Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
In iMovie HD, there's a dedicated tab full of video effects (Earthquake, lens flare, etc etc). I don't see these anywhere in iMovie '08. Where do I find them? Are they even there?

Also, are there any downloads for iMovie '08 anywhere that add some more effects or titles or anything? Some of the titles from iMovie HD aren't available, and I was really looking to use some of those in the video I'm making.

I realize that iMovie HD is available as a free download on Apple.com, and I took advantage of that. However, I greatly prefer the interface of iMovie 08 and would prefer to work in that, if at all possible.

urbanskywalker

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2007
Apple removed them in the 08 version. Perhaps they will add them later, but probably they want to up-sell you on Final Cut express.

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Apple removed them in the 08 version. Perhaps they will add them later, but probably they want to up-sell you on Final Cut express.

Well that's lame. I suppose that's why they put iMovie HD up for free download.

I saw through a tutorial on Apple.com that while you can import an iMovie HD file into iMovie 08, any effects that you put on in HD will be removed... all you get is the basic timeline.

Is there any way around this? Or possibly a free alternative app?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I can't stand iMovie 08. It is a different and interesting approach, but making Movies really isn't the same kind of thing as storing Photos. The iPhoto like design really kills it.

iMovie HD is what I use for - has a timeline that makes sense. I hate those bloody yellow crop box things in iMovie 08!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.