Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Ok, I might be buying a used 1.5GHz PPC, 1.25 GB RAM, 12" powerbook. One catch is that it will be running a "clean install" of Leopard, with the disc included. I remember mixed reviews of Leopard on powerbooks when it was first released. So, is this a positive or a negative? Will leopard slow down the 12" powerbook or will it run perfectly fine with those specs?

Thanks for any help!

Ado

Pees330

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
I had Leopard running on my iBook 1.33ghz 1.5gb and it ran perfectly. I didn't notice any slowdown from Tiger to Leopard. Your powerbook should be able to run it just as well I suppose.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
I can tell you that with my PowerBook (1.33GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 160GB HD) it actually speeded things up from my previous installs (Tiger and Panther, both used very close before upgrading so I can give a fairly accurate assessment)

Leopard flies on this machine. It feels like new quite honestly. That later 1.5GHz model will have the 64MB Vram too, so you'll get the whole graphical experience too!

Good luck!

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I'm going to be loading it on a 12" PB 867 with 640MB RAM as I was told it would run just fine on that.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
I have it running on my wife's iBook G4/1.33 and 512MB RAM. It runs good, although she doesn't do anything very intensive. I am looking to upgrade the RAM to 1.5GB soon.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
Not that you need more assurance at this point, but...

I installed Leopard on my 15" powerbook (1.25 Ghz, 1 Gig ram) and it's snappier than ever! :cool:

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I've got exactly the same spec'ed machine with an upgraded higher rpm hard drive. If I had my time again I'd disagree with the majority here and would stick with tiger.

For most things Leopard is fantastic, but my two biggest sticking points would be spotlight and safari's history. I've found them both significantly slower under leopard. Spotlight is almost unuseable now - it may as well just be a search. If I bring up history under safari (anything longer than today's history) I get beach balls. These are only really deal breakers for me seeing as I use both features in my common day to day use of the machine. Seeing so many other people expouse Leopard on a 12" perhaps my experience is an isolated one though and just coincidental.

cujoe86

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
I run leopard on my iBook 12in, 1.33, 512 ram and 40 gig hard drive. Runs just fine. You shouldn't have a problem

the mars volta

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
well, leopard in my PB 1.33 Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram, and 64VRam is choppier than any OS ever was... when I have more than 4 or 5 applications open exposé is choppy. not to talk of spaces... horrible transitions!

Yeah, cover flow is not bad, and quick view is quite fast.

I installed Leopard but now I'm back to Tiger, everything's so smooth here! And much, much faster...

I don't understand how you can say that Leopard is fast on your G4 Mac's (compared to Tiger 10.4.11)... It really is useable, but not as much as Tiger is!

Oh, I did a clean install, upgraded to 10.5.2 with the Graphics Update too... still slow that way.

Regards.

brandon.vong

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2007
well, leopard in my PB 1.33 Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram, and 64VRam is choppier than any OS ever was... when I have more than 4 or 5 applications open exposé is choppy. not to talk of spaces... horrible transitions!

Yeah, cover flow is not bad, and quick view is quite fast.

I installed Leopard but now I'm back to Tiger, everything's so smooth here! And much, much faster...

I don't understand how you can say that Leopard is fast on your G4 Mac's (compared to Tiger 10.4.11)... It really is useable, but not as much as Tiger is!

Oh, I did a clean install, upgraded to 10.5.2 with the Graphics Update too... still slow that way.

Regards.

I agree! My 12 inch PB is maxed out and I have reinstalled Leopard MANY times with no noticeable difference. Leopard runs slower on mine compared to Tiger for some reason.

the mars volta

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
Posting from my 1GHz 12" Powerbook. Leopard runs fine.

ok... Leopard runs fine, but I bet that Tiger runs great! :)

Leopard runs fine too on my PB 1.33GHz, but Tiger is way better for my machine.

Let's just face it, the PowerPC's are being left behind... even the new SDK Software for developing iPhone applications is Intel only, and only just on Leopard... That's not fair Apple!

Regards!

the mars volta

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
I agree! My 12 inch PB is maxed out and I have reinstalled Leopard MANY times with no noticeable difference. Leopard runs slower on mine compared to Tiger for some reason.

Brandon, you can compare your MB Pro perfomance with your PB...
what do you think?

jonswan

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
Leopard runs pretty slow on my PB 12 inch 1.0 with 768 RAM. On Tiger it was much faster and I am debating whether to switch back on that machine.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
i have a 1.5 12" with 1.25 ram it runs great feels even a little better than tiger

sjb

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
I've run leopard on my 1.5G PowerBook with 1G of RAM without any problems at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.