Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marykay9507

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
no, but I would much rather be with him than the drama queens I am friends with-- there is no drama with him!

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I rarely spend time with anyone other than my partner, who I've been with for 5 years, 4 months and 10 days.

It's because we get on so well, we live together, and I always have so much work to do, I find it difficult to meet with the few good friends I have.

David

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
well i used to hang out with my girlfriend all the time. we did this for two years or so until she recently broke up with me:( i regret not doing more stuff with my friends, i lost quite a few of them and am struggling to get back in tight with them. i enjoyed every minute with my gf but i should have balanced it better because now it hasn't worked out so well....

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Yeah It seems like a lot of guys share the same events as me. When I'm single I have a really happening social life but once I meet a girl I really like and start dating her I loose contact with all my friends...

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
We have the same group of friends (how we met) so we do spend a lot of time with our friends.

Seems like davidjearly and started going out with our partners at the same sort of time, half a month behind me.

Aug 6, 2007
well i used to hang out with my girlfriend all the time. we did this for two years or so until she recently broke up with me:( i regret not doing more stuff with my friends, i lost quite a few of them and am struggling to get back in tight with them. i enjoyed every minute with my gf but i should have balanced it better because now it hasn't worked out so well....

Same thing happened with me.

'cept now (3 months on), I have all my 'our' friends and strangely a lot that were 'her' friends.

I won that relationship! ;)

O.P. I used to spend every minute possible with my girlfriend. Big big mistake :)

pointycollars

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
Cincinnati
Nope. My girlfriend usually tags along but I hang out with several different groups of people, sometimes with her, sometimes without, and she doesn't mind at all. She's not the jealous type, and I love that about her.

I had an ex that was like that though. She used to want to stay in all the time and got suspicious when I hung out with people and she didn't come along. One of the reasons we didn't work out :)

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I rarely hang out with people other than my girlfriend...for a number of reasons. Besides for my girlfriend, the people I work with are some of the best friends I have, but they aren't really the 'let's do something outside of work' type. I'm 26 years old, and I didn't go to a "traditional" college...didn't room in a dorm, lived with my parents through the duration of it, and I didn't make a ton of friends. I spent most of my time working. The friends I made there, as well as the ones I made in high school, pretty much all moved away/vanished off the face of the Earth. And believe me, it's not due to lack of trying to keep in touch with them. My best friends literally disappeared...never heard from them again. It sucks...oh well.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Right now it's difficult getting the time even for my SO, let alone anyone else :(

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
I spend most of my free time with my girlfriend and / or her friends that have adopted me.

I don't have that many friends of my own of late.

bosxe

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Chicago
I went through 2 relationships that both lasted 2.5 years each, and during both we spent every second of spare time together. No good.

I am currently single, and obviously loving it, but when I do find someone next I think I'll take a little more time for myself/friends/family.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
I am single, but when I have dated I did find it better to not spend having free minute with her. Sure we would keep in contact if we weren't together via instant messenger or email but I was still able to get my work done and enjoy my hobbies that my ex girlfriends were not interested in. Then on Friday and/or Saturday we would go out. Obviously might be different now if I got into a steady relationship that led the chick to move in with me (being as I am actually finally getting me own place). I figure either way works, though it would take some getting used to spending every free minute with a partner as I have enjoyed personal freedom for so long (and then even more to come when I have my own place).

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I went through 2 relationships that both lasted 2.5 years each, and during both we spent every second of spare time together. No good.

I am currently single, and obviously loving it, but when I do find someone next I think I'll take a little more time for myself/friends/family.

i think you hit the nail on the head there. like i said i was in your shoes. i love being in a committed relationships, but i now know better to give myself the time and space i need, otherwise i just end up regretting it if the relationship doesn't work out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.