Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
I made this recently so I thought I'd share. The data is fresh as of today and it was obtained directly off of the website of the two carriers.

note: the map is certainly NOT PERFECT. There were many elements on the original maps that had to be removed to overlay them together such as other services coverage areas with different colors, differing state and city label locations, etc. In the areas where extraneous text labels were removed on the Verizon coverage, I did the best I could to extrapolate the coverage boundaries based on the surrounding area. That being said, DO NOT RELY on this map to insure you have 3G service in your area -- it is only intended to be used for a quick comparison of national coverage. To check your local area for coverage, please visit http://www.att.com or http://www.verizonwireless.com.

The Image below is an Gif animation. You need to let the frames load to see the comparison data...

attvsvzw3gdt0.gif

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
If anybody wonders why Apple waited until battery life improved to put 3G on the thing, um, that's why.

I really don't blame AT&T for not rolling out 3G more by now. The country is HUGE and very sparsely populated outside of the major cities. As far as I know, there wasn't really much of a desire for 3G before the iPhone. I know I had never heard of it.

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
If anybody wonders why Apple waited until battery life improved to put 3G on the thing, um, that's why.

I really don't blame AT&T for not rolling out 3G more by now. The country is HUGE and very sparsely populated outside of the major cities. As far as I know, there wasn't really much of a desire for 3G before the iPhone. I know I had never heard of it.

well the us market makes about 7-8% of the world cell phone market so making a cell phone for that market alone is a bit silly, especially if you have a global brand as apple does.

as for hearing of 3g, i'm not sure consumers should really hear or care about such technicalities. it's the services 3g enables that consumers want.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Two months ago AT&T stated in a press release (and published here on the front page) that they would have 3G up in 300 markets. That would have to be pretty much equivalent to Verizon's coverage. I think that's an awfully ambitious statement to make especially since it's already May and I haven't seen much on Howard Forums about people saying there are any new, signficant coverages in their area.

There isn't anything on that map that makes me think it represents anything other than last year's AT&T coverage map or even what's presently on their locator dated for March. Even so, for months people have been posting hundreds of threads about how the 3G phone will be the best thing ever. Well, if you happen to live in one of those areas it will be nice to have faster speeds. Don't stray from the coverage area or you might as well have stuck with the original iPhone. The 300 markets aren't going to magically turn on when the new phone is released. I think there's going to be hundreds of complaint threads very shortly.

kdarling

macrumors P6
as for hearing of 3g, i'm not sure consumers should really hear or care about such technicalities. it's the services 3g enables that consumers want.

Yes, but think of current home broadband advertising... companies are always comparing their speeds in commercials. So the speed "technicality" is already considered a major consumer selling point.

PS to Winterspan: thanks for the hard work... terrific map!

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
AT&T is going to be expanding their 3G service heavily this year. I don't know why you would make this though.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Um..less AT&T's "3G" came out later then Verizon's, so this seems logical.

But since this comparison is between to different networks, one with the iPhone, one without, it seems like a silly place to talk about this.

(Also for note, AT&T's network has higher potential speeds)

Perhaps you'd be bet off show T Mobile's 3G network vs AT&T's....at least then you can relate it to the iPhone.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Wow, that's less than I thought, but at least my area has coverage. :D

It's not less than you thought. I bet if the map also showed population density, there wouldn't really be anything to talk about. AT&T's coverage is plenty for the vast majority of users. Props to Verizon for having high-speed data in Wyoming... but that doesn't help me since I'm never IN Wyoming.

For most Americans, AT&T's 3G coverage is more than enough. If you are not one of those Americans, don't buy a 3G iPhone.

kdarling

macrumors P6
It's not less than you thought. I bet if the map also showed population density, there wouldn't really be anything to talk about. AT&T's coverage is plenty for the vast majority of users.

I actually took the time a couple of months ago, to compare ATT's city list with census tables, and add things up. It came out that ATT's 3G covers at least 100 million people, and probably a lot more by now, or soon.

Now that's theoretical, because there are dead spots within supposedly covered cities that mess everything up. But over all, it's a fair amount of people.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I think the comparison helps, .
I don't..
because people are always asking about 3G coverage. .

Kind of...but why post it here(when its about Verizon) and the OP says this map isn't to see local coverage

e. It's hard sometimes to visualize what good coverage consists of. This map instantly demonstrates it.

I'd say it doesn't, it just shows where AT&T and Verizon have a 3G network. Perhaps an EDGE vs AT&T's 3G network, then we'd have something that shows coverage(useful to iPhone owners)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
It's not less than you thought.

Wait, how do you know what he or she thought?

AT&T's coverage is plenty for the vast majority of users......For most Americans, AT&T's 3G coverage is more than enough.

Stop using the word "majority or most", you don't know how many people are covered. We have a rough figure of 100M in this thread, and guess what, thats not the majority of people in America.

but that doesn't help me since I'm never IN Wyoming..
Guess what! This thread wasn't made just for you!

For most Americans, AT&T's 3G coverage is more than enough.
Stop telling people what is enough for them

. If you are not one of those Americans, don't buy a 3G iPhone.

Why? A 3G iPhone works just fine on EDGE.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
AT&T is going to be expanding their 3G service heavily this year. I don't know why you would make this though.

I'm sure they might get more aggressive because of the iPhone but, AT&T has been saying this for a very long time and their 3G coverage still sucks.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Stop using the word "majority or most", you don't know how many people are covered. We have a rough figure of 100M in this thread, and guess what, thats not the majority of people in America.

Actually, I do know that the majority of Americans live in urban areas (not rural areas), and by looking at that map I can clearly see that most urban areas are covered. So there's no need to be a jerk, the reality is that AT&T's coverage serves the areas where *most* people live.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Actually, I do know that the majority of Americans live in urban areas (not rural areas), and by looking at that map I can clearly see that most urban areas are covered. So there's no need to be a jerk, the reality is that AT&T's coverage serves the areas where *most* people live.

60% wasn't it - I thought Computer world reviewd AT&T's 3G network recently. Will try and find the link

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
So there's no need to be a jerk, the reality is that AT&T's coverage serves the areas where *most* people live.

It may be where most people live but it's a mobile device. It doesn't take very long to drive outside of those coverage areas. Then it really doesn't matter where you live.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
AT&T 3G Coverage - Will I get it?

Obviously the next iPhone will have 3G and I was wondering if I will get service at my house...

I really don't need the 3G since I will be connected to wifi most of the time at home. But it would be nice.

picture1mz2.png

It shows me approx 1/2 miles outside the 3G coverage area :( (I am the red dot)

Just wondering how accurate these maps are and if they are current. If you are a AT&T rep you would probably know best. Thanks!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm a little confused... what is the difference between the dark blue section and the dark orange section? And I'm guessing the light blue parts are lakes. If the dark blue is the coverage area, you might be out of luck. Like you said, someone from AT&T would know best.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
I'm a little confused... what is the difference between the dark blue section and the dark orange section? And I'm guessing the light blue parts are lakes. If the dark blue is the coverage area, you might be out of luck. Like you said, someone from AT&T would know best.

You can see the coverage map here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

Dark Blue is: 3G

Dark Orange is: Best Voice coverage
Lighter Orange is: Good Voice coverage

Light Blue is: Lakes

impact_blue

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2005

Dark blue is the 3G coverage. So no you wont get 3G, but hey you got wifi at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.