Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. Klein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Ok, so I need help deciding. I have the Bamboo Fun small right now, but I am thinking about moving up to the Bamboo Medium for the increased real estate. However, then i could upgrade to the intuos for essentially an extra hundred dollars. Now that would be hard for me to come up with, but I also want to make sure that I wont regret not buying the intuos. I know the differences from a technical aspect, but how much do the advantages to the intuos over the Bamboo really make a difference? I used the tablet for every day tasks, ink blogging, photoshop and corel painter.
Some input would be excellent.
Also any recommendations of where to purchase one of these for the lowest price would be appreciated.

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Just buy the Intuos - it offers more levels of preasure and believe me you won't reget purchasing it.

You can buy other tools for it that you can't buy for the Bamboo.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Just buy the Intuos - it offers more levels of preasure and believe me you won't reget purchasing it.

You can buy other tools for it that you can't buy for the Bamboo.

I agree 100% The option(s) to add different Pens (6D Pen and Airbrush) would really help or be nice when using Painter (not sure about PS).

Dr. Klein
I'd say if you can save to get the Intuos then do so but if needs dictate then get what you can afford.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I agree 100% The option(s) to add different Pens (6D Pen and Airbrush) would really help or be nice when using Painter (not sure about PS).

I kind of agree. If you are a photographer pen angle and rotation don't matter much but if you are drawing freehand you will need the pen angle in order to aim the airbrush tool. With no pen angle on the Bamboo the angle is forever fixed at "straight down". The high end tablet is beeter at simulating natural media

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
The practical difference in Painter will be comparable to switching from using a crayon (Bamboo) to a fine tipped marker (Intuos), while doing detail work. If you're doing any sort of detail work, than it's worth the $100 to get the Intuos. If the 'crayon' is detailed enough, than stick with the Bamboo.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
I wouldnt get it for the extra tools, I have never wanted to use those expensive pens and havent known anyone else that used them, the regular pen is the best. Personally I hate the angle crap in painter, so its not a plus for me.

If you do a lot of drawing and painting then the Intuos is a worthwhile investment. It has better control and is a lot more durable. An Intuos will last you as long as USB is still around. I have an Intuos 1 and it could still pass off as "like new" if I sold it.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
i have the bamboo and although i don't use it that much (i don't know why but internet/normal tasks are just easier with a mouse than a tablet for me)

I've already found the tablet is a bit scratched - not deep scratches by any means, but little scratches i could probably get out with a good clean up with a damp cloth.

And the nib has almost worn away (is that normal? - i've only used it for about 100 hours, i'm guessing) - do you have to buy replacement nibs?

All in all i'm neither happy nor disappointed with it. I just don't use it that much at the moment, but when i go back to university next year they provide us with A5 (or A4, can't remember) Intuos tablets so i'll get used to using them a bit more i guess.

It's a bit tricky using the side buttons on the pen at the moment!

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
i have the bamboo and although i don't use it that much (i don't know why but internet/normal tasks are just easier with a mouse than a tablet for me) And the nib has almost worn away (is that normal? - i've only used it for about 100 hours, i'm guessing) - do you have to buy replacement nibs?

I know on Amazon there is a kit for the Pen for the Intuos that sells for $19.99 and has replacement nibs and different ones in the kit also. I think I changed mine right away to the felt like nib (black one) and I like it better than the white/clear ones but that's just me. I don't know about how long they will last but just adjust your pressure on the Pen if you're blasting through the nibs in 100 hours it seems like a lot to me and I use mine all the time.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
The Bamboo is built for fun, and less detailed tasks. The nibs are known to wear out quickly. Fortunately, you can replace them on the cheap.

The Intuos comes with a few nibs, one of which is graphite, and imo, offers better control for finer detail.

It takes a bit to get used to using a tablet, regardless of which one you purchase. You just need to dedicate a bit of time and effort. Once you feel comfortable, you often wonder how you got along without it. But, they aren't for everyone, and some people find their work
flow is more efficient with a mouse.

As far as the scratching? This doesn't detract from the performance of the tablet, unless you're talking about deep grooves. The Intuos come with a protective sheet that covers the actual tablet, but not sure on the Bamboo. Either way, it's most likely nothing to worry about.

