Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bart rijksen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
Does google docs work flawlessly on a macbook air? I would have about 5 tabs of it open in safari, be listening to music on iTunes, and probably have one or two microsoft office apps open. Would it run well, on both the 1.6 HHD and the 1.8 SSD? For my class we use a lot of google docs, and i heard that the Macbook air has some flash problems, so i need to know before i buy one.

Thanks in advance

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
I use Google Docs on my G4, and it works fine. Your Air should have no problems.

FYI- Google docs doesnt use flash, it uses Javascript.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
With more than 2 google docs open at a time? Because if that is so than that's great!

Yeah, I use it A LOT. And, like geese said, it uses javascript, which is somewhat heavy, but nothing like flash.

Honestly, if what you do on your computer (outside of media stuff (movies, music, etc) and internet (email, browsing)) is word processing type stuff, whether that be on something like google docs or on native word processors, then you are an ideal candidate for the Air.

ddd269

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Torrance, CA
With more than 2 google docs open at a time? Because if that is so than that's great!

Google docs will run on practically any computer.

I don't know why people think that MBAs are underpowered...

The MBA is more powerful than most notebooks that people own right now (I'm not talking about brand new models). Do you realize that the majority of notebooks didn't even have 1GB of standard memory up until about a few years ago and was running a single core processor? The MBA is a dual core and has 2GB, more than sufficient to do pretty much anything, except professional work like video processing/editing (and only a handful of machines can do this smoothly, even now). Don't even get me started with the HD space... 40GB was considered large on a notebook not too long ago. 80GB was the "Wow" size.

So take comfort knowing that you can probably do 100% of the stuff you want to do without any issues... Either that, or carry a notebook twice as heavy or 100 times uglier than the MBA.

You can buy a mighty machine for the same price(not mac), that can do everything, but it's going to be heavy, clunky and probably unsophisticated. You have to consider that there has to be a balance... You wouldn't take a backpack full of food for a day trek, would you? :confused:

I'm not saying that you think like this... I just think that all the weirdos out there fed you this misconception because of the MBA's size.

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
Firefox...

Depending on what you are dooing sometimes you may need to download firefox and use that for Google Docs... But other then that Safari works 99.9% of the time... Firefox gets that extra .09999%

n1ght

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
Google docs will run on practically any computer.

I don't know why people think that MBAs are underpowered...

The MBA is more powerful than most notebooks that people own right now (I'm not talking about brand new models). Do you realize that the majority of notebooks didn't even have 1GB of standard memory up until about a few years ago and was running a single core processor? The MBA is a dual core and has 2GB, more than sufficient to do pretty much anything, except professional work like video processing/editing (and only a handful of machines can do this smoothly, even now). Don't even get me started with the HD space... 40GB was considered large on a notebook not too long ago. 80GB was the "Wow" size.

I'm not saying that you think like this... I just think that all the weirdos out there fed you this misconception because of the MBA's size.

I agree. I've run Google Docs on a PIII computer running Win98SE. The MBA is around the same power as the $999 range of non-ultraportables sold today and is far from weak.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Ok, super. Thanks a lot everyone, can't wait till i get my air.

Words of advice: Get anything important that can't be done on a computer taken care of now! ;)

As others have said in this thread and others, while the Air isn't a workhorse by any means, it is MORE than capable for most users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.