Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
China
I am having a major problem with Firefox (latest 2.0 version) on my MB Leopard 10.5.2. This afternoon I was browsing with it when it crashed and now when I try to open it I get the message that a copy is already running. There is nothing showing up about FF in Force Quit, and from the reading I have done on Google, apparently it is a file called .parentlock which is causing the problem.

However I cannot locate this file, I downloaded Onyx, in order to unhide files, and still cannot find this file. I have run repair disk permissions and nothing popped up - I have my Leopard disk ready at hand, but do not want to go there unless I have to.

Is there any way to remove ALL references to FF and then reinstall?

Any ideas, thanks in advance

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
do you see a firefox process in activity monitor ? if so, kill that process.

no need to reinstall everything just yet.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
China
Nope, nothing in Activity Monitor, then when I try to open it the FF icon appears there, I get this message :

"A copy of Firefox is already open. Only one copy of Firefox can be open at a time."

and then it crashes.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
ok, if a reboot of the machine won't help.

You can always create a new profile, remember copy out your bookmarks and passwords first. and you will need to re-install extensions and themes.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
China
I tried a reboot several times, I also switched to my admin account but that was the same.

I will reboot again anyway, thx for the advice clevin :)

Rebooted - no joy.

You mean a new profile for FF? But it won't open

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I tried a reboot several times, I also switched to my admin account but that was the same.

I will reboot again anyway, thx for the advice clevin :)

Rebooted - no joy.

You mean a new profile for FF? But it won't open

yes, you don't need to open firefox.

Just goto ~/library/application support/firefox, rename the folder to something else as backup.

then try open firefox again.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
China
there was no FF folder, but one for Mozilla so I renamed that instead

same error :(

duh - I went into the wrong area, did as suggested and now have FF back - thx. I will try to get the bookmarks etc from the previous profile if I can.

Many thanks clevin :) :cheers:

yes, you don't need to open firefox.

Just goto ~/library/application support/firefox, rename the folder to something else as backup.

then try open firefox again.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
there was no FF folder, but one for Mozilla so I renamed that instead

same error :(

lol, not Macintosh HD->library

its your username/library

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 972

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
See my previous edited post, you are too fast, clevin!

LOL, :) glad it worked. Firefox 3 will have better protection of your profile upon unexpected crash...

also, about bookmarks and passwords, if you still have that backup folder, go in there, you can find your bookmarks (bookmarks.html) and passwords (signon*.txt and key*.db) you can copy those 3 files to the same location of your new profile folder, that should give back all your bookmarks and passwords.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
China
Thanks for the help.

I have used FF3.0Beta for several months but went back to 2.0 for addon compatibility. BTW, should there now be another new FF folder as there is no sign of one in that Library area now?

I am such a FW - it is indeed there, sorry!

LOL, :) glad it worked. Firefox 3 will have better protection of your profile upon unexpected crash...

also, about bookmarks and passwords, if you still have that backup folder, go in there, you can find your bookmarks (bookmarks.html) and passwords (signon*.txt and key*.db) you can copy those 3 files to the same location of your new profile folder, that should give back all your bookmarks and passwords.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
BTW, should there now be another new FF folder as there is no sign of one in that Library area now?

yes, firefox will create a new one upon open, if it couldn't find a profile folder at that location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.