menu bar icon, and hold down Option. When you do, the Enter Time Machine menu item will change to Browse Other Time Machine Disks."

I have the exact same question as OP. However, I wish to continue backing up to the old Time Machine backup and not simply view the files in it.

Is that possible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.