Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Techsavyfreak

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
What is the difference between these two, and why does secure empty trash take sooo much longer to empty than normal empty trash?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
The data sectors being erased are over-written with zeros to ensure the data is truly gone (as opposed to a normal empty trash where the data is only marked to be overwritten, and could be recovered).

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
From what I understand, Secure Empty Trash will write random 1s and 0s over where the data was previously physically placed on the drive so the data is unrecoverable.

J

jmadlena

Empty Trash just tells the OS that these files can be written over at a later date. They aren't actually deleted (read overwritten) until the OS needs to put something there.

Secure Empty Trash actually deletes the file right there by overwriting it with 0's, I believe. And in Disk Utility you can overwrite it 1, 7, or 35 times I believe for security purposes.

This might just be a very simple way of looking at it. Someone please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

Techsavyfreak

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
The data sectors being erased are over-written with zeros to ensure the data is truly gone (as opposed to a normal empty trash where the data is only marked to be overwritten, and could be recovered).

Are the trash files added in time machine? if they are, if you secure empty trash, would that erase them from time machine?

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
Are the trash files added in time machine? if they are, if you secure empty trash, would that erase them from time machine?

Interesting question. I've pondered this myself.

Do some searching on the Apple Discussion forums and see what you can find.

Techsavyfreak

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Empty Trash just tells the OS that these files can be written over at a later date. They aren't actually deleted (read overwritten) until the OS needs to put something there.

Secure Empty Trash actually deletes the file right there by overwriting it with 0's, I believe. And in Disk Utility you can overwrite it 1, 7, or 35 times I believe for security purposes.

This might just be a very simple way of looking at it. Someone please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

So, would that mean that all those files are still taking up space on my hard drive?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

You're absolutely right. Disk Utility can even wipe an entire drive 1, 7, or 35 times if you have sensitive data (corporate files, government papers, etc.) on it and need a replacement.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
So, would that mean that all those files are still taking up space on my hard drive?
Technically the data is still there, but it is still available space (i.e. it is free to be overwritten).

It's no different with Secure Empty trash, but instead of the original data it's random data.

Techsavyfreak

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Technically the data is still there, but it is still available space (i.e. it is free to be overwritten).

It's no different with Secure Empty trash, but instead of the original data it's random data.

Ok, thanks. I'm just curious though, how could you recover those files that you emptied from the trash?(not secure empty)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.