Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
Just wanted to let everyone know my experience with WD's My Book Studio.

Many people has serious issues with this drive.

I bought one, and immediately upgraded the firmware to the latest version which is supposed to resolve many of the issues.

Well, I only had it for a few days, and I am very satisfied. It is VERY quiet (much quieter than the Time Capsule hard drive), and is VERY fast (on a Firewire 800 port connected to a 24" iMac) and so far it appears to be reliable. The capacity gauge feature works as advertised as well.

I think they really did the right thing with this firmware update. I am running this on Leopard 10.5.2.

I can definitely see myself daisy-chain more of these on the 800 port when more space is required.

I don't have a PPC mac, so no word on resolving problems on that side. I also didn't try to boot from it yet.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Thanks.

Oded S.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I just got 2 new 320 GB MyBooks. How did you upgrade the firmware? I'm just curious.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I'm glad I found this. I've been using a 1TB MyStudio since November. While it work fine most of the time, every once in a while it goes to sleep and doesn't wake up for a Time Machine backup. Hopefully the firmware update will fix it.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Hey MM07.

I downloaded mine from here:

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=39&swid=60

I also downloaded and installed the WD Drive Manager(Mac) from here:

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=39&swid=61

Make sure it is the same for your drive, they are most likely totally different products. My particular product had serious problems with the initial firmware that shipped with it.

I am going to try the first link that you provided.

What do you use the second link for?

Thanks!

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
The second link downloads software for the mac to let you manage the drive. It puts an icon in the top menu bar. Clicking it tells you how much percent of the drive is occupied. I believe this program is also responsible for indicating the capacity on the device itself (it has a capacity gauge, which indicates the remaining space using a light bar).

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
I have a Western Digital MyBook World Edition II 1TB and have never had any problem with it. Then again, I only use it for accessing huge video files, so YMMV. :cool:

AliensExist4

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
I am looking to get the 500gb Studio Edition for my Macbook Pro for Logic Studio files somewhat soon. This will be my first External Hard Drive. When I get it I will download the new firmware and and WD Drive Manager Mac. For the files I want to go into the WD Drive do I just simply drag them from my internal HD to the External HD icon? Any other info I should know would be great. Thanks,

Also, I saw that it has a Fireware 800 to 400 cable as well as the 400 to 400. Would there be any difference in performance or anything to use an 800-400 rather than just a 400-400?

- Patrick

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
I just bought this drive a week ago and it works like a charm!

The price was very low on this drive and I figured I should better buy it at once since I really needed more space.

I am downloading the firmware update as I type as I didn't realize it was important.

I am currently daisychaining to a FW400 drive which I use as a Time Machine backup.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
After installing the firmware update I installed the new WDDriveManager. It acted flakey and at one point the menubar icon stopped respondiing. I have enough problems with Leopard stability, so I removed it again. It isn't necessary to have it.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
For some reason, the icon for the drive manager stopped appearing on the menu bar, so I decided to just remove it as well. Drive is still great though.

I couldn't find the dmg install file to remove the original installation, so I did my first search through time with time machine using time capsule. Worked like a charm :D.

Oded S.

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
That's funny, my unit doesn't report any capacity numbers and the firmware did nothing to resolve the fan issue. This thing is a hoover.

AliensExist4

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
I am looking to get the 500gb Studio Edition for my Macbook Pro for Logic Studio files somewhat soon. This will be my first External Hard Drive. When I get it I will download the new firmware and and WD Drive Manager Mac. For the files I want to go into the WD Drive do I just simply drag them from my internal HD to the External HD icon? Any other info I should know would be great. Thanks,

Also, I saw that it has a Fireware 800 to 400 cable as well as the 400 to 400. Would there be any difference in performance or anything to use an 800-400 rather than just a 400-400?

- Patrick

milkybrainuk

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
UK
I bought this drive a few months ago.
Was very well price for 1tb external drive with all the port/connection options on it.

The main problem i had with it was if i had it connected to my mac via firewire 800 and plugged in the mains and then turn off the mains plug for everything at my desk. Then turn the mains back on and turn on my mac it doesnt mount the drive and i had to unplug the firewire and the mains to the drive. Then plug just the mains in, turn the drive on, then plug in the firewire it would then mount it.

Hope that made some sense.

But all has been fixed with the firmware update. That problem has gone now. Great drive and quiet. Looks nice. But is made out of plastic. So i feel like i have to be a bit more careful with it then my lacie drives.

I dont use any of the software that came with it for the light on the front. Try to keep startup/background appz down to a min.

Oh forgot to add that i only use it for time machine backups

piratezeke

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2008
Okay, sometimes I can't help but ask the dumb question.

I have my first Apple on order (a 2.5 15" Macbook Pro). I still have a Dell Desktop that I need to keep around for various reasons for a while (the plan is if I fall in love with my MBP to probably get an iMac to replace the desktop at some point). Anyway, will this external (or an external in general) work on both a PC and a Mac? Do anything special or can I "plug and play" between the two?

Thanks!

RAlfieri

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
Houston, TX
Does it mean if I were to install this firmware update I must use the software?:confused:

No, you do not need the WDDriveManager software. I just uninstalled it because I am having the sleep of death problem on Firewire as well.

It works fine without the software. I reported it to Western Digital and they sent me on a wild goosechase to see if the drive passed diagnostics. The drive is fine, their software is flaky.

Cheers,
Rob

lwcoffer2

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2007
Are these problems only associated w/ Leopard? Sorry, first time hearing about this.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
No, you do not need the WDDriveManager software. I just uninstalled it because I am having the sleep of death problem on Firewire as well.

What did you do to uninstall it? I have it on my menu bar and it doesn't really do much for me.

gondor123

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
The WD Driver Manager is installed in the App. Support folder.

The WD Driver Manager is installed in the Library/Application Support/WesternDigital director after install on Mac! and accessible in menu bar.
:)

chkdg8

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
I'm thinking of buying this unit from newegg. Any new experiences from users? I've read all of the newegg and Amazon reviews and there seems to be a problem with the unit not going to sleep or turning off when one's mac turns off while connected through FW800 only. Also, what did the firmware update resolve? One of the other comments that had me worried was that daisy chaining was NOT recommended via FW800 by Western Digital themselves. Can anyone shed some light on some of these issues? Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.