Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Hey,

how do you go about adding a default icon for when someone adds your website to their home screen?!

I know mac rumors has one and just makes the whole site look better :)

Thanks to anyone that can help

Ben

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Just curious... Is it enjoyable racking up your post count by telling every single user who starts a new thread to search??

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Everybody hasn't been around for five years and I would actually prefer to read answers to these questions rather than have to search for them. I kill a lot of time at work reading through these threads.

Post useful info rather than sending them to search. Makes for a more interesting forum.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Just curious... Is it enjoyable racking up your post count by telling every single user who starts a new thread to search??

I was thinking that!

Can someone give me details etc of where to embed the 'special' PNG file please?

Did a search but nothing useful!

Thanks again

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
I was thinking that!

Can someone give me details etc of where to embed the 'special' PNG file please?

Did a search but nothing useful!

Thanks again

yeah i was trying to do the same thing but every wasnt much help because they assumed i was an expert web programmer or something so i just said screw it. i love getting a response to search other places. its like, i asked this because i searched and didnt find anything

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
UK
yeah i was trying to do the same thing but every wasnt much help because they assumed i was an expert web programmer or something so i just said screw it. i love getting a response to search other places. its like, i asked this because i searched and didnt find anything

So true :)

dvd

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
Massachusetts
WaterSkier, I thought I did a pretty reasonable job of laying it out in this thread, but oh well, I tried.

Here's a tutorial on adding webclips icons to your website.

It just takes a few seconds to throw some keywords into the search box that's in the upper right hand corner of EVERY forum page, as TEG suggests. lostprophet894, if more people did that, you'd spend less time sifting through redundant threads and more time learning cool new things.

For example, searching for iphone website icon leads very quickly to this definitive thread about creating webclips.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
WaterSkier, I thought I did a pretty reasonable job of laying it out in this thread, but oh well, I tried.

Here's a tutorial on adding webclips icons to your website.

It just takes a few seconds to throw some keywords into the search box that's in the upper right hand corner of EVERY forum page, as TEG suggests. lostprophet894, if more people did that, you'd spend less time sifting through redundant threads and more time learning cool new things.

For example, searching for iphone website icon leads very quickly to this definitive thread about creating webclips.

the problem is, it says throw the pic in the root folder of my web documents, but i have no idea where this is. im using iweb.

genshi

macrumors 6502a
do you have to modify any code or just throw the picture in the folder previously mentioned in the post above you?

For most of my regular sites I just throw the png file in the folder, but for iWeb, I had to modify the file. Depending on what your main page is (in my case the index.html automatically redirects to welcome.html in iWeb, so I modified the welcome.html file) just put the following code somewhere between the
Code:
<head>
and
Code:
</head>
tags:

Code:
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="apple-touch-icon.png"/>

I always name my image file apple-touch-icon.png just to keep things consistent.

Hope this helps.

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
For most of my regular sites I just throw the png file in the folder, but for iWeb, I had to modify the file. Depending on what your main page is (in my case the index.html automatically redirects to welcome.html in iWeb, so I modified the welcome.html file) just put the following code somewhere between the
Code:
<head>
and
Code:
</head>
tags:

Code:
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="apple-touch-icon.png"/>

I always name my image file apple-touch-icon.png just to keep things consistent.

Hope this helps.

when i go into the web/sites/ folder i have a folder for my gallery and a folder for my iweb site, does it matter, still throw it in the web/sites/ folder?

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
i put it in the folder previously mentioned. but it wont work. if i go to web.mac.com/brendankirchner/apple-touch-icon.png on my browser on computer or phone, it shows the icon but i cant get it to work for the site

macrat

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2003
Maui
Hey,

how do you go about adding a default icon for when someone adds your website to their home screen?!

I know mac rumors has one and just makes the whole site look better :)

Thanks to anyone that can help

Ben

I use this to place an icon on all the webapps that are in my home screen. Easy to follow :D http://webclip.us/create

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.