Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dman24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
I have done a lot of research and am ready to take the leap from Windows to an Apple Macbook. After going to an Apple workshop and checking out these forums I have gotten a great deal of useful information. I have one last question before I hand over the cash. I am planning on getting the Blackbook, AppleCare, Microsoft Office and a printer. Amazon has these and is less expensive and also no state tax. However I have heard that at times UPS delivery doesn't treat the packages very well and that makes me a little nervous when I am about to purchase a $1500 machine. Has anyone run into this situation? Also I have heard from a friend that at the end of the year the government makes you pay that tax on any purchases over $300 that hadn't gotten taxed originally.

My last part of this question is customer service at Apple Stores. The customer service has been great even before buying a Mac, and if I go back in there with questions being a new Mac person, I feel that they will be more eager to help if they know that I purchased my machine with them.

Please let me know if anyone has any advice. Thanks a lot. Hopefully I will soon be joining the family of happy Mac users!

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
I would say Apple Store for the MB, eBay for AppleCare, and if you're around the Apple employees in the store often enough, they should recognize you and be more willing to help when you are there. Just so long as you aren't being a pest while you're there.

JNB

macrumors 604
Bought mine from Amazon, and don't worry about the tax. Under the law, yes, you're supposed to self-report, but honestly, nobody's going to be knocking on your door. Besides, I don't believe that the state is entitled to it anyway in this type of purchase (that's my moral conclusion alone).

UPS is no better nor worse than anyone else. Everything I get to my door, whether it's UPS, FedEx, DHL, or USPS all comes in reasonably good condition. (I mean, it made it from China OK, I figure the last few miles won't make much of a difference) I've never had cause for concern, nor any damage to anything. If there is damage, then you have recourse. Don't fret until something actually happens.

Apple won't care whom you bought it from, as you did buy it from them, ultimately. It's not a store purchase, it's a corporate purchase. If you had your MB looked at at an Apple Store in another state, you'd expect the same level of service, wouldn't you? You're an Apple customer, period, you should expect the same level of service uniformly.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I say go with Amazon and save yourself a few bucks. If you ever need to go back to the Apple Store with questions they're really not going to care where you got it from.

Dman24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Thanks a lot, these responses were very helpful! Wish me luck! About to officially become a Mac owner!

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
You really can't best the cost and service at Amazon. I purchased several iMac's, and MB's and they all arrived in perfect shape...

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Well if you're worried about UPS then ship your Mac from Amazon via a different shipping option. You can afford it since you're already saving $200+ through Amazon.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Awesome! Congrats on your purchase.

I also ordered mine from Amazon with no issue. Since I'm a prime member, I only paid $3.99 for overnight shipping. :)

Hoo03

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2007
Virginia
Another +1 for Amazon.

I purchased 2 MBPs from Amazon and they all arrived in excellent condition.
About the Applecare, you may want to purchase it through Amazon as well. On Applecare document, if you ever decide to sell your computer and transfer the warranty, Apple can ask you to send a copy of receipt of both items.

I purchased mine off of eBay to save some $, however, I am regretting that decision now.

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
I have bought all of my Macs from the Apple store here in Birmingham and the Lennox Square store in Atlanta, GA. To me, instant gratification is a big thing!! Also, buying from the Apple store gives you the whole Apple experience IMHO. Either way, welcome to the fold,we are glad to have you and come back to these forums with any questions you may have. The folks at MR are the best/
:cool:

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
There's no question Amazon has great service, and they really do focus on CS. My brother bought a MB a few months ago and when it came the box was already opened. He requested a new MB where the box wasn't already opened and he received it within a week.

yellowecho

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
I have bought all of my Macs from the Apple store here in Birmingham and the Lennox Square store in Atlanta, GA. To me, instant gratification is a big thing!! Also, buying from the Apple store gives you the whole Apple experience IMHO. Either way, welcome to the fold,we are glad to have you and come back to these forums with any questions you may have. The folks at MR are the best/
:cool:

Another MountainBrooker? nice!
Glad to know I'm in good company:D

Gmaster

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2005
Florida
The main downside that I see from purchasing from Amazon is that you can not customize it with extra RAM or a larger hard disk. You must go through the Apple on-line store for that sort. So for stock configurations, Amazon has good prices. Just my $0.02

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
The main downside that I see from purchasing from Amazon is that you can not customize it with extra RAM or a larger hard disk. You must go through the Apple on-line store for that sort. So for stock configurations, Amazon has good prices. Just my $0.02

Actually, it's not a good idea to customize anyway until AFTER you receive your machine. Reason being, you cannot return customized Macs to Apple for refund. IIRC, the policy is exchange only. Besides, you can buy RAM, HDs, etc. much, much cheaper aftermarket than at AS. This from a stockholder, gulp.

Amazon is your best bet, esp. with no sales tax.

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
I agree with purchasing from the Apple Store or Apple.com. I get the education discount and in almost every case the price is cheaper or the same as the other places. I was in Best Buy today and they had the old generation Macbook Pro for $1699 and I can go less than a mile away and purchase the newest one for $1799. So I see no reason the purchase from another source.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
I agree with purchasing from the Apple Store or Apple.com. I get the education discount and in almost every case the price is cheaper or the same as the other places. I was in Best Buy today and they had the old generation Macbook Pro for $1699 and I can go less than a mile away and purchase the newest one for $1799. So I see no reason the purchase from another source.

Well you have an education discount. That's a big difference.

Plus what's tax on $1799? Here and most states it's probably a good $150. That's $1950 total. You can get a new MBP on Amazon for $1850 after rebate.

I'd rather buy from the Apple store, but $1850 on Amazon for a MBP vs $2170 after tax for one at the Apple store makes it next to impossible for me to buy at the Apple store.

Dman24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
I am now the proud owner of a MacBook! I know my excitement is mostly because it is like a new toy, something to learn and enjoy, but something tells me that this excitement wont diminish much. Thanks for all you help everyone. UPS just delivered this great machine to my house and so far so good! I am sure that I will have questions sometime soon. Way to go :apple:

PcBgone

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
My vote is for Amazon. I purchased my wifes macbook on feb 9th this year. When the new macbooks were released I went to the amazon website and saw they had dropped the price down by 105 bux. I called them and the instantly gave me a credit as they have a 30 day post sales gaurantee. I paid 920 after rebate shipped to my door for what apple could only do for 1050 or so with the he discount...

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Not anymore, apparently...

Well if the rebate just expired it will come back very soon. You can go to MacMall too and get basically the same deal. And actually even better if you like rebates because you get free Parallels AR, free printer (or $75 off one) AR and you get a free case AR. Shipping is free AR too. And you get the $150 rebate off a MBP as well.

basura!

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
actually...

The rebate is back up today and the MBP prices have dropped a bit as well. Amazon rules.

Hoo03

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2007
Virginia
I am now the proud owner of a MacBook! I know my excitement is mostly because it is like a new toy, something to learn and enjoy, but something tells me that this excitement wont diminish much. Thanks for all you help everyone. UPS just delivered this great machine to my house and so far so good! I am sure that I will have questions sometime soon. Way to go :apple:

Congrats! Enjoy your new Black Macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.