Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
Does it support 1080p (1920 x 1080) output with dvi to hdmi to plug it into my hdtv??

EricVT

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Or 1280x720p?

(sorry to steal your thread, hoping someone can answer both because I'm curious about both)

waywardsage

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
CA
I've wondered this myself. However, can this card decode Blu ray? say, if I upgraded my DVD burner to a Blu ray drive in the future? I'm getting a 17" Macbook Pro. So it'll matter to me.

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
I've wondered this myself. However, can this card decode Blu ray? say, if I upgraded my DVD burner to a Blu ray drive in the future? I'm getting a 17" Macbook Pro. So it'll matter to me.

You don't need a special graphics card to decode blu-ray. It just accelerates it so your CPU doesn't have to do all the work. The following features probably only work in Windows Media Player unfortunately.

NVIDIA PureVideo® HD Technology
•Dedicated on-chip video processor
•High-definition H.264, VC-1, MPEG2 and WMV9 decode acceleration
•Advanced spatial-temporal de-interlacing
•HDCP capable
•Noise Reduction
•Edge Enhancement
•Bad Edit Correction
•Inverse telecine (2:2 and 3:2 pull-down correction)
•High-quality scaling
•Video color correction
•Microsoft® Video Mixing Renderer (VMR) support

EricVT

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Thank you!

Can't wait to get my soon-coming MBP hooked up to my 52" DLP and 5.1 system. It will likely sit on my component shelf hooked up just like that most of the time when I don't have it out and about.

waywardsage

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
CA
Can you download Windows media player for Mac? This may be a stupid question, i'm not a mac user just yet.

JWest

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Can you download Windows media player for Mac? This may be a stupid question, i'm not a mac user just yet.

I don't believe they make it for Mac anymore (though I think they used to). Anywho, you can download Flip4Mac (which is free) which let's you play various windows media formats in quicktime and iTunes.

Tracer

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Use VLC it will play anything you throw at it.

Including those pesky MKVs.

Tracer

DallasDeckard

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
Would I just use a regular adapter?

yes.

yes

I ran an external 24" 1920x1200 display off my gen1 macbook - you'll have no problem running high resolutions w/ this videocard.

Thanks for answering this question. I was wondering, do I just need a simple DVI-D to Component adapter, or something more exotic?

I saw this one:

http://sewelldirect.com/product.asp.../RpN/Scik6pIE5gswHfyITW4iVFDRshMIR7dqVvrLHvhN

but it says it's designed with "ATI chipsets" in mind. I see plenty of DVI to Component adapters, and just wondered if that would do the trick. Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.