Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
There are almost *1000* one-and two-star reviews on Apple's own store detailing how the Magsafes break, over and over again, in exactly the same way, in exactly the same place. Unfortunately, a few people keep trying to pin the blame on users for not handling the adapters properly. It's beyond obvious that they're defective, faulty, dangerous products. Which is precisely why they changed the design for the MBA. I imagine that design will start showing up on the MB and MBP before long.

I've been fortunate enough not to have problems with my Magsafe adapters but I know plenty of people who have, and it does seem ironic that something with "safe" in the name is clearly so dangerous under certain conditions!
The Magsafe on my Air is a far better design than the original ones, and hopefully Apple will migrate the Air style tip to the rest of the range

Apogee

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
If anything that record will garnish him either a new power adapter or a new computer. Its a dangerous hazard for the thing to be falling apart like that. Best to document the problem as much as possible.

Apple is really good about repairs. I have never been given a hassle on a return for defective reasons. They always just hand me a new one. Probably the only computer company left with a good policy. IBM used to be the king in this area. Not any more.

I thought in another thread you were saying Apple is very greedy?

fredrickyoon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Seoul, South Korea
Luckily, my MagSafe adapter for both my MacBook Pro and MacBook Air have been flawless so far. Hoping that I don't get those heating issues with mine as well. Though I have AppleCare on all of my Apple products, if the problem should evolve later on, I can always bring it in to get it replaced if need be.

Alpinism

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2005
To make the connector neck more rigid and avoiding the bend pressure on the connector, use the little white 'alligator' clip and make a little bend on the power cord. This should straighten up the cord and lighten up the pressure on the magsafe connector joint.

dxpx

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2008
the 405, OK
might i add to the rest by saying - "bravo! well done!"

thought provoking, and inevitably beneficial. two themes i think we all can dance to! :cool:

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Difficult repair, but I totally understand your situation. I'm constantly keeping an eye on my MagSafe Charger and concerned over the heat issues. I've attached the Apple Website:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302461

And though they say they'll replace the MagSafe Charger "if necessary" even if it is out of warranty, I'm pretty sure, like the OP was saying, many of us can't wait for the turn around of said item. Scary pics! :eek:

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
There are almost *1000* one-and two-star reviews on Apple's own store detailing how the Magsafes break, over and over again, in exactly the same way, in exactly the same place. Unfortunately, a few people keep trying to pin the blame on users for not handling the adapters properly. It's beyond obvious that they're defective, faulty, dangerous products

This is definitely the truth, the magsafe for better or for worse is defective.

It just happened to my wife's Macbook Pro. Both sides are fried !
What can one do now ?
See pictures here: http://www.musiclicensing.net/mbp.htm

Get Apple to give you a new computer or at the very least repair it for free, its a design flaw.

daneolsen

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2008
Chicago
Repair pictures

My Magsafe adapter has frayed out from normal stress and I'm looking to do a little DIY fix job on it myself. Can you please repost the pictures or direct me to where they are posted now? Thanks!

My MBP is 2 years old, no apple care, anybody have luck with Apple replacing the magsafe at this point in time?

netddos

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
My Magsafe adapter has frayed out from normal stress and I'm looking to do a little DIY fix job on it myself. Can you please repost the pictures or direct me to where they are posted now? Thanks!

My MBP is 2 years old, no apple care, anybody have luck with Apple replacing the magsafe at this point in time?

Is this "defect" present in Macbook Air's magsafe adaptor?

AKazak

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2008
Pictures needed...

one1

Could you please repost your pictures?

I have the same problem:
e845c4f66adc.jpg

Zel

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
I'm interested in your repair and damage diagnostic, but the pics are down!

one1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I told everyone last time if you use this post up and for a month it laid dead and I killed the pics yesterday.... now boom it's back up again within an hour of me killing the pics just like last time.

Happens every time I delete them, no one posts and it dies away.

Someone close this thread please.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I told everyone last time if you use this post up and for a month it laid dead and I killed the pics yesterday.... now boom it's back up again within an hour of me killing the pics just like last time.

Happens every time I delete them, no one posts and it dies away.

Someone close this thread please.
Well you offered up the help it seems odd to expect people to need/use the help every month. Sorry, I appreciate your help and while I do not need it myself I presume others may. It is generous of you to do this but on the flip side there are free hosting sites that will allow you to host for free.
Why don't you just leave the pictures.
Question of the hour. ;)

AKazak

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2008
Could you please spend a time and recover your magic images and I'll post here the result!
:eek:

Zel

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
I guess he doesnt know how forums work, this isn't a chatroom...

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
Well I hope nobody ever HAS to use the info, but I cannot afford the downtime waiting for apple to ship it (nearest store is 140 miles away). 45 mins to a like new unit works best for me. :)

When mine started to split I just took it into the store and they replaced it on the spot. Took 5 minutes tops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.