Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crabbydaddy2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
at the moment i own a dualie powermac coupled with an apple cinema display aluminum 20" it's getting to be a slow computer

im thinking about buying the imac aluminum refub for 999.00

or

should i purchase an mac mini refurb?

i already have the cinema display but i don't' think that the mini is worth what the price is but the imac is almost too expensive.

would i see a big difference in the mac mini power and imac aluminum 2.00ghz?

in the long run would the imac or mac mini which one in 3 years (probably how long i'd have the computer) be worth more?

is the iMac really worth 1,000?

clyde2801

macrumors 601
To answer your question with a question, what are you planning on using it for?

If it's to do general consumer stuff, word processing, surfing, manage audio or video libraries, etc, then it should be fine. As long as you don't need to burn DVD's.

If you're planning on doing something which is going to squeeze every last processor cycle, get the imac.

crabbydaddy2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
nahh.
what ever i do with my powermac now is pretty fast so this thing should be super fast.

music,basic basic basic photoshop,basic imovie

just basic everything,
this will be the kitchen computer.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Curtain number three is to keep using your old machine for as long as it continues to meet your needs. Or at least until they update the mac mini again.

I switched to the mac in 02 or 03, and what impressed me about them was a writer I knew who was steadfastly using his g3 powermac to make a living. It was such a refreshing change from the bigger, faster, better, cheaper buy it now, obsolete in six months pc mentality that it was part of what convinced me to switch (in addition to the never ending parade of malware infecting my pc).

And if austerity is part of your equation, it may be easier to buy a used now current variation of the mini after an upgrade.

gertruded

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Northwestern Illinois
I just purchased the $999 refurb iMac for my mate. The machine arrived DOA. Apple had me download a Fed Express label off the FedX sight for the return. The replacement is coming next day air. It is currently at the final distribution point and is due for arrival at my home on Monday. The customer service is just great so far.

I already have a duo core mini that is a great machine. It does all that I ask of it. A core 2 duo should be even better.

I bought the iMac because the Mini just hasn't been updated yet and we need a monitor. It is just a better value at this point. I have been waiting for a Mini update but ran out of time and need a machine now.

Gertrude

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
I had a mini and just upgraded to a 20" iMac. My mini was a CD 1.66 with 2gb ram. Was plenty good for my usage needs, but I just wanted an iMac. I got it from the refurb store, arrived in pristine condition.

Basically Id say if money is an issue, and you already have a monitor to use, the mini would be a good choice.

The mini is definitely worth the price IMO. Especially the C2D ones from the refurb store. Of course there is also plenty of buzz about new minis coming, but who knows when.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I had a mini and just upgraded to a 20" iMac. My mini was a CD 1.66 with 2gb ram. Was plenty good for my usage needs, but I just wanted an iMac. I got it from the refurb store, arrived in pristine condition.

Basically Id say if money is an issue, and you already have a monitor to use, the mini would be a good choice.

The mini is definitely worth the price IMO. Especially the C2D ones from the refurb store. Of course there is also plenty of buzz about new minis coming, but who knows when.

Or, if money's an issue, and he's mostly satisified with his current machine's performance, he could just keep using his current setup.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Or, if money's an issue, and he's mostly satisified with his current machine's performance, he could just keep using his current setup.

True, but its always nice to get a new toy. I didnt need the iMac, my mini was fine. But I wanted it.

PNW

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
We have a 1.83 CD mini with 2 gigs of RAM as our "kitchen" box and it's fine. Aside from the new toy joy, the mini will take up less space, make less noise, and use less power than the old power mac. For what you're talking about doing I'd even consider looking around for an older CD mini, because I agree that the current mini at full retail is overpriced for what you get. The mini also gives you a few more options when it comes time to replace it. (headless server and /or home theater box come to mind)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
i already have the cinema display but i don't' think that the mini is worth what the price is but the imac is almost too expensive.

I'm on our church's 20" Aluminum iMac right now.

I don't know - it's going to be hard, when the time comes to get rid of this machine, to get rid of it - LCD screen and all...