One thing to consider, is the fact that the Bamboo is not as pressure sensitive, and you may find yourself applying excessive force on the tablet with your pen in order to feel the level of control necessary for your tasks. This is obviously much less an issue with the Intuos, due to it's increased pressure sensitivity.

The Intuos are more realistic to tactile mediums than the Bamboo, and therefore also take less time to feel comfortable using. My first tablet was the Graphire line, which is what the Bamboo replaced. I felt very awkward using it, and gave up quickly, but when I got the Intuos, it felt more natural, and the difference was very noticeable.

I seriously think that if you can afford to purchase the Intuos over the Bamboo, it's a wise choice. It's better to spend a bit more on something you'll actually use regularly, than to spend a bit less on something that will quickly become a dust collector. :)

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
Slight hijacking...

I tend to draw stuff when I'm taking notes at my desk. After I draw it, I try to put it into my computer so I can cut/paste sections and move them around.

I was thinking of picking up a very inexpensive tablet for use with my Mini and my PC.

I'm looking at the Bamboo (not the "fun" one).

I have the graphic ability of a dead cockroach, this is just to help me stop using paper when I want to draw something.

For instance, if I'm trying to figure out the wiring diagram for four computers in a small space, which systems share a USB hub, which devices are specific to each box, etc.

Would a Bamboo be the right way to go, should I save up for something better, or should I stick to killing trees?

I appreciate any direction, and apologize for shifting the thread a tiny bit.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
I tend to draw stuff when I'm taking notes at my desk. After I draw it, I try to put it into my computer so I can cut/paste sections and move them around.

I was thinking of picking up a very inexpensive tablet for use with my Mini and my PC.

I'm looking at the Bamboo (not the "fun" one).

I have the graphic ability of a dead cockroach, this is just to help me stop using paper when I want to draw something.

For instance, if I'm trying to figure out the wiring diagram for four computers in a small space, which systems share a USB hub, which devices are specific to each box, etc.

Would a Bamboo be the right way to go, should I save up for something better, or should I stick to killing trees?

I appreciate any direction, and apologize for shifting the thread a tiny bit.
Tablets take a long time to get used to. You are not looking at the pen when drawing, youre looking at the screen. Its almost like drawing from a mirror or with your opposite hand. Theres a lot of hand-eye coordination that needs to be learned and it takes a long time to learn it. Its like learning how to be comfortable with a musical instrument, when you start out you feel like a fumbling moron since you want to do something but your hands do something else. It only takes a few weeks of casual use to become "used" to the tablet so you can actually use it productively, but if you expect to draw on a tablet as good as you draw on paper then expect that to take years (a lot of professional illustrators that have been using them 24/7 for several years still say they cant draw as good on a tablet as they can the traditional way, they can draw damn good on a tablet but they still cant draw AS good). You need to be a damn good drawer on paper if you expect to be just a good drawer on a tablet.

Its not uncommon for people to give up using a tablet and resort back to a mouse after a day or 2 since they get frustrated and say they can draw better with a mouse.

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
Tablets take a long time to get used to. You are not looking at the pen when drawing, youre looking at the screen. Its almost like drawing from a mirror or with your opposite hand. Theres a lot of hand-eye coordination that needs to be learned and it takes a long time to learn it. Its like learning how to be comfortable with a musical instrument, when you start out you feel like a fumbling moron since you want to do something but your hands do something else. It only takes a few weeks of casual use to become "used" to the tablet so you can actually use it productively, but if you expect to draw on a tablet as good as you draw on paper then expect that to take years (a lot of professional illustrators that have been using them 24/7 for several years still say they cant draw as good on a tablet as they can the traditional way, they can draw damn good on a tablet but they still cant draw AS good). You need to be a damn good drawer on paper if you expect to be just a good drawer on a tablet.

Its not uncommon for people to give up using a tablet and resort back to a mouse after a day or 2 since they get frustrated and say they can draw better with a mouse.

Thanks for the info. Now, when I say drawing, I'm not thinking Sistine Chapel. I'm thinking back of the envelope/napkin kind of drawing. Detail not as important as the concept.

