Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madfresh

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
cimg56257ac92.JPG

cimg562684d75.JPG

cimg5627c3a14.JPG

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Please, please, PLEASE don't whine about how they're PCs. There's an iBook sitting closed on the big table. It shouldn't matter anyway!

I quite disagree. It does matter; that's why there's a separate thread for PC setups, and why the front page of macrumors doesn't post stories when dell updates its lines. It's not at all unreasonable to ask that the thread about mac setups be kept to macs.

outstanding setup. I'm most impressed.

Mine is 3675 on the 2.0.16v of GeekBench...

I've seen an imac spec like mine a few weeks ago go up into the 4000 territory :eek:

Which is exactly why artificial benchmarks really don't mean a thing.

popcornjuice

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
earth
let's see, my original mac was one of the clunker performa series back in the day, stepped up to an imac 333 lime, then imac dv 700 se, then imac g4 dome 800.

i saved for a good reason. . .i went all out & purchased a mac pro 8 core. the only accessories not included in the sig are alum. keyboard, bluetooth keyboard, mighty mouse & wireless mighy mouse, & intuos3 6x8 wacom.

the wife took the macbook to school, so no pics.

Attachments

• DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 276

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
setup.jpg

My aging 12'' 1.5 PB with HK Soundsticks II, an 8 GB iPhone and a couple G-Drives.

PowerBookRelic

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
let's see, my original mac was one of the clunker performa series back in the day, stepped up to an imac 333 lime, then imac dv 700 se, then imac g4 dome 800.

i saved for a good reason. . .i went all out & purchased a mac pro 8 core. the only accessories not included in the sig are alum. keyboard, bluetooth keyboard, mighty mouse & wireless mighy mouse, & intuos3 6x8 wacom.

the wife took the macbook to school, so no pics.

WOW. I like your setup a lot, especially with the dual monitors sharing a stand. But, what I must complement you on is your BEAST of a MP - an octo with 12GB of ram :cool:

popcornjuice

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
earth
what can i say, when you get some money (i definitely needed to upgrade), spend it on something big that can be upgraded for life (& hopefully never have to replace?). i do alot of digital illustration & audio/video production & needed the boost. . . i am also a mac addict if you couldn't tell & macsales.com is my retail whore.

PowerBookRelic

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
Present: New Mac Pro setup in the bedroom. The MacBook is now actually used as a laptop. Yeh! Trimmed the fat on some accessories, and networked to the laser printer kept elsewhere in the house.
100_1272.jpg

Sorry to resurrect a picture from the beginning of part V, but I have a question about your monitor. I have recently been debating about, instead of getting a new MBP as my main computer (as my PBG4 is), getting a base MacPro and keeping the PBG4 for mobile computing. My problem is that I cannot afford a MP and an ACD, but I did just purchase a 32" HDTV that I could use as a monitor. So, having a 30" monitor in front of you on a desk, is that too much in regards to strain on your eyes and how close it is?

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Sorry to resurrect a picture from the beginning of part V, but I have a question about your monitor. I have recently been debating about, instead of getting a new MBP as my main computer (as my PBG4 is), getting a base MacPro and keeping the PBG4 for mobile computing. My problem is that I cannot afford a MP and an ACD, but I did just purchase a 32" HDTV that I could use as a monitor. So, having a 30" monitor in front of you on a desk, is that too much in regards to strain on your eyes and how close it is?

It is at first.

I'm nearsighted and at around 2 feet text begins to distort. I try to maintain this distance for the very reason you stated. If i"m any closer, it's to scrutinize the pixels on screen. It's a comfortable distance and does allow a degree of coverage of the screen without much movements of your head.

Believe me though, any draw backs of a large canvas like that will be rewarded ten folds.

Mark-Mac-Attack

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
England
Update:

DSC07312.jpg

DSC07315.jpg

DSC07320.jpg

DSC07318.jpg

New arrival of a 12" Powerbook, looks great doesn't it?

All in there is in no particular order...

iPhone 8GB, Classic 80GB, Nano 1GB, Nano 8GB, 4 iPod docks (3 shown), dual dock, iphone dock (not shown), Bose companion 5's, Apple wireless keyboard and mighty mouse, 20" iMac, 12" powerbook, iPhone BT headset, Xbox 360 and HD Drive, Samsung 32" LCD, Sony Amp/cd deck/tuner, Time capsule 500GB, BT Home Hub, speakers normal phone etc. and of course Apple poster from about 1999? i believe.

Cheers,

Mark.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
If you can get away with sticking to Tiger on a 12" Powerbook, the experience is a lot better. They FLY under Tiger, especially with 1GB RAM or more!

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Cambridge, UK
Is it still your main computer? I'm thinking about getting one as a low-duty backup. Do you think it would perform well with Leopard and iWork/iLife?

I run the PB in my sig with iLife, iWork, Safari etc, and the only real problem is it tends to get really hot when watching video/3+ apps open, other than that, not a lot wrong at all.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
I had no idea the 12"ers got so hot! Every laptop I own goes for about 45 minutes watching youtube and IMing while sitting on a shag rug, and IIRC my 1.67GHz 15"er went up to about 60 degrees Celsius.

Nevertheless, all the Powerbook G4s are wonderful computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.