Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac-user-newbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Hi everyone... I desperately need help here!!!

My macbook is only less than a year old, I can't remember the specs of it but I am sure it is pretty much the latest and most powerful Macbook Pro we can find in the market right now...

Unfortunately, I have no idea why is it so lag while i'm using programs. Especially working on Microsoft powerpoint and microsoft word programmes. I am using the Mac OS, so it can't be a windows programme.

I am currently compiling a project due next week and I'm transferring and sizing pictures previously compiled on a word document (it wasn't lag that time). But right now, it lags so bad that evertime i size my image or copy the image into a word document, it lags very badly and the spinning rainbows occur everytime. I even have to resize the image twice just to get the desired size.

the lag happens whenever I insert something new into the document, but not when I'm typing.

I have no idea what is happenning, my HD space is 30G of free space, 70G in use. I also checked for background programmes but there is no problem about my memory usage.

So why is it lag? if its not HD space and memory space, my OS is up-to-date but why lag! i need to work fast!!!! =( help!!

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Go to the Applications folder, locate and open the Utilities folder, then open the Disc Utility app. Next, click the icon for the hard drive for the computer and click verify disc permissions. If there is something wrong, click repair permissions. See if that helps.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Go to About this Mac and see how much RAM you have. If you don't have much, applications in Office will probably be really slow.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I believe the MBP that had a 100gig stock hard drive only had 512mb of RAM.

If you're compiling something in the background and using memory hogging apps, well...:rolleyes:

mac-user-newbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
I have a 100G HD with 1G 644hz of ram...

I wouldn't think i have a lack of ram problem... currently it hogs office apps... had problems with powerpoint when I was transfering photos on to it through word, it couldn't verify the photo file and said something about too much applications are open and there is not enough memory...

thanks klymr, i will try to see if that works... but i'm still lagging as of now =( please help me someone!

mac-user-newbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
I have just done the verify disc permission and clicked repair permission anyway... but it doesn't seem to be solving the problem... it still lags =(

I have checked my activity monitor and found out that word process is eating up 75.55MB of my Real memory... is that alot? because it certainly seems alot more than other applications are using... That is how much memory it is eating when I only am using one file of my microsoft word...

My word file size is 35.1mb only! =(

WorldIRC

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2005
Go into Utilities / Activity Monitor. I noticed that the Microsoft AU Demon for Office 2004 (POWER PC - Rosetta) was still on my system and runing. If you kill that process your computer should fly...at least for me that solved it!

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I have just done the verify disc permission and clicked repair permission anyway... but it doesn't seem to be solving the problem... it still lags =(

I have checked my activity monitor and found out that word process is eating up 75.55MB of my Real memory... is that alot? because it certainly seems alot more than other applications are using... That is how much memory it is eating when I only am using one file of my microsoft word...

My word file size is 35.1mb only! =(

If you're using Office 2004 or earlier its ok for it to lag, because it runs under emulation on Intel Macs.

Nick T.

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
SoCal
mac-user-newbie - - When you are finished using a program do you click the red button to close the program or do you press command+Q to quit the program?

My #1 son, who is at university, tells me that he encounters many Mac users who use the red button method, not realizing that the program remains memory resident.

Quiting instead of closing may solve you slowdown problem.

good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.