Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Anyone else wondering when iTunes is going to make some big changes given the recent announcement that Amazon is "in second place" with it's new MP3 store?

While I find AAC fine and dandy (when I buy them DRM-free), it seems silly that Apple is still selling DRM tracks when Amazon is not.

I believe the record companies are trying to give Apple a hard time (cheaper tracks, more tracks, DRM-free MP3s) so maybe it's time Apple took the lead and said "you guys are doing it already, why shouldn't we?"

DRM is dead (well, almost). None of us want it. Never did. Record stores are going the same way given the ones I've walked into (and rapidly out of) recently.

If Apple doesn't do something soon, Amazon will go to #1 and then where's the power? Apple should leverage it's #1 position while it can.

While doing so, it would be nice if they got their calculators out and had a look at international pricing. The exchange rate and taxes are not showing very good value currently. $1.69 for a song in Australia is shocking.

I can understand importing physical goods carries a cost. Downloading bits costs close to the same everywhere. Once again, if Amazon is DRM-free and cheaper, that #1 music retailer title will be under threat.

I love the convenience of iTunes. I'd just like to love it a bit more :)

And while I'm on a roll, how about a batch way of converting video tracks to "TV Show"? I know, it would be a little bit hard based on naming rules, but if they could settle on a naming scheme the batch routine would understand, I'd be happy to play along...

Cheers
Wayne

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
They've already stated that they don't want DRM on the music that they sell on iTunes. But many record companies won't sign with Apple without it. iTunes Plus tracks don't have it at the same price point, and that's because those companies are alright with the exclusion of DRM protection.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
THIS will happen with time however it involves lengthy discussions with studios - it will take time and will probably announced with a new bunch of iPods.

Another point - im still upset that iTunes UK only have TV Shows, no Movies but thats beside the point. Thats Lord Steve and his Useless, Unvalued, British customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.