Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider claims that a Craigslist casting call for an "iPhone 2" commercial was posted over the weekeng, but subsequently removed.
The listing, which is no longer accessible from the site, sought several specific model types to play different characters in the ad, with filming slated for March 23 - 24 in Los Angeles, Calif.
The site speculates that it may have been at the request of Apple's ad agency, but few details are available.

Article Link

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
But, really, Apple would post a cragslist ad? Probably not. I say probably only beacause they might do anything so.... :)

AuntJemima

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2008
God I Hope So

If they are planning for an iphone 2 release in the spring most its false b/c all other rumors point to the release date as being set for WWDC correct?

but I can always hope!:D

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
But, really, Apple would post a cragslist ad? Probably not. I say probably only beacause they might do anything so.... :)

Have to agree with normar: likely not.

Such casting is usually done by more reputable film and television specific sites. However, even on those sites, the ad only runs for a short time and then is pulled. Doesn't take long to get a wave of interested actors....

Draddy

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
I could see Apple's ad agency using craigslist if they were wanting your average person in the commercial.

having worked in the ad industry, I HIGHLY doubt that they would post an ad and CLAIM it to be an iPhone 2 ad.... they might call for extras for an ad and put Apple's name on it, MAYBE.... but the ad agency would be the one calling for actors, not Apple, and they would NOT list what it's for...

edit: as I'm thinking about this, and my experience with much smaller clientele ... there's NO WAY IN HELL they would list what the commercial is for.

BTW: anyone remember that craigslist is an open anonymous listing site right? I could have put the ad up for all anyone knows.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Doesn't take long to get a wave of interested actors....

.... but the ad agency would be the one calling for actors, not Apple

Um, I'm sorry, but I doubt apple is going thru craigslist to cast models for their commercials. :rolleyes:

Uh, these ads don't use actors or models!

Do you think casting agencies maintain huge files on non-actors? Why would they?

If the post isn't real it will be because they said it was for an iPhone ad. That level of detail is strange and so I'm not convinced it's legit. But the fact that it's on Craigslist isn't all that strange. Again, I ask, how would YOU find random real people?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Sure I believe it

Apple and its ad agency decided to
  • give up the secrecy habit -- it's such a bother to keep secrets
  • recruit actors using Craigslist -- so they'd get real people instead of Hollywood types
  • leak information in a roundabout way -- to build up new iPhone interest
The only mistake they made was that they intended to include the full specs for the iPhone 2 product, including a link to a video walkthough of features, in the ad. They pulled the ad merely so they could add more leaked information and repost it.

:D

Seth VIII

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2006
I think some people here are confusing the "iPhone 2" (3G iPhone) with the iPhone 2.0 (SDK Free).;)

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Uh, these ads don't use actors or models!

Do you think casting agencies maintain huge files on non-actors? Why would they?

If the post isn't real it will be because they said it was for an iPhone ad. That level of detail is strange and so I'm not convinced it's legit. But the fact that it's on Craigslist isn't all that strange. Again, I ask, how would YOU find random real people?

Sorry Kemosabe - ad agencies recruit regularly for "regular people" - also known as "extras". There's even an "extras" actors' union. Trust me on this.

Any time you see an ad like that - on Craiglist or in your newspaper - be suspicious. Generally, they're fake, or designed to snare unwitting individuals to come spend their money on scams.

mountainbiker80

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2007
Apple and its ad agency decided to
  • give up the secrecy habit -- it's such a bother to keep secrets
  • to recruit actors using Craigslist -- so they'd get real people instead of Hollywood types
  • leak information in a roundabout way -- to build up new iPhone interest
The only mistake they made was that they intended to include the full specs for the iPhone 2 product, including a link to a video walkthough of features, in the ad. They pulled the ad merely so they could add more leaked information and repost it.

:D

LOL! Oh, memories of the SAT's. Props! :cool:

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Does anyone else see a problem coming up, how is apple going to handle the iPhone 2? They are building up such a user base, are they going to handle it like their computers where only some apps will run on both and others will require the new model?
Plus if they wanted to switch processors would they totally cut off their user base?

The next updates will probably be 3G, more storage (again) and maybe a better camera (2MP is a weak).

Noeld

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
As an actor I have to declare bull!

An ad of this type would need to be SAG. SAG commercials, and even most non-union commercials go out through the breakdown services. Not through Craigslist. I also agree that the call would never say it was for the iPhone 2. It may say it is for a cellphone, or even say it is an ad for Apple. The reason for this is to avoid conflicts. If you have recently been in a commercial for any sort of overlapping product, then you would be inelligable for this one. This is to make sure you don't see the same actor in an iPhone ad and a Verizon ad or IBM ad. If Apple really wanted to be discreet they could go directly to an individual agency instead of a breakdown service. Probably not though.

As for Apple using "real people". I've been on plenty of auditions for "real people". They ask you what else you do besides acting and that goes down as your sole profession. I would bet everything I own that the iPhone ads are indeed actors.

Iorek Byrnison

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2004
As an actor I have to declare bull!

As for Apple using "real people". I've been on plenty of auditions for "real people". They ask you what else you do besides acting and that goes down as your sole profession. I would bet everything I own that the iPhone ads are indeed actors.

Well...it would be a decent bet...but ultimately you would lose.

Having worked on various previous iPod/iPhone spots I can tell you for a fact:

- They always use a fake project name (NEVER Apple or iPod)
- While they do sometimes interview/audition actors they also use a lot of casting companies that specialize in "real people" casting
- If it is a dancing (iPod) spot they call for "people who can move"
- If it is an interview spot (iPhone) the only real condition is that you own an iPhone and are not connected to Apple or the ad agency (though being a friend of the grandchild of Errol Morris obviously doesn't hurt right Ellen?)

While it is possible that a "real people" casting company may have posted that Craig's List ad...they would have been fired immediately from the spot for violating the NDAs they all have to sign upon being hired.

So that is that.

filmguy15

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
hmmm, sounds like bs to me. I do hope they release the new phone soon though! I won't be buying one, but it'd still be nice to drool over something new....

Batcave

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2005
If it is a fake why was it ripped of Craigslist AND Apple Insider? The link no longer works, which makes me thing Apple's legal department jumped all over them! If it wasn't true why would they care?

Iorek Byrnison

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2004
If it is a fake why was it ripped of Craigslist AND Apple Insider? The link no longer works, which makes me thing Apple's legal department jumped all over them! If it wasn't true why would they care?

Retail and online sales. That is why.

But I am guessing (just a shot in the dark here) that it was dropped because someone reported it as fake to Craig's List.

Simple as that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.