Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
? - just ran out of space before the question mark :)

so, as the question says really. I have a folder full of videos - about 55GB worth which - if I have to - I'll convert to appleTV compatible formats. But they are a mix of different formats, some .avi, some .mp4, some .wmv. They all play in VLC.

Is there any way to test which ones will sync/play directly on appleTV? I know I'll have to convert some of them, but I'd like to reduce that list down as much as possible.

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
I don't know, but if you use Visualhub to convert them, then you select the 'AppleTV' preset to ensure it'll work on the AppleTV

Visualhub works perfectly and so far for me its done it everytime.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Select one of each file type and add it to your iTunes library and see if they play on the Apple TV. Use the preference to copy files to library preserving the original in its original location.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Use mpegstreamclip to cut off little test piece, then open them in Handbrake and convert as you like or just use the AppleTV preset.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
dates, people, look at the dates

how do you find threads this old that need an answer?
do you have an answer and then go looking for a question so you can answer it?
maybe to promote whatever it is you're selling in your signature?

when this was asked there was no appleTV 2 (or 3), no app store, and people didn't have to ask what version of iPhone you had, because there was only 1

terrance.e.green

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2015

when this was asked there was no appleTV 2 (or 3), no app store, and people didn't have to ask what version of iPhone you had, because there was only 1

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010

Sorry man, then why do you care about it and post?
I found the thread because it was displayed under another recent video topic thread. - and why not answer for future reference, when people may search and find this thread?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.