Is a tablet overkill? I can't draw worth two craps with a mouse.

I'm just wondering if the $80 is worth the look, or if I'm just trying to spend money I don't have on a solution I don't need. :)

Dr. Klein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
i think if youre looking at getting the bamboo you may want to get the bamboo fun as you get some good software for only \20 extra dollars

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
Thanks for the info. Now, when I say drawing, I'm not thinking Sistine Chapel. I'm thinking back of the envelope/napkin kind of drawing. Detail not as important as the concept.

I'm just wondering if the $80 is worth the look, or if I'm just trying to spend money I don't have on a solution I don't need. :)

I agree the Bamboo fun may be worth a try. If it doesn't work out for you, you can always eBay it. :)

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a

For what you are describing, I kind of feel a scanner might be of better use for you. If you are not talented at drawing, and are already able to get what you need through scribbles on paper, it sounds like it would be better to scan your images and "move them around" in photoshop or gimp. If it's currently difficult at all for you to achieve what you want on your napkins, it will be even harder to do it with a tablet.

aerialdreams

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
ok, so I'm deciding between a bamboo fun medium and a intuos 4 small. I know all the technical advantages to the Intuos4, but it's so expensive! I would obviously like the Intuos better, but it costs more for a smaller active area. I was wondering whether the 6.2" x 3.9" Intuos area will be enough. I will use it for CG pictures, but I'm not a professional or anything.

mL21

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
Bamboo fun or intuos?

im stuck between trying to choose a tablet. its between the intuous4 small or the bamboo fun medium. im not sure how often it is going to be used as i have never used one but it will most likely be used for image editing. Is it worth paying the extra to get the intuos4 or should i stick to a bamboo fun?

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
To answer the two above posts it is a matter of how much space do you need to work with. I had started out with the small Intuos, 4x6 and it was too small so I bought the 6x8 and nice as it was I still liked and wanted a bigger tablet since I was used to a 16x24 or larger drawing pad in school so that ended with me buying the 9x12 Intuos3. I do like the Intuos pens much better but if size of work space could be an issue the Bamboo would be the way to get started.
I would and have tried this method, cut a piece of paper to the work size of said tablet and see how it would work for you. Then look at the rest of the features each tablet has or lacks and go from there.

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
I can't live without a tablet now. Mice are soooo slow and cumbersome. I'm a video editor, not an illustrator, btw.

The single worst feature of the bamboo models is the crippled driver. Wacom doesn't allow you to customize functions based on application. I like to use my pen clicker as right-click in Photoshop, for instance, but as a middle-click in Firefox. Having to work around the crippled driver is a major pain and a stupid move on Wacom's part. If they think they'd hurt Intuos sales by adding a decent driver to the Bamboos, they're not too smart. The Intuos are a world of difference in feel and quality, but the Bamboos would be awesome for a 2nd (portable) tablet or for people who don't need the quality of the Intuos.

Come on, Wacom, wake up already.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
For those looking at getting a small intuos, remember you can get an intuos3 for much much less. I have one and it's really great, so if money's an issue...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
For those looking at getting a small intuos, remember you can get an intuos3 for much much less. I have one and it's really great, so if money's an issue...

This is what I did but not because of money so much that I got a really great deal on the airbrush and art pen that only work with v3. It sucked but that was the case.
Think about Intuos2 or even 3, they all really do the same.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
This is what I did but not because of money so much that I got a really great deal on the airbrush and art pen that only work with v3. It sucked but that was the case.
Think about Intuos2 or even 3, they all really do the same.

You got the better deal on that one jessica! I bought the tablet in the same marketplace deal and it arrived damaged :( - never mind.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161

It depends on the person. It took me a couple of hours to go from "this thing sucks" to "mice suck". I've exclusively used my 99€ Graphire 4 everyday for the last three years. I don't even have a mouse for my Mac (to my girlfriend's dismay) so I'm kinda biased when I say "get a tablet, it's totally worth it".

I've also used a lot the biggest Intuos 2 (A3 sized) and although the pen itself is much better, the small one I have at home is 90% as good (other models of Graphire I've used were very bad with slippery surfaces, it seems they have all changed now)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.