Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
Hey All,

Does anyone know if I can install Mac OS X 10.4.7 server on a new computer that ships with 10.5.2? I searched google and these forums but could not find a definitive answer. I have been asked to help a former high school teacher install 10.4 server on a Mac Pro and set up roaming accounts for the students to use on the classroom iMacs. I am fairly confident I can do this but I want to be able to test it at home before I commit to the job. If I can run it through personally a few times, I'll be able to set it up for the teacher.

I will be buying a new Mac mini when/if they are ever released. My goal is to install it on the Mac mini and create a remote login and log in using my MacBook. I know how to do all of that in theory (I have read up on how to do it) but I have never done it before. I just need to know that if I do an erase and install on a computer running 10.5 that the drivers will be included on the 10.4.7 server discs.

Here is what I have:
Mac OS X 10.4.7 Server (Universal)
2.0GHz C2D MacBook (with 950GMA)
Will have Mac mini with unknown specs

The classroom has:
1 Mac Pro with 10.4.7 server installed
20 or so White Intel iMacs all running 10.4.11

The specifications for the Mac mini are rumored to have the Intel x3100 GMA, this is the only thing I can for see causing a conflict. If anyone has installed 10.4 server on a MacBook with the x3100 successfully, then this answers my question. I know it will work for the classroom computers, I'm just not sure if I'll be able to test at home. If anyone has an answer for this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot,

kwood.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
No!

If I remember right, you can't install any earlier OS than the one it shipped with.

What's wrong with using Leopard server?

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
If I remember right, you can't install any earlier OS than the one it shipped with.

What's wrong with using Leopard server?

The school doesn't have Leopard server, they bought Tiger Server in September of 06'. Some local computer consultant sold it to them saying someone would come and set it all up for them. the person they sent out didn't know anything about Macs (or computers in general from what the teacher told me) and couldn't figure it out.

I'll just have to take one of their iMacs and use that to test with. Thanks for the response.

EDIT: Better Yet, I'll install server on my MacBook and just use the Mac mini with the roaming account.

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
I wasn't able to install Tiger Server on a new Leopard machine.

I ended up buying a refurb from Apple. They are still able to run Tiger (and come with a Leopard upgrade DVD)

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I wasn't able to install Tiger Server on a new Leopard machine.

I ended up buying a refurb from Apple. They are still able to run Tiger (and come with a Leopard upgrade DVD)

Ok that answers my question definitively. I'll need to find a computer running 10.4 out of box, or just erase my MacBook (as it is currently running 10.5 but shipped with 10.4).

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
If you erase the hard drive of the Mac Mini or any other computer you are installing on, you should be able to install Tiger server on that particular computer.

jon

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
If you erase the hard drive of the Mac Mini or any other computer you are installing on, you should be able to install Tiger server on that particular computer.

jon

I dont think Tiger has drivers for the X1300, so it wouldnt work. However, you could try taking the driver out of Leopard and shove it in a 10.4 install. It might work, but probably wouldnt be stable. I'd buy a refurb.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I dont think Tiger has drivers for the X1300, so it wouldnt work. However, you could try taking the driver out of Leopard and shove it in a 10.4 install. It might work, but probably wouldnt be stable. I'd buy a refurb.

True, but that is if he is waiting to get the new Mac Mini. Since this will probably be a problem he might want to consider getting the current Mac Mini or get one discounted when new models come out.

jon

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Thanks for the replies everyone but I have actually come up with a compromise. The teacher is going to give me the 2.66GHz Mac Pro and a 20" cinema display to play with. So I will not need to install it on my Mac mini once I get it. I just wanted to install server on the Mac mini to test the set-up at home before I actually do it for the teacher.

Ultimately the Mac mini will act as my home entertainment unit hooked up to my TV. I want the newest one when it comes out so compromising by getting an older model is not something I am willing to do. I guess I'll just have to suffer with a Mac Pro...shucks...:D

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
You can try to get it installed on another (Intel-based) Mac, upgrade it to Mac OS X Server 10.4.11, and then cloning that drive to your target Mac.
The GMA 3100 is not supported by Tiger (and thus Tiger Server), so any 3D accelerated features and sleep will not work..... but that really is not an issue with a server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.