Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

$aRaH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Soooo...i bought a Maxtor One Touch III on newegg.com and it says that it is for windows..i was wondering if there was a way i can format it for my macbook pro and if so how do i go about doing it?

Thank You
Sarah

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
That's a hard drive, right? Not a flash drive? You should be able to format it no problem... in fact it should have given you a choice when you plugged it in. I'm assuming you have tried and that's what it said, not that you looked on the box. If you haven't tried it, do so.

If it's formatted for Windows and you can't get it to format, you can always install software to let your write to NTFS drives (by default, you can only read them).

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
You should be able to format it without a problem, but I believe the OneTouch feature doesn't work on Leopard.

$aRaH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
ok...i tried reformatting it through disk utility...however I cant find anything that says HSF+...could you possibly give me direction with what to do once i've located it with disk utility...

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
to make the disk HFS+, do the following:

1) open Disk Utility
2) select your drive in the left column
3) click on the Erase tab in the middle of the window
4) for volume format, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
5) select Erase

voila!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.