Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uva25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
I just discovered the Picture Settings in Handbrake which shows you, I assume, the quality I should expect. What do people use this for? Can I tell from this if I will have bars or not? Can I tell if I need cropping or not? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
I just discovered the Picture Settings in Handbrake which shows you, I assume, the quality I should expect. What do people use this for? Can I tell from this if I will have bars or not? Can I tell if I need cropping or not? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

You will see black bars on in the preview window if they are going to be included in the encode. It's useful for setting the "cropping" of the image. (The more black bars, the larger the file size. Removing them means that Handbrake won't have to include that info in the file, and :apple:TV will do the right thing when displaying the file.)

Most people have this set to automatically crop the image, removing all black bars.

The image should also show you if interlacing will be an issue. If you can see horizontal lines in the image, you'll need to check the deinterlace box.

There's a complete guide on the Handbrake forum that should help you muddle through. Most people just select the Apple TV preset, check the picture for interlacing, make sure the cropping is correct, and then they start it up.

Have fun.

uva25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
You will see black bars on in the preview window if they are going to be included in the encode. It's useful for setting the "cropping" of the image. (The more black bars, the larger the file size. Removing them means that Handbrake won't have to include that info in the file, and :apple:TV will do the right thing when displaying the file.)

Most people have this set to automatically crop the image, removing all black bars.

The image should also show you if interlacing will be an issue. If you can see horizontal lines in the image, you'll need to check the deinterlace box.

There's a complete guide on the Handbrake forum that should help you muddle through. Most people just select the Apple TV preset, check the picture for interlacing, make sure the cropping is correct, and then they start it up.

Have fun.
Thanks. I assume the lighter gray bars at the top/bottom are ok in the preview screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.