Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Belle-vue

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Hey guys

I was trying to watch a dvd through my macbook! But i dont know why i cant insert the CD anymore it couldnt go inside? anyone got an idea? :confused:

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
Which MB do you have? Was there already a DVD or CD in the drive? Have you tried opening iTunes and ejecting? What happens when you try to insert the CD?

Belle-vue

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
there is no CD inside the driver.. what do you mean by MB ? I can insert the CD it couldnt go inside only half of it as if there is something inside but in fact there is nothing :/

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
MB= macbook, sorry. It's certainly behaving as if there is already a disk in the drive, and I'm sure you're pretty frustrated! Just to be cautious, try a restart, and hold down the mouse button to eject during startup. I ask you to do this because sometimes a disk can be in the drive and the OS doesn't recognize it.

Barring that, you may have a broken internal mechanism, and would need to call Apple/take it to an authorized repair tech. Good luck to you.

brittle

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
hey there!
just solved the same problem on my macbook.
cd could not be inserted (without any signs of malfunction like sounds or ..)
seemed to be jammed somewhere on the side of the power switch.
i tried everything i could find on the web and all i knew.when i decided it had no software fix i decided to go medieval...

ok so here is how i got it fixed:
i made the computer sleep by folding the screen.
flipped 90 degrees the whole laptop cd drive facing up
and then i put a cd (as far as it would go..4cm?)in the drive.
i used very very little pressure on the cd pushing it inwards (not to force it in!!)and then opened the screen lid (holding the laptop still 90 angle)
after the usual wake sound(of the cd drive) the cd was inserted normally.

hope i help! good luck!!

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I had a similar problem. I tried to put a DVD into my computer, but it wouldn't work. I then noticed the cd/dvd slot had a "u" shape to it.

I went into the apple store, they explained it was because someone either grabbed it near the DVD drive vs the palm rests and bent a support bar, or it had some pressure on that area that did the same thing. Since my laptop gets banged up with all the airline flights I am constantly carrying it on, I assume that is how it got damaged. They quoted $200-$300 to repair, I think

They mentioned that they see this damage sometimes when the laptop is used by kids, as they tend to grab that part to carry it one handed vs the more adult way of closing it, carrying it via the palm rests with two hands (because we know how expensive a laptop is!)

I agreed to it, and when I got it back later that day, they decided to not charge me a cent, and did a free repair. I have no idea why they did that, other than I had purchased applecare when I bought the computer.

flakes8

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
New England
I had a similar problem. I tried to put a DVD into my computer, but it wouldn't work. I then noticed the cd/dvd slot had a "u" shape to it.

I went into the apple store, they explained it was because someone either grabbed it near the DVD drive vs the palm rests and bent a support bar, or it had some pressure on that area that did the same thing. Since my laptop gets banged up with all the airline flights I am constantly carrying it on, I assume that is how it got damaged. They quoted $200-$300 to repair, I think

They mentioned that they see this damage sometimes when the laptop is used by kids, as they tend to grab that part to carry it one handed vs the more adult way of closing it, carrying it via the palm rests with two hands (because we know how expensive a laptop is!)

I agreed to it, and when I got it back later that day, they decided to not charge me a cent, and did a free repair. I have no idea why they did that, other than I had purchased applecare when I bought the computer.

Another reason why I am saving up for a MBP. From what I have been reading Apple support is second to none. I can't wait for Christmas !!!!!

Philip Howard

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2008
hey there!

i used very very little pressure on the cd pushing it inwards (not to force it in!!)and then opened the screen lid (holding the laptop still 90 angle)

I had exactly the same thing, I did what brittle said and it works fine now!

Thank you!

marlon69

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Trick works!

hey there!
i tried everything i could find on the web and all i knew.when i decided it had no software fix i decided to go medieval...

hope i help! good luck!!

Did all mentioned above and ejected my external HD then it worked again! Love forums!:)

hedgeland

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
Worked for me too!

hey there!

hope i help! good luck!!

Holy crap! I thought I knew how to fix anything on a Mac. This worked perfectly! Thanks so much.

katmichelle

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2011
hey there!

hope i help! good luck!!

thanks so much! this solution worked for me!

szemens

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2016
Hey guys

I was trying to watch a dvd through my macbook! But i dont know why i cant insert the CD anymore it couldnt go inside? anyone got an idea? :confused:

I fixed this issue a different way (I encountered the same problem while burning CDs from iTunes)

In iTunes, I went to File > Burn Playlist to disc, iTunes proceeded to tell me no disc was in the drive (as I anticipated it would) and then inserted a blank CD. Voila! It accepted the CD!

beachkat

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2019
MB= macbook, sorry. It's certainly behaving as if there is already a disk in the drive, and I'm sure you're pretty frustrated! Just to be cautious, try a restart, and hold down the mouse button to eject during startup. I ask you to do this because sometimes a disk can be in the drive and the OS doesn't recognize it.

Barring that, you may have a broken internal mechanism, and would need to call Apple/take it to an authorized repair tech. Good luck to you.
[doublepost=1546712991][/doublepost]This works!!! Thank you and thank heaven!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.