Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I know this has been already been talked about in a previous older thread but compared to the 17" mbp hdd placement the 15" is a bit different where the hole on the bottom right (breathing hdd hole) is actually covered up...

I was shocked that the stock hdd the hitachi 5k250 the breathing whole was covered up completely (with the sticker that clearly said do not cover) and I installed my hitachi travelstar 7k200 and this is my 7k200 with the breathing hole unblocked.

2435151542_4ac8644928_b.jpg

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I should have taken the picture before I installed my 7k200 on it.. but the 15" mbp that I had with the stock hdd the hole was completely covered up with that orange part taped right over it. Maybe because of the hole being covered some users are complaining about the heat issue??

On my previous SR mbp I remember the left side palm rest got extremely hot because I didnt know about the hole and covered it up just like how the stock one was (installed over the hole because I installed the orange piece back on top of the hole to mimic how the stock hdd was installed). Now that I know about the hole it runs very very cool on the palm rests.

Its a bit different on the 17" mbp because I notice that the positioning of the hdd is different where the hole is not on the bottom right anymore. But I clearly remember that the hole cannot be covered up on the 17" mbps.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006

So its just dust going inside the hole? Even though the article doesnt mention about heat issues correlating with the holes being blocked, maybe it still has some connection as the platters move generating heat and the hdd needs to blow out (breathe) some of the heat trapped inside.

All I can say is first hand experience that previously I blocked the hole while installing the hdd on my mbp and my left palm rest got really hot and now after leaving it unblocked it is very cool to touch (the hdd doesnt get hot as it did before while doing the same intensive work on each hdd).

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
That is the only hole in the hard drive, and the only way for air to get in/out. So it is impossible for it to pull in air and blow out air at the same time. Its just there to equalize pressure and as the article says to provide some sort of air cushion

Heat is due to the hard drive working. The more it works the hotter it gets. Inside, the air expands due to heat, which the hole provides relief. But it is far from an "exhaust" port, as the drive doesnt actively push the air out. Besides that hole the drive is hermetically sealed.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
That is the only hole in the hard drive, and the only way for air to get in/out. So it is impossible for it to pull in air and blow out air at the same time. Its just there to equalize pressure and as the article says to provide some sort of air cushion

Heat is due to the hard drive working. The more it works the hotter it gets. Inside, the air expands due to heat, which the hole provides relief. But it is far from an "exhaust" port, as the drive doesnt actively push the air out. Besides that hole the drive is hermetically sealed.

I would think since the platters are spinning at 7200rpm on my hitachi travelstar that it would generate heat/air inside the hdd before exhausting the heat/air outside of that one and only hole.

Even if it doesnt matter in the heat/air department its not a good idea to cover up that hole as it directly saids "do not cover up this hole" and clearly the orange circuit thick part where its sticky on the bottom was taped right over the hole where I had to pry it out with alot of force to take off... I would suggest mbp owners with stock hdd to reseat the orange circuit stickers to uncover the hole (only applies to the 15" mbp as the 17" the hole is not covered up).

inferre

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
hi jjahshik32,
did you note any difference, between original 5400 and your hitachi 7200?
I'd like to replace my fujitsu 5400 with an Hitachi 7k200 200gb.
I work with photos (57-120 MB each file).
Thanks

lauph

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
30 mins from Cupertino
omg... how then can you get it?

the hole is NOT for "breathing" as you defined it. it is for the expanded air in the warmed drive to escape to release the PRESSURE, and to let air in when it cools down, when air contracts.

its purpose has absolutely ZERO, 0, relation to heat removal. It is pressure removal. At the most is 0.25cm^3 of air movement, which is SO INSIGNIFICANT to removing heat.

And if you have given it more attention when you pried your cable on the older drive, you might have noticed the glue is 0.25cm away from the hole. the hole is depressed, and a cable running OVER it does not BLOCK it. to block it it requires a AIR TIGHT seal by glue or by rubber. a ribbon cable running loosely over a hole does not block it, even if the hole is not depressed.

mbpcron

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2007
Richmond, VA
Move the sticky cable slightly to avoid the breathe hole

Why risk a new hard drive's well being? I think the sticky cable covering the hole may have contributed to my 2 year old drive failing. I was lucky and cloned the drive to an external USB drive.
It's very easy to gently adjust the cable slightly to avoid the pressure release hole - which is what it actually does.
The cable is sticky enough to act like tape - so it may seal the hole.

mbpcron

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2007
Richmond, VA
If it has a purpose, even small, why tempt fate?

I still say if you are going to replace the internal HD on a MBP, it is such a small matter to make sure the sticky cable ribbon/connector doesn't cover the pressure hole, why not do it while you're there?:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.