Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bamaworks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Lexington, KY
I've seen conflicting opinions on the fact that users will get a ridiculous data charge if they don't have a data plan. Would this still occur if EDGE is blocked? On my current phone when I try to access the internet it give me a service unavailable error, does this mean I'm free to unlock an iPhone and just use it as a cell + ipod + wifi device only and not worry about some exorbitant charge at the end of the month? (FYI I'm on AT&T)

Thanks in advance!

jdee2wheels

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
I use an iphone with a regular AT&T plan. I unlocked the iphone and just put in the sim card AT&T gave me when I signed up for the basic plan. Make sure you download bosspref (I think that's what they call it) to block edge completely. I ran up about $35 in usage charges in about 5 minutes when I didn't realize the phone was not on wifi the first month.

Also, AT&T knows I'm using an iphone because it lists the phone I'm using when I log onto my account. I haven't had any trouble not having an iphone plan and because I didn't get a free phone with my basic plan I didn't get locked into a 2 year contract.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
You would get ridiculous charges if you didn't have a data plan or block data. That being said, I can't imagine using an iPhone without the data plan. It would really become almost useless.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I've been using my iPhone as a Go Phone for a good while now, and didn't have data for most of that time. As long as you're in a wi-fi area most of the time (like I was, the whole campus of my college is a wi-fi zone, and my house has wi-fi) you should be fine. If you're not in wi-fi most of the time, then it's gonna blow. That's why I decided to get the $20 unlimited data thingy that they just offered for Go Phone customers, while school's off for summer :)

bamaworks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Lexington, KY
I've been using my iPhone as a Go Phone for a good while now, and didn't have data for most of that time. As long as you're in a wi-fi area most of the time (like I was, the whole campus of my college is a wi-fi zone, and my house has wi-fi) you should be fine. If you're not in wi-fi most of the time, then it's gonna blow. That's why I decided to get the $20 unlimited data thingy that they just offered for Go Phone customers, while school's off for summer :)

Yeah, I'm on campus or in my apartment all the time (100% wifi coverage). I know my data, etc are currently blocked so I doubt that will be an issue, I was just checking to see if anyone had any contradictory info to what I've learned.

AHDUKE, I disagree about it being useless. It still would have EVERY feature an iPod Touch has plus an external speaker, cell phone capability, and camera...

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I wouldn't say it is useless, but for me I am always on data whether the internet or email. Couldn't imagine being without while using an iPhone on a daily basis. I use it a lot at work where they lock Wi-Fi for work laptops only, and they block most of the good webpages like Youtube.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
You would get ridiculous charges if you didn't have a data plan or block data. That being said, I can't imagine using an iPhone without the data plan. It would really become almost useless.

+1

There are so many places you go that don't have wifi I wouldn't want to use an iPhone without the data plan.

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Yeah, I'm on campus or in my apartment all the time (100% wifi coverage). I know my data, etc are currently blocked so I doubt that will be an issue, I was just checking to see if anyone had any contradictory info to what I've learned.

I thought I would be the same way, but I ended up using edge a lot more than you think. I use it when I go out to eat, go to movies, stuff like that.

richardhunt

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
I use my iphone without a data plan. I had At&t block edge for my account. I have not really had a need for edge data yet, as I'm winthin wifi most of the time. If I lived in another area where wifi coverage was not as prevalent, I would no doubt use edge.

lax15

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
I could not live without the data plan. I almost excluesively live off of edge since wi-fi is blocked for my phone throughout 90% of my day and I can get on a computer for the other 10%. The edge is actually fast enough for me here.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
I could not live without the data plan. I almost excluesively live off of edge since wi-fi is blocked for my phone throughout 90% of my day and I can get on a computer for the other 10%. The edge is actually fast enough for me here.

Same here. Probably why I'm anxious for 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.