Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hayd93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Hey,
I put some new ram in my power mac a few days ago.I added 1 stick and then booted and all was well.I tryed a 2nd stick and it took a bit of getting in anyway got it in and fired it up and nothing.Fans raved up then went.So i put the old sticks in and still the same.Here is a video showing what happens.The fans rev until you see that green light next to the zip drive and then it goes and all is dead.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uDw3Pte9KNc

Also just to tell you the logic board battery is out of power.It kept popping up on the mac telling me but it didn't effect my brownsing only that you had to be on the net for the time to be wright.So i just left it.

Please please can you help as i am having to use windows and i hate it :mad:

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
First step replace the battery. It has probably gone from low to dead and your PRAM is corrupted. This will prevent the machine from booting.

Before putting the new one in, press the CUDA switch on the motherboard for a couple of seconds. I also like to short across the battery terminals in the (empty) battery socket for a half hour or so, using a bent out paper clip. This ensures that the PRAM circuit is completely discharged before installing the new one.

hayd93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
First step replace the battery. It has probably gone from low to dead and your PRAM is corrupted. This will prevent the machine from booting.

Before putting the new one in, press the CUDA switch on the motherboard for a couple of seconds. I also like to short across the battery terminals in the (empty) battery socket for a half hour or so, using a bent out paper clip. This ensures that the PRAM circuit is completely discharged before installing the new one.
Cheers for the speedy reply,

Were can i get these batterys from ? If possible a shop that i can go to i live in the UK.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
They're just 3.6v Lithium batteries.. Google is your friend. Just order one online man.

I'd be sort of surprised if it were just the PRAM though. Trying the CUDA's a good idea, but I've never heard of a corrupt PRAM battery from even causing the computer to fail to even bootchime. Your computer can run without one; it doesn't technically need one to run, it just stores non-default changes of the NVRAM. Try removing the battery and putting it back in, first.

Also.. I'm sure this didn't happen... but you didn't by any chance use really, really old RAM... they have 168-pin SIMMs that would technically fit, but probably fry your computer. I doubt this is the case, but...? Lol.

If none of that works, try unplugging pretty much everything, leaving it alone for 5-10 mins and then replugging.

hayd93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
They're just 3.6v Lithium batteries.. Google is your friend. Just order one online man.

I'd be sort of surprised if it were just the PRAM though. Trying the CUDA's a good idea, but I've never heard of a corrupt PRAM battery from even causing the computer to fail to even bootchime. Your computer can run without one; it doesn't technically need one to run, it just stores non-default changes of the NVRAM. Try removing the battery and putting it back in, first.

Also.. I'm sure this didn't happen... but you didn't by any chance use really, really old RAM... they have 168-pin SIMMs that would technically fit, but probably fry your computer. I doubt this is the case, but...? Lol.

If none of that works, try unplugging pretty much everything, leaving it alone for 5-10 mins and then replugging.

tryed all apart from the CUDA's what is that and how do i do it ?

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
86760_04.jpg

Hold down the button that looks like that for sixty seconds while your computer is powered down. Then wait about five minutes and turn it back on, see if it works.

hayd93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
86760_04.jpg

Hold down the button that looks like that for sixty seconds while your computer is powered down. Then wait about five minutes and turn it back on, see if it works.

Ok i will try now and report back

hayd93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
pic.php

Would that be ok to go inside it ?

My batt is exacly the same size as that ect and that is a 3v the same.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Battery Expert..

pic.php

Would that be ok to go inside it ?

My batt is exacly the same size as that ect and that is a 3v the same.

Hi,

I am almost sure THIS one is the wrong battery. You need one with 3,6 Volt, not 3 !! You should be able to get one at Radio Shack, they are even marked sometimes "For Mac computers"

The technical correct size name is: "1/2 AA" The original Apple Brand name was TADIRAN / TL-2150

Since there are different brands out there, try to get one with a high mAH.
A 1100mAh would be great, however you can also use a 850 mAh if Radio Shack carries just this one.

Attachments

• DSC04272.JPG
    DSC04272.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 88

hayd93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Hi,

I am almost sure THIS one is the wrong battery. You need one with 3,6 Volt, not 3 !! You should be able to get one at Radio Shack, they are even marked sometimes "For Mac computers"

The technical correct size name is: "1/2 AA" The original Apple Brand name was TADIRAN / TL-2150

Since there are different brands out there, try to get one with a high mAH.
A 1100mAh would be great, however you can also use a 850 mAh if Radio Shack carries just this one.

thats the one i have at the moment in my mac.What are the chances though that a new battery would sort this ?

Tbarr

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2008
What are the chances though that a new battery would sort this ?
Well, look here,
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6662760

Then again, it could be the power supply. When mine went out though, it didn't just stop booting all at once. It would boot for about 5 seconds then stop. Then it would boot the next time, then take a few 'tries' before it would start, then it would display your behavior. A battery didn't help me. The hard fitting RAM doesn't sound good at all. Where did you get that RAM? Are you sure it was the correct type?

hayd93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Well, look here,
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6662760

Then again, it could be the power supply. When mine went out though, it didn't just stop booting all at once. It would boot for about 5 seconds then stop. Then it would boot the next time, then take a few 'tries' before it would start, then it would display your behavior. A battery didn't help me. The hard fitting RAM doesn't sound good at all. Where did you get that RAM? Are you sure it was the correct type?

Yes the ram was the correct type i got it from a mate.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
Hey,
I put some new ram in my power mac a few days ago.I added 1 stick and then booted and all was well.I tryed a 2nd stick and it took a bit of getting in anyway got it in and fired it up and nothing.Fans raved up then went.So i put the old sticks in and still the same.Here is a video showing what happens.The fans rev until you see that green light next to the zip drive and then it goes and all is dead.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uDw3Pte9KNc

Also just to tell you the logic board battery is out of power.It kept popping up on the mac telling me but it didn't effect my brownsing only that you had to be on the net for the time to be wright.So i just left it.

Please please can you help as i am having to use windows and i hate it :mad:

if you've replaced the old battery with a known good one, then the power supply is dead. When the power supply goes, the front button will light up (sometimes) but the thing won't provide enough current to fire itself up. I've had the same problem over the years with a few of the old G4's in our office. The power supplies are easy to replace, or relatively so. Finding one in your immediate vicinity, however, can be a bit trying. You might well wind up having to order one.

if it's not the power supply, it's the logic board...for your sake, I hope it's the power supply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.