Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruckus

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2005
about time...maybe a case that doesn't dent like tinfoil... :) :apple:

LOL i've never dented one. though now that i say that...i probably will.

I just don't want the keyboard to change. The MBP keyboard is great in my opinion, and shouldn't change. But I know it will...sigh.

concordeBOAC

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2007
Fantasy land...
>the MacBook Pro continues to share a very similar design to the original PowerBook G4 which was introduced in 2001.

Or does no one remember the TiBook? I still miss it. It had a certain elegance about it that the AlBook failed to capture. :)

-Z

I still use the ol' TiBook today - and I still prefer its looks when next to the latest laptops.... looks like its carved from one piece of titanium !

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Piccy...?

*sniff* *sniff* what is that I smell?

Ah, yes, The Magnificent smell of...... Mock-up time! Photoshop wizards, get out your paint buckets and work your magic :D I wanna see some sexay!

Alright..... well, here's my shot.... ;)

attachment.php

You'll see that its pretty much the same shape, but look closer. I've darken the casing to make it look like Aluminum... I've redone the Keyboard to match the MBA, and the track pad has been enlarged....

Gimme your thoughts...:confused:

EDIT:
I also created a seperate thread for commenting only for this photo here....

Attachments

• macbook rumour.jpg
    macbook rumour.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 7,777

pubius

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2003
User accessible HD for MBP please!!!
I replaced (upgraded) mine at home in my Al MBP with no prior knowledge (and the superdrive). Just look up tear-aparts on the good ole internet. Totally accessible.

RKnight

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2007
Not to sound like I know anything. Because I don't. But I saw this coming the day the MacBook Air was announced. I told my wife, say what you will about the Air, it looks awesome, and that, will be the design future of the MacBook Pro and the MacBook for sure.

I totally saw it coming :D

beast

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
UK
hmmmm.....

i'm hoping that they finally include a magnetic latch to the MBPs...
if they switch all the whole portable line to aluminium cases, i reckon standard macbooks will come in standard silver and the pro laptops will come in a sexy anodised black metal case :D

jmooring

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2006
Apple designs usually stand test of time

I generally have a high regard for Apple's minimalist designs as they can still look fresh even years after you purchased them (dents, dirt, etc. notwithstanding). I expect that's what we'll get this go around with perhaps an innovative surprise or two thrown and some sturdier materials. In my opinion, competitive products look dated the moment they show up on store shelves.

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
I'll be curious to see what the next design is...It's interesting for me, because I love the design of both computers so much, the idea that you could make a more perfect looking computer seems impossible, but I'm sure I'll be amazed when I see it!

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
I don't like the "black keyboard on metallic body" of Macbook Air. It hurts the aesthetics of this otherwise nicely designed machine. I'd rather they use a keyboard that matches the the color of the body. Maybe we should purchase one of the "good looking" white Macbooks before it is too late.

Oh, yes, I agree, drop the combo drive!... :)

I totally agree with you regarding buying the white macbooks now!

I just upgraded my 2.0ghz whitebook to a 2.4ghz newer model but its faulty with some loud electric fan noise. I am planning on returning it and getting another but since I read this story it stopped me in my tracks!
been sat here pondering for the past hour thinking do I get a refund and use my old 2.0ghz macbook till these new ones come out or do I let them send me another 2.4ghz as I got it for a bargain price of £720!

Thing is, I absolutely love the current white macbooks, fast as hell, can up them to 4gb ram and you have a very long battery life to boot!
I cant really bring myself around to trying to like the new possible aluminium macbooks. Dont get me wrong as soon as the rumour story changes into fact in a few months time my feelings may change :D but I think until then, I will let my new replacement 2.4ghz macbook arrive on my doorstep :p

lewisg1212

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
Norwich, UK
I have to agree. Not every redesign is a winner. I like the MBP better than I like the MBA. The latest Nano, for example, IMO is not as nice as the previous version. I really don't want my notebook to be less "substantial" feeling than the one I have now.

i agree, best ever ipod was the black 8gb nano (2nd gen) just felt more comfy in your hand, just a better screen res and it would be awesome.

