Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cups123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Okay, I'd really appreciate some help with this problem that I have - I can't view any videos or pics on some websites with my mac. If I go to youtube for example, I can't view any videos. I am completely computer illiterate and the only thing I can tell you is that this problem has gone on for some time...I installed quicktime player, and I think that worked for some time, then I tampered with the settings and now it doesnt work!!! Can someone help me? I really don't remember what I did but currently I have quicktime and whatever came with the laptop...please help!!:eek:

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

not sure if it will help you with the youtube thing, but install perian. It will make video/audio playback incredibly easy and more versatile.

okatidubi

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
you'll need to open safari with Rosetta. To enable it, go to your Macintosh HD > Applications > *right click on Safari > get info > tick "open using rosetta"

Once done, close all windows and quit safari; and start it up again. Once you've done that, you need to install shockwave flash. Once done, close all safari windows and quit safari; and start it up again. By now you should be able to view youtube videos.

*To right click, hold control + click

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
you'll need to open safari with Rosetta. To enable it, go to your Macintosh HD > Applications > *right click on Safari > get info > tick "open safari with rosetta"

Whoa, whoa, whoa... what? You certainly do not need Rosetta to watch Flash (YouTube) videos!

cups123, as mentioned by karenflower you should ensure that your Flash is up to date. I also suggest going to Safari > Preferences > Security and ensure that plug-ins are enabled.

Reactions: Sirolway

lilrdh

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
How do I view WMV video files on my macbook?

I recently got a macbook and I cannot view WMV files on my computer (ie. videos sent via e-mail) Please let me know if you can help (settings?)

jiggskc

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2008
Cedar Falls, Iowa
UNINSTALL & re-download FLASH for a fix

Youtube uses Flash Player to play videos, you might need to install the latest version from here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

Okay, i was having the same problem - my macbook was not allowing me to watch youtube videos in safari. It was somewhat frustrating for me :mad:, because i could watch them on my iPhone4, but could not view them on the macbook :confused:, which i plug into the HDTV to view movies and stuff in HD. I tried the Rosetta fix - and it doesn't work. I do have FLIP4Mac, and updated it, still did not work. I also use PERIAN, so there might be multiple combinations at work here. But it wasn't until i uninstalled FLASH PLAYER, FLASH DEBUGGER for Mac, and UNINSTALLER for FLASH and reinstalled FLASH while downloading the fresh copy in SAFARI that i was able to see the videos again. I also use
CLICK TO FLASH, just so you know.

I am happy to report that i can now watch videos on youtube while in SAFARI, and no longer have to switch to CHROME to watch youtube videos. Don't ask one of your ANDROID friends because they will just tell you that :apple: hates FLASH.:eek:

zip90210

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2011
watch Youtube videos on Mac

I downloaded the Camino browser from caminobrowser.org and I can now see videos on my mac streaming from any site. You would think Safari would have resolved this issue three years later.

PurpleFlame

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2015
I am pretty good with computers usually but when I try to watch youtube videos on Google Chrome I can't watch them and even if they play for a few seconds I cannot hear any sounds from them. HELP!!!

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I am pretty good with computers usually but when I try to watch youtube videos on Google Chrome I can't watch them and even if they play for a few seconds I cannot hear any sounds from them. HELP!!!

Try Safari?

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Rick Grimes would deal with this thread by shooting it between the eyes.

I would deal with it by agreeing with the "try Safari" suggestion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.