We have a 1.83 CD mini with 2 gigs of RAM as our "kitchen" box and it's fine. Aside from the new toy joy, the mini will take up less space, make less noise, and use less power than the old power mac. For what you're talking about doing I'd even consider looking around for an older CD mini, because I agree that the current mini at full retail is overpriced for what you get. The mini also gives you a few more options when it comes time to replace it. (headless server and /or home theater box come to mind)

Wait for the next Mini update to match the current Santa Rosa MacBooks. My MacBook is awesome. Definitely worth waiting for X3100 Intel Graphics based Mini.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The main difference between a MacMini with your 20" ACD and a 20" AL iMac is that the iMac has a better video card. But if you don't plan to play video games (especially in Windows under BootCamp), then that is likely superfluous.

Also, the iMacs have a glossy LCD which many graphics (Photoshop) users have panned, whereas your ACD has a matte LCD.

n1ght

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
The 2.0 Mini and iMac have several differences.

- The Mini has the old Intel GMA950 integrated graphics. The iMac has a 128MB video card. The Mini will work decently, but for gaming and 1080p HD video playback, the iMac is a safer choice.
- The Mini does not have 802.11n wireless.
- The Mini has a smaller, slower hard drive.
- The Mini does not come with mouse, keyboard, speakers, webcam, or microphone.

bradbowl

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2005
Honolulu, Hawaii
The 2.0 Mini and iMac have several differences.

- The Mini has the old Intel GMA950 integrated graphics. The iMac has a 128MB video card. The Mini will work decently, but for gaming and 1080p HD video playback, the iMac is a safer choice.
- The Mini does not have 802.11n wireless.
- The Mini has a smaller, slower hard drive.
- The Mini does not come with mouse, keyboard, speakers, webcam, or microphone.

These are nice points. You probably already have the keyboard/mouse and you said you have a 20" ACD so the mini would fit right in. For basic needs the headless macbook...i mean mac mini seems like the way to go.

iBookG4 FTW

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2007
Texas
I agree with the above posters, get the mini. It obviously won't be worth as much as the iMac when you decide to sell itm because you paid less for it then the iMac in the first place. But overall, the mini's are a great computer at the refurb price.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
how about mini now, iMac later... ?

• can you wait? both models are due for updates, very soon
• could you make your decision then?
• also it's good to think ahead a little - possible uses for your new machine

the iMac is a the better machine (graphics, hard disk, RAM - everything that counts)
PLUS you get to use your old monitor as extra real estate!

once you get a C2D and HD video becomes viable (eyeTV, iTunes, podcasts, music) it's easy for your 'main' computer to get tied up with 'media'

I have to dump eyeTV recordings every couple of days, to save the hard disc filling up

the mini is a good media server - with HDTV and lots of video on iTunes, plus podcasts, music etc. it would be right at home managing all-that

SO, how does this scenario sound?
once you've got to that double-purpose state with the mini (in about a year?), you can make a decision about whether you want to turn it into a media server and maybe buy an iMac at that time... ??

NOW. I own an Al iMac 20" and I'm not happy with the monitor - it fades dramatically from the top to the bottom of the screen. The rest of the machine is OK, but the monitor was a big let-down. Check Apple's discussion forums under 20" iMac screens for all the problems people are having - BEFORE you buy.

iTransAm95

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
United States
at the moment i own a dualie powermac coupled with an apple cinema display aluminum 20" it's getting to be a slow computer

im thinking about buying the imac aluminum refub for 999.00

or

should i purchase an mac mini refurb?

would i see a big difference in the mac mini power and imac aluminum 2.00ghz?

in the long run would the imac or mac mini which one in 3 years (probably how long i'd have the computer) be worth more?

is the iMac really worth 1,000?

I just bought an Imac, paid $1489 no tax, why did I pick an Imac over the mini? simple, I didnt have a nice flat screen monitor, so to buy a mini I would have had to buy a nice 300 dollar monitor, so that would have almost cost what the cheapest imac costs...if I have had a nice expensive monitor I would have gone with a mac mini...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.