i just wish they would make the macbook pro a bit thinner, bit lighter, get rid of the plastic edges, move the mic, move the ambient light sensor and the new black keyboard (with black aluminium keys would be awesome like the black classic)

mind you, if they made the macbooks aluminium (seems very likely) i think they will use alot of business for people buying pros, as it is the only difference is the graphics card, i touch more power and a few more features. for a few hundred its not really worth it.

have to be verrrryyy careful, wish they would make a 12" alu macbook, seems impossible due to the air though.

sleepingworker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2003
Manhattan, NY
I still use the ol' TiBook today - and I still prefer its looks when next to the latest laptops.... looks like its carved from one piece of titanium !

The Ti PB looks very similar to what I have, the Alum PB and even the MBP. The exterior form changes have been subtle to say the least! Ti PB was fine but the finish wore off pretty quickly from what I remember.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
It's too bad as I really like the current casing on the MacBooks. Whenever I have owned a MBP or PB I get shocks when I type. The metal casings are really not my thing.

Nov 6, 2007
:confused:

Sigh - here we go again.... Ok, it is not like I am not excited, because I am. But this is my problem. Ever since the ibook G4 was in its final days just before the Macbooks came out. I have wanted a MAC. Everytime it looks like I have money to buy one, a newer one comes out that is faster, better, and a little lower in price for what it offers.

Then I wait and low and behold something comes up that I have no choice but to spend the money I was saving for a MAC.

Then out comes the new version and I have no money for a MAC. I was going to buy my macbook this month since my Dell's opticle drive quit and I had to buy an external one (along with an external Hard Drive because my wife took over my HP desktop, the laptop drive is too small for all I need, and I can no longer read DVD's due to the drive quitting - yeah me who thinks it is foolish to have to connect external drives to a laptop as a laptop is supposed to be portable). My Dell is only 2 years old and out of warrently.

So now what?? Get my MACbook and cry when the new one comes out (but then again I know plenty of people still running ibooks as they have not died yet - so many I won't dry too hard), or do I wait and risk not have the money again.

What to do? What to do?

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
That would be sweet...
Maybe, if they come out in June, I'll finally get rid of my beloved PowerBook G4!
Not that style matter that much for me but it's about time for a change...
Heck, I could even go for a MacBook in Al! :)

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Expectations

99% Positive:

Chiclet keyboard for MBP
New processors (i.e. speed bump, etc.) for MBP
Same pricing structure as current one for MB/MBP models respectively

90% Positive:

Magnetic latch for MBP
User replaceable HDD for MBP
SSD option for MBP
Larger trackpad for MBP
New processors (i.e. speed bump, etc.) for MB
LED Backlight for MB and 17" MBP

80% Positive:

Blu-ray (standard or BTO) for MBP
High-res 15.4" for MBP
Larger HDDs on some models of MBP

50% Positive:

Black option for MBP; Nano/Shuffle colors for MB
Multi-touch and/or larger trackpad for MB

Purely a Wishlist:

Separate Media Key Row instead of Using FN Keys
Fingerprint Reader
Wi-Max/3G/4G Connectivity
Wireless USB
ExpressCard/54 instead of /34
2.0 MP+ iSight
Memory Card Reader
Improved Sound
Nub Pointer
eSATA
DisplayPort
GPS
LightScribe or similar

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
So does this mean that the white and black plastic on the MacBooks will take the same route as the iPods? - Going to the silver and flat black metals? I would sure welcome a flat black MacBook with open arms, as Journey said.:)

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
It's too bad as I really like the current casing on the MacBooks. Whenever I have owned a MBP or PB I get shocks when I type. The metal casings are really not my thing.

White was the Mac footprint for quite a while and will surely be missed...
But even in white plastic, my GF's iBook is turning yellowish.

ncavs10

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
CT
Me too! I like it so much better. Plus the backlighting on the MBP keyboard is much better than the MBA.

agree 100%. i hate the keyboard on the macbook and i miss my powerbook because of the keyboard and backlighting was much better than on the MBA

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
i called this or thought about the idea along time ago, 13" macbooks that look like macbook pro's but in all aluminum.. and with colors once again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.