Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Team7

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
If, by some strange and highly unlikely twist of common sense, the iPhone comes to FIDO, or Rogers unveils a Fido-Like plan (in which one can get a $25 basic phone plan and $10/month UNLIMITED INTERNET), then this will become exciting news. As it stands, it is woefully obvious that Rogers couldn't give less of a **** about its customers, while Fido is constantly reworking its plans to offer lower costs and higher connectivity. The irony here is that both providers are owned by Rogers. I get that different brands offer different things to different people. I don't get why Rogers feels the need to stick it up its customer base's collective ass when it comes to cost vs. service.

What I'll likely do is stay with Rogers until the iPhone is released, pay the balance of my contract, and take my iPhone on over to Fido.

Rogers=Fido=Rogers :(

Rogers bought Fido a few years ago. So the plans are pretty much the same and the network is identical.

There is very little competition in Canada this means crappier service and high rates. If rogers does not change its data plan anyone using edge on the iphone will end up like that dude in Alberta who had a 80 000$ bill.

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
If I wanted an iPhone to look cool, I would have got one when it came out in the States. Hundreds of thousands of Canadians already have one. It's no longer to cool new thing to have. I agree Rogers sucks, but b*tching about it on a Mac forum wont fix it.

Ya think?

When my time-out is finished, I'll remind you that a forum is a place in which one is free to express opinion. In my case I feel lik eI'm pointing out the obvious. IN your case, I feel like your response is "....but.....but iPhone!!"

b*tching about it on a Mac forum wont fix it.

I'm putting that on T-shirt...it's brill.

adamberti

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2003
So my phone bill was $120 last month..... tack on Rogers Data Plan, and I'll be paying close to $200?

Anyone care to wager what the unlimited data option will cost? I'm guessing not less than $40 a month.

belancraig

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
Still major hurdles to overcome

The news today is something to be excited about....well, it's more like finally. But there are still alot of issues that will have to be taken care of. And knowing Rogers, they will probably mess it up like they always do. But due to the fact that between them and Bell, they essentially have a monopoly. I'm just waiting until they rename Toronto Ted Rogers' City (it's only a matter of time). Anyways, like mentioned before, Rogers is probably the most expensive carrier out there and Canada in general is about 2-3 years away from the US and their costing philosophies. The major issue is that Rogers doesn't really have a true 3G infrastructure and will not be able to support the iPhone and it's features. So we will likely be stuck with the old GSM iPhones. Second, Rogers doesn't have any unlimited plans. I pay $90 a month just for a decent voice only package. I like the way AT&T is thinking, unlimited everything for $99. The third issue is that Rogers will likely be charging double the price for the iPhone and still force you to sign a contract. At least it will be easier to import one in from the states.

So, I'm not holding my breath and am quite skeptical that Rogers will do the smart thing for their business.

Poll Smoker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
I don't know. You shouldn't have unlocked it in the first place imo. Just should have wait. You do know when you unlocked the thing your warranty went byebye? They can't help you with the phone anymore. If you really want official support yes you have to sell and re-buy it (now officially). I'm from The Netherlands (Europe), and while I can hardly wait, I'm just waiting because I'm sure it's coming out this year. So why buy and EDGE version first, unlock, lose warranty, to get an official version in my country later on.

His phone will be fine, and won't need any help from Apple to get it working officially.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
Since I'm not a heavy mobile phone user, I didn't renew my contract with Bell when it ran out some three or four years back. With the money I saved by going pay-as-you-go for six months, I was able to buy a (then) brand new Palm Treo 600. I really want to replace it now. A PDA option that seamlessly integrates with my MBP would be so sweet. I don't want to simply drink the koolaid, I just want a simple, affordable solution.

In the meantime, I think I'll reserve my anti-corporate venom until the final costs of the hardware and data rates are made public. Might as well be accurate in my curses.

I'm just waiting until they rename Toronto Ted Rogers' City (it's only a matter of time).

It's still the SkyDome, dammit!

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Ya think?

When my time-out is finished, I'll remind you that a forum is a place in which one is free to express opinion. In my case I feel lik eI'm pointing out the obvious. IN your case, I feel like your response is "....but.....but iPhone!!"

I'm putting that on T-shirt...it's brill.

Step away from your computer and go throw a pie at Ted Rogers. Not only would it be extremely entertaining, it would get the message across much better than complaining in a forum he will never read. ;)

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
Rogers=Fido=Rogers :(

Rogers bought Fido a few years ago. So the plans are pretty much the same and the network is identical.

