Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlackThunder

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
I find it distracting that it's crammed to the left... anyway to center it so the gray area is on both sides?

picture1600x584shklhb1.png

atluten

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2008
You can eliminate the gray area entirely by hitting the green resize button or do you actually want the white space to be framed on the sides. Cheers.

BlackThunder

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
Yeah I kinda wanted it to be framed on two sides.. my desktop and background windows are distracting and I would rather not make the page fullscreen for obvious reasons.. that's what the backdrop is for. In photoshop and word it allows you to have the gray as the backdrop.. I was just hoping you could in Pages too. Guess I'll stick with Word.

Benway

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
is there a fix for this yet?

I'm aware the original question is from 2008, but I'm wondering if there is a fix for this same problem in 2012 ?
I would like the page centre and framed on both sides like ms word.

Thanks

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
I'm aware the original question is from 2008, but I'm wondering if there is a fix for this same problem in 2012 ?
I would like the page centre and framed on both sides like ms word.

Thanks

Still no way to do it. Still amazes me iWork hasn't had a proper update for this long!!

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
So dumb. I hate having to have the stupid skinny little window. With as anal as Apple is about symmetry it boggles my mind that the Pages document is still left-aligned.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I'm not sure what is wrong with Full Screen in this case? You can either click the resize button so that the document window shrinks to hold just the document (no grey on the right side at all), or go to full screen. In the 1st case, it is easy to work with multiple documents (especially if you are working with multiple applications and need to see their windows. In the 2nd case it's great for working without distractions.

Sometimes I pull the right side backdrop out far enough to hold several instances of the Inspector. I find if I have 3 or 4 Inspectors open, placing them on a neutral background - the right side backdrop - really helps to keep them organized.

I don't see this as a bug at all, it's a feature that not everyone needs.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I find it distracting that it's crammed to the left... anyway to center it so the gray area is on both sides?

If you have to have the gray area on both sides, then no since the default zoom in Pages is set to 125%. However, you can set the default zoom to 100% through preferences and then it will be at 100% with no border. That's what I do with mine and it works great.

Benway

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
"full screen" is no fix at all. It's annoying to get in-to and out-of, and each time you get into it, there is no toolbar visible or inspector etc.
Then, if you load up inspector, and then get out of full screen, when you get back into full-screen, inspector and whatever else you had open are all closed again.

Can't easily switch between pages and other apps in full screen either.

Just annoying annoying annoying. :(

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
"full screen" is no fix at all. It's annoying to get in-to and out-of, and each time you get into it, there is no toolbar visible or inspector etc.
Then, if you load up inspector, and then get out of full screen, when you get back into full-screen, inspector and whatever else you had open are all closed again.

Can't easily switch between pages and other apps in full screen either.

Just annoying annoying annoying. :(

I say this with tongue firmly planted in cheek.... but you're using "full screen" wrong. :D

It is meant to be used to write, and nothing else. It is designed to let you type without distractions. Formatting text (eg the Inspector) and referring to other windows is considered a distraction, iho, and therefore is not well supported in full screen mode.

If I need to do some power Pages with minimal distractions, but not quite full screen, I put it on its own desktop. Then I can have multiple open Inspectors without the distraction of other open windows. I have all the open windows I may need to refer to on another desktop. I have a hot corner set up so I can pop back and forth between desktops with the flick of the mouse. But that is just my personal way - ymmv of course.

But "full screen" is designed for typing, not formatting.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.