Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
The title says it all, where is the location that Safari stored the history?

I searched all over and on Google but no answer their :(

Thanks in advance :)

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Library > Caches > Metadata > Safari > History

Hmm, I was pretty sure it’s in ~/Library/Safari/History.plist. In fact, I’m looking at that file right now. The cache would be the temporary version, but the History.plist file will survive the app being quit and reopened (or a restart/log out, etc).

jW

moridin01

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
sorry for bringing up a dead thread but I want to move this folder but everytime i do, it just comes back as soon as I quit safari again. What do i do to move it to a certain place and keep it from being saved anywhere else?

emodro

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
I hope you figured it out by now, but to do something like that you need to set up a symbolic link.

Close Safari
Move directory where you want it (delete original one)
Open up a terminal
type: ln -s <PATH of Directory File> <Path Where you want it>
hit enter.
if you get a permissions error type sudo first.

example

ln -s ~/Library/Safari/History.plist ~/newHistoryPlace/History.plist

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
I hope you figured it out by now, but to do something like that you need to set up a symbolic link.

Close Safari
Move directory where you want it (delete original one)
Open up a terminal
type: ln -s <PATH of Directory File> <Path Where you want it>
hit enter.
if you get a permissions error type sudo first.

example

ln -s ~/Library/Safari/History.plist ~/newHistoryPlace/History.plist

That's the wrong way round. It should be :

ln -s /NewHistoryLocation/History.plist ~/Library/Safari/History.plist

tarl/cabot

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2010
silly (?) question

I am about to have my acting flaky system migrated to a new system. I have a 'lot' of Safari and Firefox 'history' that I maintain. Since my current system aborts and does other various "Microsoft-y" things, I am VERY used to restoring all previous windows from history...no brainer.

Well, my corporate Admin is going to do a migration of my FILES (but not my user ID) to the new system. He is convinced that something in my USER folder is screwed up (and he's giving me the evil IT squinty eye thing that says it's all "user error" :eek:). So, since I'll have a new 'base' image on my new Mac but my apps and files will be moved over...but NONE of my logs, plists, etc....I have a question::confused:

What is the method to cull just the relevant TEMPORARY files from my backup (yes, learned the hard way and have a running Time Machine backup going daily), onto my new machine, so that I can re-open the 50+ Safari and Firefox windows upon launch?

I'm assuming this is a do-able option given the way temp files work..I just need to get the right file, put it in the right place, and launch the app...and the theory is, it'll see the temp file and re-open all files just like I've been doing for many (many) days now...right?

So, who's feeling brilliant out there? Lord knows it's not me...but isn't half the battle knowing what you don't know? ;)

Can someone point me to the right files and let me know if there's any 'tricks' I need to do, hoops to jump through (flaming or otherwise), etc. to accomplish what I'm trying to do here?

thanks for your help ;))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.