Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jstrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Can you add memory to an iBook G4. And can the new airport extreme card be installed in the same computer. It has an airport extreme but I don't think its the newest one

nl2134

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2006
Your Airport Card should be fine. If it works, don't bother with it...

Memory can be maxed out to 1.5GB. You should do it - quick, simple, relatively cheap.

You can add a bluetooth card if you need to...

Finally, you can improve your hard drive. I wouldn't recommend it - it's extremely to take apart.

Good luck

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Yes, there is one memory slot. You can put in up to a 1GB stick. Older iBook G4s came with 256MB and later ones came with 512MB. Adding 1GB will bring you to 1.25GB or 1.5GB, respectively.

No, I am unaware of any way to upgrade the iBook G4's internal 802.11g card to 802.11n.

I am unaware of any way to add Bluetooth internally.

Sage Harupyuia

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
Can you add memory to an iBook G4. And can the new airport extreme card be installed in the same computer. It has an airport extreme but I don't think its the newest one

yep, you can add memory to a G4. Just lift the keyboard, and you're good to go. ;)

as for the airport...if it aint broke, dont change it.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Some of the iBook G4s came with built in Bluetooth. I think it was standard on only the 1.33GHz, which I have.

If you were to see detailed pictures of how the Bluetooth module is connected in one of those iBooks, you could theoretically stuff one of the boards into an earlier one.

jstrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Ibook upgrades

Can anyone reccomend a good place to buy memory to add to my iBook G4. I looked at http://www.newegg.com but if anyone has a better suggestion I would appreciate it. Thanks!

sbluetruck

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Wisconsin der hey
Some of the iBook G4s came with built in Bluetooth. I think it was standard on only the 1.33GHz, which I have.

If you were to see detailed pictures of how the Bluetooth module is connected in one of those iBooks, you could theoretically stuff one of the boards into an earlier one.

my 1.42GHz had it standard

and about the Airport Card, can't you unlock the 802.11n feature with a $2 download from Apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.