Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SKANLEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Hello everyone, I purchased an iphone for my girlfriend. It was unlocked and jailbroken already and had the Installer 3.0. She didn't want to re-type all her contacts so she tried snycing it through iTunes on her lap top (Window's XP).

I really don't know what happened but now the iPhone says "NO SIM card installed, Insert an unlocked and valid SIM to activate iPhone"

Can someone guide me to the correct information to get this iPhone up and running again. I greatly appreciate it. Thank's guys!

macbookhamburg

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
you´ll probably have tp waita week or so then just restore it from itunes to 1.1.4 and unlock, activate and jailbreak it with ziphone.
if you can somehow restore to 1.1.3 do that and use the current ziphone or ijailbreak for mac

SKANLEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
obviously she updated it as you didn't tell her not to!

Dammit, I should have been smarter then this. I feel so stupid, just spent another $350 to buy the iPhone and now it can't be used because we have Tmobile.

I tried running AppTappInstaller and read through the directions. Started up iTunes and now it gives me an option to upgrade or to restore to factory settings. Now this phone is about 6 months old. Should I click on the "restore to factory settings?

The phone now is stuck with an icon of a plug and an arrow pointing towards a CD icon. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.

Anything I can do at this point guys? I've been trying to figure this out for the past 2 hours and I think I'm going to try tomorrow when I get off work.

munroe

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Ireland
You can try to downgrade by restorning the iPhone with an earlier version of the firmware. You're phone may be old enough that you can also downgrade the baseband - which you may need to do to unlock it.

Problem is, there aren't any examples of doing this from 1.1.4 yet. You may just have to wait as the previous poster suggests. Keep an eye on ZiPhone. Once it works on 1.1.4 for unlocking it will probably be the easiest option.

SKANLEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
You can try to downgrade by restorning the iPhone with an earlier version of the firmware. You're phone may be old enough that you can also downgrade the baseband - which you may need to do to unlock it.

Problem is, there aren't any examples of doing this from 1.1.4 yet. You may just have to wait as the previous poster suggests. Keep an eye on ZiPhone. Once it works on 1.1.4 for unlocking it will probably be the easiest option.

Thank you, so your saying what she did was update the version to 1.1.4? There is no way I can see that because its stuck on that screen that i mentioned above. Do you think at this point it will be okay to do the "restore to factory settings"? Because I cannot even use it as an iPod, basically can't use the phone at all? Thanks again for your help.

SKANLEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
I took a picture of where the iPhone is stuck on

2299781257_9922b45c56.jpg

macbookhamburg

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
ziphoneblog says he´s testing it and it worked on 1.1.4 and it will be realesed realy soon.... (read something about a few hours)
so you might not even have to wait that long ... !

SKANLEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
ziphoneblog says he´s testing it and it worked on 1.1.4 and it will be realesed realy soon.... (read something about a few hours)
so you might not even have to wait that long ... !

Okay thank you, so for now I should not CLICK on the RESTORE on iTunes just yet?

SKANLEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
So it looks like Ziphone 2.5 has just been released. Is this the solution to my problem?

SKANLEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Check here for instructions:
http://www.hackthatphone.com

Also google around there is a way to add/extract the contacts from the SIM if that's your case.

I don't have T-Mobile so those are my 2 cents to help.

So I found out that my phone is still in version 1.1.3 because I typed in that code in the emergency call and saw that it was still 1.1.3.

Now what do I do? Just a quick note, I do not have an att sim card only my tmobile sim card. Just wanted to add that in. Thanks!

SKANLEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
ZiPhone the iPhone with the 2.5 version and it works now. Yay, thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.