Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Well I tried running this in terminal and now my Lacie drive will not connect. What I was told is that doing this removes the ACL Errors Here is what I did in terminal

Essentially open up a terminal and do the following:

cd /
ls -le

look at the Applications and Library folders in the listing and you should see they have specific ACLs. On one of my machines the Applications folder had 2 and the Library had one. On the other both had just one.

to remove these ACLs do the following:

sudo chmod -a# 0 "/Applications"
sudo chmod -a# 0 "/Library"

After that my network drive will not mount

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 143

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Is there a reason why you had to remove the ACLs? AFAIK if you are removing them only because you are seeing acl errors at the permission log file in leopard then it is totally unnecessary.

ACL errors codes should be ignored in leopard for now.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Is there a reason why you had to remove the ACLs? AFAIK if you are removing them only because you are seeing acl errors at the permission log file in leopard then it is totally unnecessary.

ACL errors codes should be ignored in leopard for now.

I was trying to remove them because it take like 2.5 hours to run.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
heres the command i used to remove my ACL error in /Library

Code:
sudo chmod -R -N /Library

try this it may fix your connect to server issue.

Mac Pilot says that error code -36 is an IO error (bummers) if that means anything to you… :D (cracks up) bummers!

removing the ACL issue wont speed up the repair of permissions. Disk Utility is just slow in Leopard and it will be fixed in later versions.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
incorrect
There is nothing wrong with the disk utility in leopard. It just works differently than the one in tiger it's doing a lot more, but just basically looks the same as the old disk utility.

mmm i dunno? i dont think im entirely incorrect. Leopard Disk Utility is version 11 and Tiger's was 10. Leopard now has a different receipt system which Disk Utility checks when repairing permissions but this hasnt fully been optimised yet so its slow.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
incorrect
There is nothing wrong with the disk utility in leopard. It just works differently than the one in tiger it's doing a lot more, but just basically looks the same as the old disk utility.

Do you even know on what did I said "correct"?

Removing any ACL due to acl error codes in your console log file is unnecessary. That's what I meant. It won't help in speeding up your system at all.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306925

Your "incorrect" answer is not even relevant to either richthomas' or my reply.

ElectricSheep

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Wilmington, DE
Where is the LaCie drive you are trying to mount? Is it being hosted by another Mac, or is it a standalone network appliance?

In my own experience, I have run into some Apple File Sharing issues related to a corrupt byte-range locking file. There is a file located in /Library/Preferences (at the root, not in your home folder) called com.apple.ByteRangeLocking.plist. Delete this file on the host computer and reboot (or restart Apple File Sharing).

pdaviesoz

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Adelaide, Oz
Constant acl errors

I got my new MBP 15 and retored from a backup on the Time Machine drive. I have had constant ACL errors and all sorts of problems including SLOW ever since. I've repaired permissions heaps, tried ACLr8 (twice), and its still all there. I'm guessing this is a problem with the user name, and I'll need a new one, but what do I do to stop the same happening again, and how do I not lose all the updates and permissions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.