Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gutterflowerjc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
So, I just got done installing Leopard via firewire from my imac last night, and I have noticed that there are some weird things:
-When I add a new widget, the screen does not do the water ripples like they do on my imac, and also, the screen appears "fuzzy" overall... I remember quite clearly that my display was quite a bit sharper in tiger, is this a bug? or could it be because I only have 32mb or vram?, whereas the two day old imac has a heck of a lot more?

thanks, jordan

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
The no ripple is because your iBook graphics card doesn't support it.

The fuzzyness shouldn't happen and is almost always caused by your screen being set to the wrong resolution. Go into System Preferences and select displays. Hit detect display and then select the highest resolution available from the list. That should fix the fuzzyness.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
whereas the two day old imac has a heck of a lot more?

Not to go too OT, but you can install the PPC version of Leopard onto the iBook from an Intel Mac in target FW mode?

(as the post above said, the ripple issue is to be expected, but the iBook should operate at native res on Leopard and should not look fuzzy)

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Not to go too OT, but you can install the PPC version of Leopard onto the iBook from an Intel Mac in target FW mode?

Leopard evidently at least copies both Intel and PPC (G3/G4/G5) binaries during installation. I was running Monolingual last night and it showed all the binaries were installed on both my MacBook and iMac. I cleared the PPC binaries and recovered close to 2GB of HDD space.

So if the OP did copy an Intel install over to a PPC system, perhaps Leopard loads the PPC binaries?

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
i would say that but i run leopard on my emac which only has 32 mb of vram or w.e and the picture is fine, but intelss install with intels and ppc with ppc i dont think u can miss match like the guy up there said

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Leopard evidently at least copies both Intel and PPC (G3/G4/G5) binaries during installation. I was running Monolingual last night and it showed all the binaries were installed on both my MacBook and iMac. I cleared the PPC binaries and recovered close to 2GB of HDD space.

So if the OP did copy an Intel install over to a PPC system, perhaps Leopard loads the PPC binaries?

How does one delete the PPC binaries?

gutterflowerjc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
to install on g4 through intel..

What i did to get it on there was this:

-boot ibook into TD mode, and told the imac to install there, I had to repartition my HD though, to the guid system that the intel macs use, after install, i got a ? folder, and used an application that converted the hard drive from guid, to the old apple format that the PPC uses, rebooted, and voilà!! it all works...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.