Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hassouni

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
I just picked up a first gen Mac Mini with a USB wireless adapter. It set up OK and recognize and connects to the wireless network in my house, but the Network utility says the mini does not have an IP address and can't connect to the internet. What can I do about this?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
In System Preferences -> Network is the mini set to obtain its IP address via DHCP? Is there any special software to control the USB wireless? Are you sure it doesn't have an AirPort?

Which first gen Mac mini? G4 or Intel?

hassouni

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
In System Preferences -> Network is the mini set to obtain its IP address via DHCP? Is there any special software to control the USB wireless? Are you sure it doesn't have an AirPort?

Which first gen Mac mini? G4 or Intel?

DHCP: yes

G4

hassouni

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Just screwing around, I changed it from DHCP to BootP, which gave me an IP address, but I still couldnt connect. I opened up network diagnostics, and it only supports modem, ethernet, or airport....what can I do!

hassouni

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
update: BootP gave me IP, no internet. Manual DHCP with plugged in IP address works! But, shouldn't automatic DHCP work too?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
update: BootP gave me IP, no internet. Manual DHCP with plugged in IP address works! But, shouldn't automatic DHCP work too?
I'm not sure how OS X is interacting with the USB wireless. You're fine using DHCP and a manually assigned IP address.

delver

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
Having the same problems. Help!

I have a mac mini without an airport card. I bought an asus usb wireless adapter to connect to my airport express network, but haven't been able to get it to work. The asus adapter works fine on another network, so I know the problem is with my network. It shows up as connected with a strong signal in the "USB wireless Utility" program.

I'm on sonic.net with a static IP address (I believe) and which uses DHCP. I've tried "Using DHCP with manual address" setting and the IP address that sonic gave me and an address from my netgear router, neither seem to work.

The asus adapter shows up as an ethernet adapter and assigns itself what I understand is an internal Mac IP address if I set it to DHCP (169.254.147.92)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

delver

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
thanks, let me clarify...

I now have the DSL modem connected to a Netgear router, with one line going out to an airport express. If the mac mini is connected by ethernet to the router, it works fine with "Using DHCP" and it gets an IP address of 192.168.0.13

If I put in a manual IP, should it be the same one as above or what?

I also just got off the phone with OWC support and the guy said I should switch my airport express to use a 13 digit ASCII password. I don't have access to the airport express currently, but does this even make sense? I got the hex equivalent for the password and entered it in the USB Wireless Utility and it seems to be connected to the network. Well, I guess it's worth a shot...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.