Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yay or nay?

• Calibration YES!!!!!!!!

Votes: 87 66.4%
  • Calibration NO!!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 44 33.6%

• Total voters

genshi

macrumors 6502a
yes.

I guess that's why I'm not having the same issues some other people are having of drained batteries and always having to charge. I can go at least a couple of days of moderate use (a few phone calls, watch a video, listen to lots of music, google maps, etc.) without always having to charge (with WiFi always being on, screen brightness turned up, etc.)

My routine when I do charge is, I just plug it in for a couple of hours when I get home from work, then when I get the "Full Charge" symbol, I unplug and lay the iPhone by the bedside night stand (unplugged) to use as my alarm clock in the morning.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
How does one properly "calibrate" a battery? Just let it drain to empty?

Was going to ask the same question but this must be it. However you should only drain the battery completely about once a month at the most. Completely draining a lithium-ion battery causes crystals to grow and diminishes over all battery life.

EDIT: A quick Google and found a great article.

genshi

macrumors 6502a
Was going to ask the same question but this must be it. However you should only drain the battery completely about once a month at the most. Completely draining a lithium-ion battery causes crystals to grow and diminishes over all battery life.

EDIT: A quick Google and found a great article.

Yep, I've only completely drained it 3 or 4 times since the day I got it (which was the first day it was released) but the first time I did this was within the first week. It seemed to have made a difference (or I just got lucky.) Coming up on a full year with my iPhone and still no issues at all.

onlycopunk

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Newtown
Oddly enough mine came fully charged.

I'm usually a stickler about battery calibration, but I've was syncing and what not off an on the first couple days i got my iphone. It was so hard not to.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Completely draining Li-ion batteries will decrease battery life, don't do it.

True, but you need to reset the control electronics (battery fuel gage) about every 30 cycles or so. If not it will "think" the battery is dead and shut off before it actually is.

Please read the article I liked to. It has some great info.

mattyb527

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2009
Yes, Calibration of iPhone is Crucial to extend the life of you battery!!

Apple states that is is very important to calibrate it at least once a month.

The following is a quote from Apple's website:

"Use iPhone Regularly. For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery,
it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally.
Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month
(charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)."

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
yes and my experience with Li-ions over the years bear out the advantages of calibrating.

iLoveiPhone3GS

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
Absolutely YES! It is better for the health of the battery to calibrate it atleast once a month. I do the same with my UMB.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I think the idea people are missing is that calibration isn't going to improve your battery's performance. If your battery sucks performance-wise, calibration will do nothing for you. Take it back and get it replaced.

All you're doing with a calibration is making the graphical representation of your battery (upper right battery image) more accurate.

alansaysstop

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
Roseville
I do it with my macbook every 3 weeks or so. Don't feel like dishing out almost 200 bucks for a new battery. I think I'm going to do start doing this with my iphone. My phone is my only way to get ahold of people at times so I don't like doing it.

jaggunothing

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Bangalore, India
Yes!

Yes.

On a monthly basis i do, battery back up has remained excellent and meter predictable after 1 year of regular usage. iPhone 3G.

Sony Vaio 3 years and going strong with close to 7 hours back up.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
I was never a believer in iPhone battery callibration but I just did allow my 32GB 3GS to be charged completely, drain completely and re-charged and I noticed an immediate improvement in battery life.

tofuramen

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
Does anyone know if the iPhone actually shuts itself off before the battery is "drained"? Blackberries have that automatic shut off when it reaches a low percent and I am wondering if the iPhone is the same, so when we are thinking we have drained it to shut off, it actually still has battery life left?

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
Does anyone know if the iPhone actually shuts itself off before the battery is "drained"? Blackberries have that automatic shut off when it reaches a low percent and I am wondering if the iPhone is the same, so when we are thinking we have drained it to shut off, it actually still has battery life left?

it shutsdown at 2-3% then then forces your to charge

RITZFit

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Just around the river bend
I never made a conscious effort to do it with my original iPhone...I just used it (lots of "quick" and random charges); I guess the closest thing to recalibration was if the phone just died on me while I was out and just let it fully recharge later (however not a frequent occurrence). That phone was purchased in 08 and still holds a strong charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.