Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSlave

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
With the current ease of unlocking and jailbreaking with ziphone, and the plethora of free third party apps along with the ability to choose your own tariff - is there really any reason NOT to hack your iPhone?

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
Sure you suffer a catastrophic problem and are unable to reset your iPhone back to out of the box state and Apple doesn't offer to fix it and you are stuck with a very nice paperweight and are posting here about how PO'd you are that Apple isn't doing anything for you...

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Sure you suffer a catastrophic problem and are unable to reset your iPhone back to out of the box state and Apple doesn't offer to fix it and you are stuck with a very nice paperweight and are posting here about how PO'd you are that Apple isn't doing anything for you...

Considering your circumstance, Apple wouldnt even be able to tell you hacked it if it was this bad. Besides, hacking the phone for a jailbreak isnt illegal.

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Considering your circumstance, Apple wouldnt even be able to tell you hacked it if it was this bad. Besides, hacking the phone for a jailbreak isnt illegal.

it's hard to tell them the issue you had when they know the phone was never activated. it's pretty obvious to them.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
The one disadvantage to me is having to decide whether to upgrade or not when point releases come out. I was on 1.1.1 until just a week or so ago. Granted, I don't really follow the iPhone hacking scene extremely closely, but I didn't want to have to do a lot of work to hack my phone, nor did I want the programs that I was using to not work.

For example, when I upgraded to 1.1.4, I lost the ability to use Customize and ApolloIM without hacking things even further (and more difficultly). If/When 1.1.5 comes out, you'll have to either decide to update and lose your apps, or wait for an update to the jailbreaking process. There's always the "is the update worth it?" question.

idonotliketostu

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
The one disadvantage to me is having to decide whether to upgrade or not when point releases come out. I was on 1.1.1 until just a week or so ago. Granted, I don't really follow the iPhone hacking scene extremely closely, but I didn't want to have to do a lot of work to hack my phone, nor did I want the programs that I was using to not work.

For example, when I upgraded to 1.1.4, I lost the ability to use Customize and ApolloIM without hacking things even further (and more difficultly). If/When 1.1.5 comes out, you'll have to either decide to update and lose your apps, or wait for an update to the jailbreaking process. There's always the "is the update worth it?" question.

I think the its "what will this update do to my phone"

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
With the current ease of unlocking and jailbreaking with ziphone, and the plethora of free third party apps along with the ability to choose your own tariff - is there really any reason NOT to hack your iPhone?

Well right now, we have the fatal errors in bootloader which create bootloader version 3.8 and 3.1, which are mutant versions of its dad (BL 3.9), quite enough to scare anyone off.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK

Well, the problem comes when you see something screwy happening (EDGE not working or some other issue for example). In the back of your mind you start to think "Is this the fact that the iPhone is jailbroken and/or unlocked" or "is this some other legit issue"?

The warranty is also a problem but less so than the above.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
It's the feeling of having to "hack" your iPhone to be able to do the things you want to do with it...

I have to do it, just because I want to be able to make a phone call with it over here in Holland. So, the most basic of functions forces me to hack it, and therefore I can also install 3rd party apps for fun.

But.... If the iPhone was made available in Holland, and once the iPhone 3rd party software becomes available via the AppStore, I know I don't want to hack my iPhone. I probably will buy a new "real" iPhone, and use it the way Apple intended me to. So, being able to update to the latest firmware without hassle, and knowing that all available 3rd party software will work perfectly.
ATM, you have to have faith in the Community....

Imagine having to "hack" your Mac (or PC) to let the latest version of Leopard work on it... Yeah you'll get it to work, but would you really be that comfortable with it? Knowing that every 10.5.x upgrade will probably break your OS (like the "generic Intel/AMD Leopard" install DVD's out there...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.