Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Well now I know there are auto forums out there but since I am familiar with the MacRumors community I thought I would post here first.

Anyways I have just done a lot of body work on my truck including repainting and finally have all the repairs, painting, and polishing finished. But after using both rubbing compound and polishing compound there is some left over residue.

Specifically there is dried on compound left on the heavily textured plastic surfaces and in the crevices between molding and body panels. I can not seem to find a way to remove this white residue. It is impossible to get a towel or polishing pad into the fine crevices to remove it and and toothbrush seems to have very little affect.

What would be a good cleaning product be to remove the caked on compound. I am a little leary of scrubbing with the toothbrush because I do not want to scratch the finish after spending 5 or 6 weekends doing body work.

I should note that I live in Georgia and there is currently a drought so outdoor water use is prohibited. I have to limit my cleaning to liquid I can stick in a bucket or go to a car wash that I can clean the car myself at using a pressure washer. I haven't bothered with the car wash since it is the rainy season and washing the car when it will likely rain in a day or two seems a waste.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Specifically there is dried on compound left on the heavily textured plastic surfaces and in the crevices between molding and body panels.

For the plastic you need a plastic restorer (I use a Turtle Wax one, but the precise name escape me off the top of my head) which will remove the white residue and restore the plastics lustre.

It is impossible to get a towel or polishing pad into the fine crevices to remove it and and toothbrush seems to have very little affect.

What would be a good cleaning product be to remove the caked on compound. I am a little leary of scrubbing with the toothbrush because I do not want to scratch the finish after spending 5 or 6 weekends doing body work.

A hand held steamer is excellent for this kind of job, and won't damage your new paint work. Hardware (and DIY) stores sell them for £20-£30 (probably similar amounts in $), and because they have a narrow head (to increase pressure) it'll fit in more confined areas.

I haven't bothered with the car wash since it is the rainy season and washing the car when it will likely rain in a day or two seems a waste.

Ironically, it'll probably be easier to wash if it's perpetually soaked because the rain will help soften any left over compound. It's the same with removing the accumulated muck underneath your car, you're better waiting until you've driven a long journey in heavy rain so the chassis is saturated, because the moisture softens the dirt making it easier to wash off with a jet wash.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
For the plastic you need a plastic restorer (I use a Turtle Wax one, but the precise name escape me off the top of my head) which will remove the white residue and restore the plastics lustre.

Would this be like Formula 2001 or Armorall? I have both of those I just did not think they would remove dried on rubbing compound.

A hand held steamer is excellent for this kind of job, and won't damage your new paint work. Hardware (and DIY) stores sell them for £20-£30 (probably similar amounts in $), and because they have a narrow head (to increase pressure) it'll fit in more confined areas.

I will have to try that when I have time to do so. Weekends end so quickly.

Ironically, it'll probably be easier to wash if it's perpetually soaked because the rain will help soften any left over compound. It's the same with removing the accumulated muck underneath your car, you're better waiting until you've driven a long journey in heavy rain so the chassis is saturated, because the moisture softens the dirt making it easier to wash off with a jet wash.

I'll try hitting some of the spots during the week since it will probably rain again this week.

Thanks for your help if anyone has other advise please chime in.

DUVIBES4U

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2017
Well now I know there are auto forums out there but since I am familiar with the MacRumors community I thought I would post here first.

Anyways I have just done a lot of body work on my truck including repainting and finally have all the repairs, painting, and polishing finished. But after using both rubbing compound and polishing compound there is some left over residue.

Specifically there is dried on compound left on the heavily textured plastic surfaces and in the crevices between molding and body panels. I can not seem to find a way to remove this white residue. It is impossible to get a towel or polishing pad into the fine crevices to remove it and and toothbrush seems to have very little affect.

I should note that I live in Georgia and there is currently a drought so outdoor water use is prohibited. I have to limit my cleaning to liquid I can stick in a bucket or go to a car wash that I can clean the car myself at using a pressure washer. I haven't bothered with the car wash since it is the rainy season and washing the car when it will likely rain in a day or two seems a waste.
[doublepost=1504888077][/doublepost]Please tell me what to do to get the compound off my car. My first time using it and now it is all over my
hood and trunk and I can't get it off. If there is anyone out there that can tell me what to do.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
284040736-axebuilder-albums-miscellaneous-picture52670-holy-thread-resurrection-batman.jpg

[doublepost=1504888077][/doublepost]Please tell me what to do to get the compound off my car. My first time using it and now it is all over my
hood and trunk and I can't get it off. If there is anyone out there that can tell me what to do.

Try gently working in peanut oil or (some use peanut butter). Do it in small patches. Allow it to sit for a few minutes to soften the dried compound. Then wash away with soap in water.

Do this in shade. Not direct sunlight.

Since you have already polished it. Once you clean it, use Mequiar's Quick Detailer to maintain your paint. It does a good job and is much faster and easier than waxing.
- Use right after washing and drying car
- Use in shade not direct sunlight
- Mist don't soak
- Mist small sections then wipe immediately with a clean dry towel (I do one panel at a time for large sections like a hood or roof I do one half then the other)
- Immediately buff the area with another clean dry towel
- Keep using the "mist" towel to wipe each sprayed section the second towel for a quick buff

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.