Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Just southeast of Northwestshire
I'm having my new PowerBook (yay) delivered today by UPS. It has arrived here in Calgary, but as of 11:30 the UPS site doesn't say "Out for delivery". UPS told me that there's a possibility that it didn't get scanned, but I'm still worried. They do deliveries until 8 tonight, but they rarely come around that late. Do you think it will be delivered today?

*excuse my impatience*

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
Go to UPS.com, type in the tracking number and find the "estimated delivery date". In my experience, it doesn't matter if the package and the UPS facility is in walking distance of your house. If the EDD is next monday, they'll hold your package until next monday (or tuesday+ if the service is 'ground' and they're swamped w/other deliveries). UPS is notorious for doing that. Then again, they're under no obligation to deliver it early.

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Just wait it out. Take the tracker with a grain of salt. I've had the UPS tracker tell me there was an exception on my delivery (Apparently my home address didn't exist, yet it matched exactly what they had listed.) But the truck showed up and delivered my package anyway. (I'm in Edmonton FYI)

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Ah, I agree, I probably should take the UPS thing less seriously. While it is much better than Purolator, you shouldn't take it too seriously.

God yes, don't get me started with Purolator :p As yg17 says, and as my experience has given me, it'll show up, if not today tomorrow for sure.

Love

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Just southeast of Northwestshire
Purolator IS the worst courier ever, by far. Probably the worst service (I can't specify a time for pickup?????!!?!) For some reason this reminds me of a time I had to have a UPS package picked up and I called FedEx :D

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
i've had the UPS give an overly optimistic "estimated" date any number of times. If it doesn't say "out for delivery", then don't expect it no matter what the "estimated" delivery date says......but keep your fingers crossed and maybe you'll get lucky!

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
I'm a bit South of you (Texas) but UPS around here, when it says "out of delivery" we get it that day. Sometimes it does not arrive till around 8pm that day, but it gets here.

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
Same here in NYS I got a package at 1pm. If I were you, I'd stay by the door because a couple of times they would knock lightly and walk away, I had to chase a car down once (because I took the day off to wait), and even then he wouldn't give it to me. Bastard!

giftedgrrl

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Same boat,

im getting a UPS package and it said it was going to come today but it didn't, my package has been fumbling about in north eastern U.S, it even went south and then north again. i need to be at home when its delivered cause the UPS pickup place is an hour away from my house :-( plus i am zoo impatient for my package :)

skier777

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
im getting a UPS package and it said it was going to come today but it didn't, my package has been fumbling about in north eastern U.S, it even went south and then north again. i need to be at home when its delivered cause the UPS pickup place is an hour away from my house :-( plus i am zoo impatient for my package :)

Ive noticed that apple has a very interesting shipping contract with Fed Ex (and maybe UPS too). They have Priority Overnight that arrives by 12 noon, but not 9am like most of the first delivery deals. They also do not deliver on Saturdays, no matter what. And finally, Apple asks that they only deliver and do not release the package to you at a fed ex location (although if you ask, or call, they will eventually hand it over).

Presumably this all has to do with the costs and the contract. It is certainly annoying though for those of us who work M-F and start before noon.

Jaygyver

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
I was the blunt end of Apple's agreement with FedEx last year when I bought my MP. Paid the $50 (US) for the three day shipping and it got here in 1 and a half. AWESOME! I called the FedEx warehouse (that was 8 miles from my house) because it was not "out for delivery" and asked if I could pick it up and they said they couldn't release it until the due date! GAAHHH!!
You would have thought Apple or FedEx would want it to get there faster if anything to just here me gush about how awesome the shipping was.
Now I have to do it again before the new Macs come out with Lion and 200+- odd "non-universal" patched PPC games and applications have to go in the trash.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.