Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TeachMusic27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
in Oklahoma
Hey Guys,

Quick question. I have an imac running leapord. I also bought an external seagate harddrive to use with time machine. It was working fine for about a month then my mac stopped recognizing the external drive. Any thoughts on what has happened or did I just end up with a faulty external drive??

Thanks for any help you can give me.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I wonder if all the USB ports are getting the same voltage to each one. I know on a MBP that the left port doesn't have the same output as the one on the right so a USB drive doesn't work on the left. Could be the same with one of the ports on the iMac.

siorai

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Is it a Seagate FreeAgent Dekstop? I have one. It's a total and utter piece of crap. I was using it to store HD-WMV content for my Xbox360. I used MacDrive to format it to HFS+ (Oddly enough that's the filesystem the 360 can read, not NTFS). For months it worked fine. Then suddenly it wouldn't be recognized by either the 360 or my pc. No rhyme or reason either. Sometimes it would be there. Other times it wouldn't. I got sick of dealing with it so it just sat there. When I got my Mac Pro I decided to check it out again. No dice. Then I started to search online for a possible solution.

Well... Seems like I'm not the only one having these problems. It turns out that the FreeAgent's logic board inside tends to have a fit when dealing with files larger than 4GB. People had said that removing the drive and accessing it directly there were no problems so it's the interface board that's garbage.

So now I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I've got 500GB of content on it that I would like to not lose, but it's a crap shoot as to whether or not it would even show up when connected then as an added bonus, if it is detected, will it lock up Finder or not when trying to transfer the files off? :mad:

TeachMusic27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
in Oklahoma
siorai,

You are having the same problem i am for sure. My external drive is the same 500GB seagate freeagent. I have also loaded mine up(when it was working i might add) with tons of pictures and video. Much of which was more than 4GB at a time. So it sounds like I'm stuck. :confused:

Thank you for sharing this with me. I hate that we are in this same predicament together. I'm going to try a few other suggestions that was given and see if anything comes of it.

Thanks Again.

siorai

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Cold you get another external enclosure and put the FreeAgent drive in there? I have't seen this yet with mine but I haven't transfered more than about 2 gigs at a time.

Possibly. I'll have to look into it now that you mention it. :)

zahnast

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Open Disk utility (/Applications/Utilities/) and see if your hard drive shows up on the side.

Also open Apple System Profiler (Apple menu>About this Mac>more info) and see if your hard drive show up there under 'usb'.

If they show up in either of those places, it implies that the problem may be with mounting. You may have accidently turned off mounting hard drive on the desktop. Try turning it back on:

Finder>Preferences>Sidebar>tick hard drives

TeachMusic27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
in Oklahoma
My external drive shows up in the system profiler. I went to the sidebar and hard drives was ticked however it still does not show up on the desk top. I have also tried other USB ports. I'm unfortunately still having no luck.

MacNewbie03 could you tell me what another external enclosure is?? I'm sorry I am not very up to speed in all things Mac. ha ha.

All this help has been very great though thanks.

siorai

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Well I finally got around to dealing with this. I just disassembled the FreeAgent completely. The drive inside is just a standard Seagate SATA drive. So I just installed it in my Mac Pro and it's fine. :) I can only assume that doing the same and putting it into a different enclosure will work fine.

musability

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2008
I found a work around to this problem

I have a seagate freeagent pro 750 GB external hard drive and a Macbook that rarely recognizes the hard drive. I have tried everything mentioned in this thread. The only thing that works is unplugging all the other usb devices, then only plugging in the seagate external hard drive.

wila!

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2009
hi, i have a iomega 500gbexternal hard drive which has worked fine up until yesterday, i've tried it on my dads PC and it works fine, it just doesn't show up in finder or on the desktop, system profiler and disk utility both show it? can somebody help me! please! :p

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Have you tried a SMC Reset? I did that once when my Western Digital MyBook stopped responding, even after several power cycles. (Just takes a couple of minutes, and no data on your hard drive is lost.)

I forget the key combination at the moment, but a bit of Googling or better yet MRoogling should provide the steps needed.

mikeytrowsers

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
TX
my iMac won't recognize my drive either

I have been using the same drive for years to back up all my editing work. I rarely move the drive and I can't remember the last time it was accidentally disconnected. One day it just disappeared from my desktop. the drive is a 1TB Seagate Barracuda and the encasement I bought separately from Macally. I feel like I have tried everything, so for convenience sake I'll list everything I've tried:

-used the firewire 400 cable on another drive (cable works)
-plugged my drive into my dad's macbook pro (still didn't recognize it)
-still running fine (I can hear the drive and the power light comes on)
-left it unplugged for a couple days
-tried daisy chaining it through another drive.(still didn't see it)
-plugged another drive into the same firewire port (recognized that drive)
-tried using USB instead (didn't recognize the drive and I know the cable
works)
-checked disk utility (not there)
-checked system profiler (recognizes it, but takes forever to pull it up)
-checked console (turning on drive did not create a message)
-tried PRAM and SMC reset (tried both a couple of times and still nothing)

mbarnhardt

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
My Seagate FreeAgent Go External Drive isn't being recognized either

Hi, My MacBook Pro suddenly won't recognize my Seagate FreeAgent Go External hard drive. It recognized it earlier this evening, but now - nothing!

I can see it in the System Profiler, and the Disk Utility, but every time I plug it into my USB port I get the message that it can't be recognized, and it asks me to "ignore", "repair" or "eject" it.

I don't want to lose the information on it. What can I do?

leskie

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
I was able to fix min by:

click on applications-utilites-disk-utility
then
Disk Utility

In the application, select the hard drive on the left side of the window. Select Erase (aka: reformat) from the top menu. For the volume format, choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Type in a name for the hard drive, and click Erase.
It will erase your disk but once its erased it will work and just back up your computer again.
Good luck.

Hey Guys,

Quick question. I have an imac running leapord. I also bought an external seagate harddrive to use with time machine. It was working fine for about a month then my mac stopped recognizing the external drive. Any thoughts on what has happened or did I just end up with a faulty external drive??

Thanks for any help you can give me.

trishalim

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
macbook's finder not reading the seagate HDD

hi there

i tried SMC reset on my macbook and the HDD still does not show up in my Finder, are there any other way?

i changed the cable too and didnt work.

i can see the HDD in Apple System Profiler (Apple menu>About this Mac>more info) as well as Disk Utility...

how? pls advice if anyone knows what to do?

i cant lose the information inside the HDD

many thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.