There is very little competition in Canada this means crappier service and high rates. If rogers does not change its data plan anyone using edge on the iphone will end up like that dude in Alberta who had a 80 000$ bill.

Yeah, it's rought. Non-competition in this country is killing the consumer. We're being bled dry because of a CRTC loophole from back in the day that allowed one company, Bell, to own all communication infrastructure in the country and lease it out to other companies at a "reasonable rate". It's still current and grossly unfair. It's the reason Allstream and Videotron still remain local. I'm actually very surprised Telus (Clearnet) oever got off the West Coast.

But we are where we are. Regarding Fido & Rogers' plans...yeah, their monthlies are fairly similar, but Fido at least had the good sense to offer an unlimited data plan at a reasonable rate. They also have a fair Phone plan...you can get for $25 what I'm currently paying $35 for.

Of course, since we're talking iPhone here, we're only considering 3G providers. The company with the BEST rates is likely Bell, with its $7/month unlimited data plan.

But you're right, it's a nickel-and-dime game. Oh to be more like Europe :)

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
Step away from your computer and go throw a pie at Ted Rogers. Not only would it be extremely entertaining, it would get the message across much better than complaining in a forum he will never read. ;)

Done. He looked the fool. Moreso than Chretian. Sadly, once he realized it was Banana Cream, he bought all Banana Cream rights and then charged me $45 for the pie and an additional $20 for the right to throw it...plus $6 for the plate.

Whose laughing NOW.

Reagrdless, typing on a forum is about as useful as shouting at a brick wall when it comes to affecting change, but it's no worse than your high-horse mentality ;)

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Done. He looked the fool. Moreso than Chretian. Sadly, once he realized it was Banana Cream, he bought all Banana Cream rights and then charged me $45 for the pie and an additional $20 for the right to throw it...plus $6 for the plate.

Whose laughing NOW.

Reagrdless, typing on a forum is about as useful as shouting at a brick wall when it comes to affecting change, but it's no worse than your high-horse mentality ;)

I'll stay on my cyber high-horse as long as I'm bored at work, thank-you very much. :cool:

EngBrian

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Great news. I wish the timing was a bit more firm but I'll takes what I can get. unfortunately this will require getting out of my telus contract or waiting for it to expire.

Wonder if they are going to have decent data plans finally.

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
I'll stay on my cyber high-horse as long as I'm bored at work, thank-you very much. :cool:

Hehe, and I'll rant on till the break of dawn :)

Come on man, you can't possibly think that the iPhone on the Rogers network is in any way good for the the Apple brand, much less the consumer??

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Hehe, and I'll rant on till the break of dawn :)

Come on man, you can't possibly think that the iPhone on the Rogers network is in any way good for the the Apple brand, much less the consumer??

I don't disagree with a word you've said. Rogers is one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with. I'm just happy that I won't have to worry about my iPhone getting bricked. My current Rogers cellphone bill is $50 a month, and for an iPhone if I have to pay slightly more per month, I will. If its ridiculous, I'll continue to go without until a viable alternative comes along.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?

Our only hope here is that Steve sees through all this and FORCES Rogers to come up with something better as part of the iPhone deal.

Steve likes for Apple to be in the premium market, but not the "so ridiculously expensive, it's a total rip off" category.

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
I don't disagree with a word you've said. Rogers is one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with. I'm just happy that I won't have to worry about my iPhone getting bricked. My current Rogers cellphone bill is $50 a month, and for an iPhone if I have to pay slightly more per month, I will. If its ridiculous, I'll continue to go without until a viable alternative comes along.

Ya, agreed. I guess I just wish I had more options. It'd be mad easy to get my iPhone from Rogers, cancel my service, and run over to Fido (yes, I know, same co.) if it weren't for the new $400 cancellation fee.

I absolutely can not stand being "told" what I must do regarding a cell phone, when the rest of the world has options. I feel like if I don;t adhere strictly to the provider's rules, I'm going to be sent to my room without dinner. If I wasn't such a Macingeek, I'd forgo the iPhone altogether and get a Virgin Mobile. Alas...I want the shiny toys :)

belancraig

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008
Heh, I did too. Class of '91! I'll call it Sam's Before I'll call it Ted's University.

Well Sam's just closed down and Ryerson bought the building. They are turning Sam The Record Man into student study space. And they just built the Ted Rogers School of Business building a couple of years ago, so things are a changin'!

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

This is good for Canada. Do most people like Rogers as a provider in Canada or are they like AT&T in the US?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.